Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Martinez gotta earn his corn now.

Not sure Eden Hazard is still the man at this level. Maybe bring on the brother or Trossard?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That is one of the most one sided first halves so far, and somehow Canada are behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seems Kenny Cunningham and Shay don't know the rules. That VAR literally cannot check those, that's it out of their remit to give a pen for an event that takes place after the whistle is blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

BBC saying it was checked as the ref had not whistled and it was decided the defender won the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ that seems mad if so... are they saying the whistle was just after it then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice little nutmeg on De Bruyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tielemans deservedly hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That's what I think Lineker said before showing an angle of the defender getting the slightest touch

• Advertisement

Both Belgian subs now booked. Not what Martinez was planning I'm assuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Whatever the result tonight, I think Canada have a great chance of going through. Would love to see them nick a point here though, at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From replay at HT, whistle hadn't gone when the foul happened. So the contact on the ball was enough to not give it, even though defender got possession only due to the foul

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Belgium are decidely crap De Bruyne might as well not be playing in the first hour. Canada much the better team. Belgium will be doing well to finish with 11 men.

Why are you shooting from there Laryea? Canada just lacking that bit of nous round the goal...

The lack of end product from Canada is starting to be much more obvious now. Just don’t have that bit of quality where it counts, whereas Belgium have it in spades as bad as they’ve been tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

whatever happens tonight the Canada players have been a credit to their country.

ive said it before but I still believe Belgium have wasted a golden generation with Martinez at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ronnie Whelan has an awful negative miserable attitude. Still he’s better than Kenny Cunningham and his fake stand up comedy routine.

Serious lack of composure and footballing intelligence from Canada now. Heart will only get you so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Must be exhaustion. They have been going at full tilt for the whole game.

Yeah they looked like a team that were relying on a first half goal to either defend or build on.

They appear to have nothing left, physically and mentally.

• Advertisement

Openda is having a good season. I can see him putting the game to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought that header was going to hit the back of the net!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

That tackle should be a sending off. He scissored him out of it.

This Canada side is such a frustrating team to watch. It’s like watching a team of Adama Traores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Belgium are bad, they're lucky that they only played Canada tonight.

Feel sorry for Canada. Probably deserved a draw. Belgium look an aging side that has seen its best years. Doesn't help that KDB was off it. Lukaku hasn't played many minutes, so I don't see him making much difference. If I were Croatian or Moroccan, I'd be feeling much more optimistic than I would have been before the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ah that's so gutting. Canada were great, galling that they're leaving the pitch empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fingers crossed that Canada still have something left in the tank for the remaining two matches. The likes of Alphonso Davies was out on his feet with about 20 minutes to go, but that could have been due to his recent hamstring injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Unlucky for the Canadians, Belgium looked poor, maybe they'll play themselves into it,win their next game and they're in the record books,9 group win in a row,are Canada goose- d?

• Advertisement

Both Croatia and Belgium looked like jaded, past-it teams today. Can't see either of them doing anything even if they make it out of the group...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

Belgium really have wasted their golden generation by having Martinez at the helm, I was actually shocked to see he was still in charge. Absolutely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

KDB got MoM!? He was terrible (as were most of the Belgian players to be fair). Enjoyed watching Canada, hopefully they can scrape through

Never seen him so poor. His passing was fairly abysmal. A joke that he got motm.

He said as much himself, something along the lines of he didn't think he was good and wasn't sure why he got the award

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

Yeah just came to reply that he said himself that he shouldn't have got it. If you have to give it to a Belgian player then Courtouis I suppose. Anyway, trivial stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Star power BS and bias towards attacking players as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Switzerland v Cameroon has 0-0 plastered all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Averaging 2.75 goals per game for first 12 matches. Fair enough, we're less than 20% of the way through but that's the highest since Spain 82. No doubt skewed by England's 6-2 and Spain's 7-0 but big scorelines like that happened in other World Cups too.

Without researching I'd say the one 0-0 in Russia 18 was a big outlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Early days in this match yet but 3 and a bit African sides have played so far and none have scored. Only one has conceded though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found a list of the average amount of goals scored per WC. Italia 90 stands out as the worst by a good bit. USA 94 - France 98, and Brazil 2014, all had more goals than Russia 2018.

But I think another poster said the problem on the pitch is not really goals. The problem with this WC is a lot of teams play the same style globally. And cancel each other out. It does not make for great viewing at times.

I don’t know about other posters, but I find when there is a contrast of styles that makes for a more entertaining match. It is less likely to happen in world football today due to the globalisation of football- foreign coaches etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Akanji missed a sitter for Switzerland, free header from 5 yards out, dead centre of the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Breel Embolo scoring against the country of his birth sounds like a good trivia question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Uruguay with a combined age of 71 covering Heung Min Son's wing this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Swiss should have won by a couple more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You'de want to have very good shin guards going up against those 2 auld lads.

Pleased to see Hwang Ui-jo start for South Korea. He was impressive in a really dire Bordeaux team last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One thing that definitely isn't as impressive anymore now that the world has opened up is centurian international players.

Used to be quite rare, and you'd name the bulk of them from a given nation as a result, now it seems every country in the World Cup has at least one current player with at least 100 caps.

Allure is gone. As Keane said 'everyone plays international nowadays'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This Korea v Uruguay match is fairly lively, not many chances yet though - plenty of energy. I am not sure who I should shout for though? I like Son. However, I like Godin, Valverde. But Suarez is a bit of prick, great player though.

Plus Uruguay remind me of the Dubs with the colours and style of play - good technically, high work-rate but can have a bit of edge at times. I see Godin as Jonny Cooper!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

There are 600+ players now.

The first, Billy Wright, took 12 years to get to his tally. Mohammed al Khilaiwi of Saudi Arabia got 163 in less than 9 years - averaging 17 a year.

Ronaldo will be in line for his 192nd cap tonight - he's a month into his 20th season as a full international.

• Advertisement
Advertisement