Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

Brazilian people need a visa to come here

Asylum seekers can throw away all identification and we have no idea who they are - and yet we still give them housing here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,975 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe you know "immigration policy" isn't really a concern for the the vast vast majority of voters. Did that ever occur to you?

I'd certainly like to see the process sped up, it has been something that has been badly needed for decades at this stage.

But the chance that I would vote for a party that only had the one issue is nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No

I see that the usuals can't this time label the people backwards culchies for daring to protest about primarily unvetted young male migrants being dumped on their doorstep, so they resort to referring to them as uncouth yobbos on welfare.

And these would be the same ones usually defending welfare.

These protests need to continue, they need to spread.

And I don't care if they are hijacked by the real Far Right.

After all they are the only ones appearing to give a shyte at the moment.

The body politic in this country needs a severe kicking to finally wake up and start putting the priorities of Irish people, taxpayers especially (ironic given the comments earlier and the possible makeup of a lot of the protesters) front and foremost.

I saw someone commented earlier about protesting outside government departments and the ballot box.

Protesting outside government offices does nothing, protesting outside politicians clinics and homes might be the way to finally get a point across to them.

And what choice do people have in the ballot box.

Ever single main political party (FG, FF, Greens, Labour and most especially those on the so called left SF, PBP, Social Dems) are very much in the pockets of vested interests, the NGOs, and the media on this matter. They are actually trying to out do each other.

The only ones not are the religious loons.

If one of the so called right parties in Ireland ditched the religious lunacy, ditched the Irexit crapology they would start winning seats.

I am not allowed discuss …

So if the lunatics ditched their lunacy they would clean up? I don't think that is how it works with them. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No

That kid's family are a real piece of work, they are a plague on community.

Outside of their associates no one in East Wall view him as anything but a turd and deserving of life in jail.

Same with regard to Josh Dunne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

I wonder why one of the parties hasn't adopted an anti chancer-migrant stance, you would imagine what you call the backwards culchies and uncouth yobbos would most definitely vote for them. Is it that they don't want to look bad in front of the UN and the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well apparently the crowd reaction when someone held up a poster of Mary Lou didn't go down well. There were loads of boos, a fact noted by those outside the state.

Interesting times ahead.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭RoTelly

No

Too easy to make this about race.

How are we handling asylum seeker applications, both arguments are forgetting they are not yet refugees until Ireland has give them asylum, how long does this process take? How long will 400 or so single men be in that office block? Is it safe not just from the "unvetted" point of view but also from their own point of view.

The argument for Irish emigration is a pointless one. While I agree there were plenty of Irish that over stayed their welcome in US, Aus and Canada, there were plenty (likely myself) that applied for visa and permanent residences legally. My initial visa was straight forward enough but PR was a long process.

There has to be a certain amount of coldness to the process. We seem to have this thing of highlighting an injustice when its simply policy.

Either we agree to open boarders and scrape all immigration laws into the country or we have immigration policy.

But I wonder how many other countries in Europe would agree to open boarders.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No

367 votes cast and poll still a ratio of 64% to 36% in favour of not racist.

A Red C poll on it to the wider public would be interesting. I don't think the results would be too different.

People have every right to demand consultation over such changes to their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Seems a bit of a mix there to be honest. Why was her picture held up in the first place?

• Advertisement

No

Outside of this issue, the class divide between the modern SF activist and the support base, is going to be very difficult to square in Govt.

Especially in Dublin and Cork. Less pronounced elsewhere.

Yes

So if North Inner City is traditionally a very SF area, who will they vote for now I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But what has happened to those countries?

Seriously, people bang on about immigration on the continent as if Europe was an absolute oasis of peace and calm before the pesky outsiders ruined everything. You'd be forgiven for thinking that Europe had not been an almost perpetual battlefield of bloody atrocities perpetrated by white Europeans against white Europeans. Instead, it seems to be the case that the death of Europe is actually not all that, but the presence of migrants.

But sadly for that narrative, the EU countries remain among the safest, most progressive, most tolerant places one could ever hope to find themselves.

This whole trope of "look what's happening in Europe" is just such a weird argument based on a desperate attempt to build this narrative of seething migrant no-go areas where all (including the police) fear to tread. Oh yes, and let's not forget that dangerous areas in cities did not exist in Europe before late 20th century migration patterns. Sadly, the good old days of a crime-free Utopia in Dublin are now over, because of them bloody [insert latest darling nationality of attention here].

Yes

it's especially glaring as the North Inner City was always the one of the roughest parts of Dublin. When I was a teenager you couldn't go near Sheriff St unless you knew people from there, I had classmates from there in the 90s so I'd be there sometimes and even in Noctors once or twice, but you needed someone to vouch for you. I remember it being on the news that cars were being stoned and pulled over when driving through. It is far better now than it ever has been and the only recent violent crimes I can think of involved local kids.

Not all immigrants are the same though, so are skilled and come to work, others are low skilled and require state help. This is where the friction is coming from. I think the original UN refugee convention, didn't really take into account that people would migrate to places with better welfare. That was not really the intention of it. For me it makes sense that Ukrainians would come to European countries as they have nowhere else to go, it makes sense to move into the neighbouring countries. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that someone fleeing a far off conflict in East Africa or Afghanistan would come here. There are other safe places near by.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree TM. The biggest problem we have here on this immigation matter(and others) is all of the main parties are singing from the same hymn sheet. They're all saying more migrants! Not one of them is calling for any debate on it. Not one is willing to ask questions of these policies and practices in the middle of a housing crisis and health crisis. If anyone does raise a question even in the Dail they're shouted down. It's not too far off accusing the Church of dodgy practices in 1950's Ireland. A largely forbidden subject.

The only ones that aren't singing from the same hymn sheet are indeed the right wing fringe elements who want a return to their mammy's ireland, comely maidens and no vaccinations, and they couldn't fill a stationwagon with their voters. Nobody with a functioning braincell would vote for them and their ilk and it seems most Irish voters do have at least one functioning braincell because they get bugger all votes. Double figures would be a good result.

I'm far more left of centre than right, save on this subject, but I don't want to see the rise of an actually effective right wing party here because people aren't being listened to, or feel they haven't. Right wing parties across the EU make hay with the subject of migrants and it has gained pace over the last decade.

Oh but people vote and are happy with their votes in our representative democracy so there's no stomach for more right wing policies? OK, but consider this: well over 80% of people vote for the mainstream parties, independents make up the rest. Both SSM and Repeal were backed by the same mainstream parties, yet over a third of voters in both referendums went against that and said nay. 80% of voters voted to close the jus soli loophole, one that drove much of the same extra EU migration during the Celtic Tiger, even when SF, Labour and others were screaming racism! at the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The working class area of East Wall – which is located in the constituency of Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald – saw much of the crowd expressing frustration with the Dublin Central TD and her party over their apparent silence on the issue during recent protests.

What exactly they think they were going to get from SF? When has that party's leadership expressed any skepticism about 'mass immigration'? Silence is the most sympathetic response they could hope for, in contrast to the loud denuniciations of the protests as racist from other opposition parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

We've had this conversation before.

A 'vast vast' majority of 1.4 million (79%) had an issue with immigration policy when we went to the polls on the Jus Soli issue, a bigger majority in favour of closing the loophole than there was for SSM or bodily autonomy for women.

Since then the electorate has never ever been consulted on anything to do with immigration policy.

I don't think that was anti-immigrant, it was a loop hole that was being taken advantage of. I don't think people like the idea of the country being taken advantage of like that, basically being scammed. It is similar to Pamela Izevbekhai, a lot wanted her deported because she made up lies to help her asylum case. I voted for the Jus Soli amendment and I would vote for it again. I am pro-immigration if it is right kind (EU or highly skilled non-EU). I wouldn't see any reason to have taxi drivers from outside the EU for example.

No

Probably still will, people are sticky when it comes to voting for parties, pun not intended.

Add in another 100k next year and even the Ayn Rand approach of the modern Left to migration will begin to collapse under the weight.

Many left wing parties have copped on across Europe, the Labour party in Britain are starting to, eventually the left here will as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We've always had problems so why not add some more is essentially your argument. It's a terrible argument, as no sane society wants to deal with more issues than they have to. What made the West once great was a constant attempt to improve our conditions, yet now the argument is that we should abandon that philosophy and essentially take our share of the worlds problems. All that does is slowly, or quickly, lower the quality of our lives, and for some reason some people think that that's something we should champion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Yes

So surely it's a no brainer for FG or FF to say "we'll stop economic migrants" before the next election and they'll clean up. I can't think of any other way SF can lose the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Yes

Lol. The posters on boards current affairs forum are not representative of the wider public. If they were we would see the NP in power and Gemma as pres.

Yes

There's some truth in that. If you look at the discussions on Reddit Ireland, which is quite a younger audience, the attitudes towards all this are quite different.

I don't think we did, but you mean the 27th Amendment, which was first proposed by FF and put to the people when they were in governance?

It was loophole that needed to be closed because of a previous amendment. There was very little real opposition to it.

We were effective outliers in Europe, I am surprised more didn't vote it.

What a loophole that needed closing nearly 20 years ago has got to do with now is a strange one.

Yes

The same attitudes are there in the older audiences but there is a subset of middle aged men with tens of thousands of anti immigrant posts behind them which seems to make up quite a lot of this forum and they all love their twitter accounts. When you look at the voting results, 90+% of the votes that these scummers get are from boards users mainly I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No

These type of generalizing blanket states really don't help the argument as much as you think it does.....

No

Who wants to stop economic migrants?

They don't have to be all Liz Truss on it either though

• Advertisement

Yes

illegal economic migrants posing as asylum seekers then? is that what people are against?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement