Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He’s not even giving anyone the choice of either liking or lumping anything, he’s reminding people that they don’t get to decide who does or doesn’t live within the community.

It has nothing to do with democracy. The point he’s making is that Government aren’t going to be intimidated by any number of protests or protesters into making any decisions one way or the other about accommodating asylum seekers and refugees. That would be the opposite of a democracy in any case.

For that statement alone he’d get my vote if I were in his constituency, as it shows he isn’t completely spineless, he’s got some bit of a backbone in letting people know where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There needs to be a net benefit though. If you look at bringing in someone to work in a care home, they might bring family with them who will possible use schools, hospitals etc. These are all additional costs on the state that could potentially be avoided by increasing the salary in the care home (which the business would pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

So just a limit on Afghans and Syrians around the time of that conflict. We've more than made up for that with our response to the Ukrainian war I'm sure you'll agree.

I was talking about international protection applications in general, as you were originally I'm sure. Not sure what the pandemic has to do with anything, that's a strange link to make.

Surely the limit would have kicked in by now given that 800% rise.

In reality there is no upward limit is there? Otherwise I'm sure you'd be able to link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No

I work in tech, alot of those coming in to work in tech are highly educated, but I would argue on the highly skilled.

We already have a massive available talent pool for IT. I don't really understand why Irish companies are so quick to push to recruit non EU staff when EU or Irish would work just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 39,975 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The value is a net benefit, someone's mother or grand father gets looked after. Someone with acute special needs gets looked after, etc, etc. I would suggest invaluable.

If you increase costs, these will be passed onto the service user. But they should certainly be remunerated properly for the work they do, everyone should.

All jobs even unpaid ones create value in an economy and a society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I guess it depends on the company you work for and how long you have been in the industry. I don't claim to be an expert on the current situation as I haven't moved job in a while. I have been in the industry for over 20 years and during the bubble period, you couldn't find people very easily, CS was not very popular with Irish students at the time. So, we had a fair few non EU, ironically enough, mostly Russians and Ukrainians!

Well, I think if the same benefit to the person being looked after could be achieved without the additional costs, it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You would hope the IDA or whatever state agency is responsible is constantly liaising with these companies asking why they need to bring in so many workers, asking where Ireland needs to up its game in terms of education & training to provide employees that meet their needs.

That is unlikely though, costs will be passed on or unviable businesses will close.

So what you will end up is people, skills and value leaving the work force to become essentially carers.

We have seen it for the past decade or more, more acutely in women who have put their careers on hold because of the high costs of child care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

No

Leo has spoken!

You dont get to complain about 300 unvetted males from vastly different cultures dumped into tight knit and cohesive Irish communities...I mean what could go wrong....just not in Leo's backyard though

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41013416.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No

You would hope so, I am not high enough to tell you!!

But it starts with the colleges, certain courses, especially masters are flooded with non EU, which in turn lead to alot of job applications from non EU.

And I am not saying non EU workers, can't be great, I work with many that are, but the sheer numbers I just can't understand.

At the company I work in our graduate programme has had more non EU than EU, let alone Irish the last year years, which doesn't seem correct (and yes I have brought this up)

I'm sure. Not sure what the pandemic has to do with anything, that's a strange link to make.

The amount of people seeking protection during the pandemic went down.

Now in Europe there is an upsurge, as I pointed out this is not unique to Ireland.

It's pretty straight forward TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No

Last time I looked the UN and the EU are not our elected officials. On the protesting part I assume protesting outside these TD houses will be fine ?

A lot of Tech firms in Ireland are struggling to fill vacancies, even with access to non EU markets. 3-4 times the normal rate of vacancies.

It's one of the main reasons touted for mergers and it's not exclusive to the tech industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

No

If the govt provided some clarity on this, then there wouldn't be anywhere near as many issues, its telling that they're not. Where are these asylum seekers coming from, whats their reason for fleeing, did they tear up documentation & lose their passports, how many countries did they travel through to get to Ireland, why were they moved on from these countries? These are all valid questions which require some degree of proof which if the asylum seeker is being honest shouldn't be difficult to provide

Ireland (Dublin) has little to no direct flights coming from African cities or even middle eastern countries. So why werent they stopped at the first country they arrived at? With Nigerians & Ukrainians, I can understand to a degree why they may have come here as the majority of both those peoples speak English well. But still, Nigeria is not in a serious conflict & the majority of Ukraine isnt either.

People have concerns and rightly so, its funny the majority of posters backing this mass immigration of asylum seekers & refugees dont even live in this country but reside in countries with extremely strict immigration policy's themselves, Uk, the US and Australia. Says it all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A lot of Tech firms in Ireland are struggling to fill vacancies, even with access to non EU markets. 3-4 times the normal rate of vacancies.

And I'm sure that you never even considered that a lack of places for people to live may have an influence on that? I've seen many threads about techies being offered jobs in Ireland but decided to say no on Reddit due to the housing situation. You're not one for joining dots though are you, Boggles? No matter how obviously connected these things may be.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

not in a serious conflict & the majority of Ukraine isnt either

Please, not this absolute scutter again.

Around 10 million currently inside Ukraine have no power. 1000s if not 10s of 1000s may simply freeze to death in the next 3-4 months.

But but but me concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No

The government/media should not be allowed call anyone an "asylum seeker" without saying what war/regime etc. they are victims of.

Just because they are floating around on rafts 3km off the coast of Libya does not make them an asylum seeker.

And now genuine asylum seekers in addition to locals of these provision centres are clearly paying the price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yippee, the rise of the right, this should be interesting!

The vacancies are 3 fold the average. In an industry where geography isn't really that important any more.

So whilst yes accommodation is an issue it does not explain the disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe the non-EU on the graduate program were studying here? I can't imagine a company would go through the whole visa thing for a new graduate. They might for a few really exceptional ones, but would think its unlikely on any scale. I have brought a couple of people over in past, but general fairly highly skilled. One of the best developers I ever worked with was from Moldova, although we didn't bring him over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Note he keeps namechecking Ukrainians. People we don't have any issues with. Those being shipped into East Wall are as Ukrainian as I am. Oh and this is the same Leo talking three years ago this month

The Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said two eastern European countries are the "big drivers" behind a rise in asylum seekers coming to Ireland. Mr Varadkar said that Georgian and Albanian migrants are travelling to Ireland with fake documents.

In an interview in today's Sunday Independent, Mr Varadkar said controls were being stepped up at airports to stop illegal entry and claimed the measures were having an effect.

He added: “There are lots of ways to enter Ireland legally with a visa or work permit so we cannot tolerate illegal entry.”

And yet today... We seem to tolerate it well enough. Our deportation process for those scammers who've been found guilty of being scammers is essentially a voluntary one by any other name. You're handed a deportation order and pretty much expected to go on your own way, or just go back out into the black market or get free legal aid to keep appeals going. From 2011 to 2018 only one in five who were served deportation orders actually left.

It's a complete farce and then you have that O'Gormon inviting more in. Come on in, free housing etc. Certainly not to people from the EU of course. Add in the highest social welfare supports in the EU(which I'm for. For Irish people), one in five chance of being kicked out and a political system that will quash any questions? No wonder we're such a popular destination.

And I seem to recall refugee centres being legally opposed and blocked in leafy suburbia. Halting sites regularly are for all sorts of "reasons". Two have been so blocked in my area over the years. So it does seem that who you are and where you're from and how many resources you have to block such things you can indeed choose who lives near you Leo.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The only criteria required to refer to anyone as an asylum seeker, is that they are seeking asylum. Demanding that Government or the media shouldn’t be permitted to refer to asylum seekers as asylum seekers, amounts to nothing more than a silly notion which would achieve nothing.

It has no impact on asylum seekers or ‘locals of any provision centres’ either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

The residents of the likes of Vico Road would greatly benefit from a Direct Provision Centre or two situated right beside them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No

Try going to Australia or US and claim to be a refugee seeking asylum from Ireland and see how that works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

Don't they have one in Stillorgan? Far leafier part of Dublin than I've ever lived in. Not everyone would care. I'd love to see one in Dalkey or Castleknock just so people would shut up about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement