Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

Cmon man it's by far and away mostly 40+ men on here who's politics sway in a particular direction. I'd say most people are too busy working and living their lives to even think about immigration and how it affects them, so maybe it's not quite the vote winner we might think it is after all. I've nothing better to do these days than post here as I'm not working right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

Yes, that's the one.

Well I'm afraid that's the only time in the history of the state the Irish electorate were asked to vote on an issue related to immigration so even though it is nearly 20 years ago, I think it blows your claim out of the water that the 'vast vast majority' of people in Ireland don't have any concerns about immigration policy.

I would argue that the 'vast vast majority of people' actually do have concerns but they don't have a say or a voice on our immigration policy. And that is what is causing protests like the one we see in East Wall.

Do you honestly believe that the people of Ireland would have voted for Roderic's own door policy? Or Helen's amnesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,975 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was nothing to do with immigration or least very little to do with immigration, the vast vast amount of immigration came from the EU and still does, or the EU and UK, North America and Oz.

The question was about citizenship.

The irony being there is millions around the world who have never even set foot in Ireland that would have right to citizenship to this day, but no influx.

I think it blows your claim out of the water that the 'vast vast majority' of people in Ireland don't have any concerns about immigration policy

It's not really a claim though is, it's a fact, isn't it? I mean if it were true the likes of Renua would be in government, but where are they now?

As for our migration policy.

The majority of immigrants come from the European Union, especially Poland, while the second largest group is from the United Kingdom, followed by Eastern Europe, in particular from Lithuania, Latvia, and the Czech Republic. According to the 2021 Central Statistics Office data, migrants arriving in Ireland and not members of the European Union mostly come from Australia, Canada and the United States

I can't see Irish people voting for Irexit or a change in Anglo - Irish relations.

Do you?

No it doesn't because Renua ran on an anti abortion and anti same sex marriage platform which I disagreed with completely, as I am sure many poeple did as was evidenced by the results of the polls on both those referenda.

And nice move dodging the question I asked.

I'll give you the courtesy of answering yours though. No, I wouldn't want to change anglo-irish relations or leave the EU and I don't think many Irish people would. And in any case, the issue isn't with legal immigration from the UK and EU members.

What either of those issues has got to do with the 800% increase in international protection applications ever since O'Gorman's own door policy was announced I'm not sure.

I'll ask again, would the Irish electorate vote for o'Gorman's own door policy? Or Helen's amnesty? It's not like the EU forced us to do it or that there is a directive like with Ukranian refugees, we have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

would the Irish electorate vote for o'Gorman's own door policy?

Well if the bould Roddy was offering to put up all the refugees in his own gaff I'd say there'd be a few takers for that...

• Advertisement

Oh okay, sure you should have said, you have nothing against the vast vast majority of immigration, it's the very thin edge of the wedge, asylum seekers.

I think most people would champion the amnesty TBH.

As for "O'Gormans own door policy", how realistic do you think that is? 😂

The reality is we treat asylum seekers horrendously for decades and not always legally, we also agree to take in the bare minimum, but we don't even fulfil those obligations. Even this year we suspended rights around their movement here.

The vast majority of asylum seekers don't come near us, they travel to other countries into the EU, unless there is a radical change in that, I don't see any radical changes in our international obligations, which I will add include speeding up the process and not treating them with such utter contempt as we have historically.

I think we can both agree on that final point, agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

No

The way things are going its like the government don't believe in an Irish nation anymore....just a landmass of new economic units

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yes

Bloody hell I am embarrassed watching that as a Dub. I loved yer man's answer to where he was from - 'Planet Earth'.

And the significance of the comment seemed to be lost on the 'ladies'. Who to put it politely sound like they are on the lower end of the food chain.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think immigrants who come to work hard add a lot more to Ireland than Irish multi generational welfare families. Patriotism means doing something positive for the country, not waving a flag.

Yes

Hadn't seen that clip, Jesus. Proper scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Yes

I live in the area and wrote a letter about it to local TDs. My concern was lack of communication allowing bad actors (far right in this case) an in to strike fear into locals with lies etc.

Paschal O'Donohoe responded saying they (He and councillor McAdam) found out Thursday and contacted residents they had contacts for that day.

He said local residents and the local residents group (the real one) are concerned with how the protests are painting the area.

This is the chain of events as far as I can established.

-Word gets out of their arrival sometime on Thursday.

-Irish National Party (fascists) send a fake 'resident' in to video the bus's arrival. The woman making the video keeps repeating she is a resident and she sees single men (military age bla bla bla) arriving, she says 'not vetted', vulnerable woman locally etc. to feed into the narrative that male immigrants are rapists fed through BNP and UK and continental far right groups.

-They flood local facebook, watsapp, ticktock with this video and pretend an 'organic protest on saturday'.

The truth was (as The National Party well knew), the men arrive first a few days before the women. And they were mostly being moved from other places in Ireland.

If locals knew the video was propaganda and they were being manipulated by NAZI leaser Justin Barrett to attack desperate families how many would have turned up?

The issue here is the abominable housing crisis and chickensh1t communication which allows fascists to astroturf "protests".

Same simple formula has been used successfully by these fascists for years. Politiicans telling the truth like Gary Gannon get savaged then by these right wing 'patriots' who collude with Northern loyalists and UK nazis.

Sick of this now. People just need to get back to being honest and fair and stop being sucked in by this stupidity.

Hitler quote from Men Kampf on Barrets Telegram channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’d say that’s exactly what the dark skinned blue Milesians from Northern Spain who were the first to arrive in Ireland felt when the pale skinned, blondes red celts arrived from Indo Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I swear some people don't think before they type. The above is an anti immigration argument, and not the pro immigration gotcha that you thought it was.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

And how do asylum seekers from outside the EEA factor into that equation?

As I mentioned above, it doesn't make sense to me to be taking asylum seekers from the other side of the world. The UN refugee convention from 1954 needs to be looked at again, IMO, it was written at a time when we didn't have the kind of welfare state that we have now. It makes sense to take Ukrainians who don't have anywhere else to go other than EU countries.

Yes

so it's 80 single men according to the Examiner. I thought it was 100s. Yeah that's really going to cripple the hospitals and GPs in the part of Ireland with more services than anywhere else. And he's right, no one should get to dictate who lives where. I'd gladly take some of those fellows rather than some of my neighbours back home but that's not up to me is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

All we can do is vote is these sell outs OUT- which as a former FG voter I most certainly will be doing at every opportunity

Yes

who are you gonna vote in that will change all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Hardly, more the fact that we have always been a melting pot of all the people that settled here which is what makes us great. I did like your use of the word gotcha though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

No harm with giving refuge to those who actually need it/deserve it, up to the point we run out of resources (quickly approaching) - however many of these people are not even Ukrainian. This year has seen a spike in asylum seekers from all over the world.

Also from the same cso article (2016).. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

The reality is, with the exception of EU immigrants and UK/USA, the rest are a net drain on this country overall, having higher than average levels of unemployment.

The idea that these 100s of men (and some women apparently) dropped in east wall are going to be some economic boon to the area is balderdash

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

Yes I agree the process should be speeded up and the endless appeal process too.

You say we 'agree to take in the bare minimum.'

Can you link to the bare minimum figure please? And also to the figure we are obliged to take. Or is that your opinion?

According to this article we've taken in more international protection applicants this year than we have in the last 20 years.

Is the bare minimum 10,000 per 9 months? What is our obligation?

Yes

To be fair, most Ukrainians have been here 5 minutes and may not even speak any English at all or may have very young kids and no one to look after them. Give them a chance to settle.

Oh, I don't disagree. We need quality immigration, we couldn't have the tech industry without it. We don't need low skilled immigrants from outside the EU, even if it makes it easier to get people to work in care homes, we need to look at the total cost which if they have kids in school etc, is significant.

In saying that, it still doesn't mean people should be shouting racist abuse at people who do make it here. A lot of the demonstrators seem to be the life long dole heads who I would class as about as much value to Ireland as a migrant looking to go on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

Dunno yet but it’s certainly none of the sellouts that are foisting this rubbish on the Irish people

The most recent scheme

In response to the crisis, Ireland created a special scheme – the Afghan Admissions Programme (AAP) – to help Afghans travel to Ireland to stay with family members who were already living in the State.

The programme opened in December last year and was limited to 500 places, with each resident here able to nominate up to four Afghan family members for a place. When it closed in March it had received a total of 528 applications.

Despite the deadline passing five months ago, the Department of Justice has yet to issue decisions on any of the applications, leaving Afghans in limbo as they seek to join their family in Ireland.

We also agreed to take in a relative small amount of Syrians, which we still haven't fulfilled in total yet AFAIK.

According to this article we've taken in more international protection applicants this year than we have in the last 20 years

Hardly surprising given the pandemic. Similar patterns all over Europe including the UK - who got their borders back, something, something.

But a ray of light at the end of that article though.

New regulations to fast-track the application process for people from “safe countries” (reducing the time span from two years to two months) will be put into operation within the next few months, it is understood

We don't need low skilled immigrants from outside the EU, even if it makes it easier to get people to work in care homes, we need to look at the total cost which if they have kids in school etc, is significant.

You don't look at costs without looking at value.

So in fact we need who ever adds value.

The only people who look at costs are frugal accountants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Advertisement

But even that, the employment rate is startling.

Hopefully they will inspire some of our own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement