Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I wouldn't really be able to offer to much longer ownership advice. I've a 40 SVE since last march and have just under 30,000km on the clock and apart from an issue with the DC charging at the very start it hasn't missed a beat. The problem was a faulty (from new) cable on the loom which needed to be replaced under warranty - it did take the dealer weeks to figure out the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Has anyone heard back from their Leaf orders this year yet. Still waiting on an order from march. I know about the delays etc just wondering if anyone got a call

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Ordered March (SVE-40) : Collected August.

Was told at the time that the dealer had had the vast majority of their orders for the year cancelled by Nissan - effectively anyone ticking an options box it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭ElitesTeam

How much should it cost to replace brake pads roughly. car is squeaking when moving slow so prob them. service book this week in windsor. wondering the cost incase they offer to do it? for a gen 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Can anyone with a Leaf40 confirm if they experience torque steer when accelerating hard? I test drove a used one last week at a main dealer and it nearly took me into the next lane when I put the foot down. When I look it up, some owners claim torque steer is a thing, but surely this is a tracking issue at the very least, perhaps something more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

there is a touch of it when you floor it but nothing that would put me off driving it quick. People can be dramatic about these things - it isn't a fast car

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Torque steer is typical of all FWD cars with some power, and noticeable more on the LEAF40. I quite like hitting it hard into the turns on quiet bigger roads and steering it back onto position, same with the bigger battery version with even more power. Some FWD cars dampen it better than others, like the e-Megane or Polestar 2 according to reviews, with similar sub 8 sec 0-100km/h performance. Electric cars are heavy, so they will never be that spritely unless they have massive grip through AWD and big tyres, well-distributed weight, or even smaller battery packs and non-metal chassis like the i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Leaf like many other fwd cars can suffer from excessive torque steer if the front wishbone bushings are softened or torn/damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You won't see it til March 2023 the earliest. They aren't building any til then after stopping the line in July. Dealers aren't being upfront as they know they will lose more orders. I expect the price will be higher too.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Lost first bar in leaf 152 24Kwh at the start of the year, recently I noticed some range issues - commute seems to use 5%+ each way since start of October - bit colder I thought. This week I charged on ecars from 55% to 80% used 3.6Kwh and 50% to 100% used 8.2Kwh. That kinda says battery is down to about 16.4Kwh? bit of a shock, still only one bar gone, but battery seems to have lost 1/3rd capacity. Anyone have anything similar happen?

• Advertisement

It will take less of a charge when cold. Really noticeable in smaller battery cars

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You are somewhere between ~80-85% since you are only 1 bar down.

You can’t extrapolate capacity based on the SoC figure as it’s not linear.

And also note that when new you have 22kWh usable, not 24kWh.

And as said, colder weather affecting it slightly too.

No this was excessive, definitely not just a gentle tug on the wheel or me being dramatic. I have driven pretty nippy cars before, and while by no means an expert, my gut says it is something out of the ordinary. I have only ever driven RWD EVs before, so thought I would ask here for some advice from seasoned Leaf drivers.

This was my thinking too. Log book hadn't registered a service in 4 years and the dealer said it hadn't been serviced by them yet. Rest of the car was very clean, low mileage. It was probably hopped off kerbs or speed bumps.

Right, and it could also be out of spec front alignment in general. We used to have new L24 and L40 and now L30 and the current (oldest and highest mileage) car is suffering from torque steer a bit more so the bushings are on the eventual to-do list. But none of the cars have been particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Did you check what brand tyres were on it.......maybe they were cheap "ditch finders"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

Ordered mine (SVE 40) end of March and finally got it about three weeks ago. Price went up by €2,200 though. Really happy with the car overall. You might be lucky and get a call but I'd contact the dealer if I were you.

Could have been alight. The dealer serviced it and it was sold the next day apparently, so must not have been too hard to sort out. Back to scouting for me again!

Had a hard time finding this stated specifically in thread and online. Apologies if I missed it. Did the 2018 Leaf 40 come with 6.6 kW as standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have a 171 30kWh leaf. 83,000km up on the clock, 3 bars now gone and SOH 72.19%. Got the car last year with 59,000km and it had 89% SOH. I knew something was up as it was degredating very quickly. Read up a bit about the update required but I'm not sure precisely what I needed done. I Dropped the car to nissan dealer today for a service and asked for the update to be done that was required due to miss readying of battery. They said there was a recall on the LIB controller which would be done also. I didn't know if this was the same thing?

Got the car back and state of health is still only 72.19%.

Is there a way to check if the update needed was done?

Reading a lot saying they only lost a bar or two well over 100,000km.

LIB controller doesn’t sound like the right one.

I posted the exact one a few times on here. You can read it out on LeafSpy also via the advanced menu. If no one else posts it I’ll try to find it later.

Cheers. I'm going to give them a buzz tomorrow but wouldn't mind knowing exactly what I'm looking for before calling them because definitely seems something isn't right.

That's definitely not right. For that sort of degradation you would need to exclusively fast charge the car every time. I have a 24kWh 2014 Leaf with similar miles and only 2 bars gone

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

This old post contains the info you need.

If you've leaf spy, check your BMS firmware version. If 4A, it needs updating to 4C. The campaign No. is P8318. It was never a recall and just has to be asked for specifically.

I got mine done years ago in belgard nissan.

My 30kwh leaf just lost it's 2nd bar at 156k km.

That's what I'm getting. I rang nissan dealer who serviced it. They told me they put the latest software on it and that the system they have tells them what the most recent one is. They said it should be reading 4NR6B now after their update and it was 4NR6A. They said there is no other update for my car. I mentioned about the degradation being high and they just fobbed it off and said unless it's 7 bars there is nothing to be done. I have 9 bars which is fine.

This definitely isn't right but they were fairly adamant everything is fine.

I think they are right in terms of no updates required. It was usually 161/162's that needed the update (i.e. the first L30's off the production line) and 171+ generally had the correct software already.

The ones that needed the update showed "4NR4A 0605" and needed to go to "4NR4C 0611"

The ones with 4NR6A did not have that software issue.

So, you probably have some actual weak cells dragging your overall battery down rather than a software problem.

Drive the car down to a low SoC (<10%) and look at the histogram of cell voltages in LeafSpy and LeafSpy should tell you if you have weak cells or not by showing up a banner with the weak cell numbers.

Unfortunately, like the dealer says, there isn't much you can do until you hit the warranty limit of 70%, which doesn't look like its too far away so you'll just need to wait for that to happen and then look for a warranty fix.

The 4NR6A HV BATTERY is the out of date firmware version. There is 4NR6B update available. The HX=61.77% will probably lead to SOH of about 90% with the correct firmware based on somebody else's experience here:

For our 2016 the firmware was 4NR4A->4NR4C but your 2017 has that f/w with '6'.

Post edited by sh81722 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just so you are aware the battery BMS can be reset to 100% and then driven around a short while to get it to 89%, thereafter the SOH will plummet to what it really should be at. Not saying this happened but just letting you know.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone having issues with the Nissan EV app?

Can't get mine to update the battery status. Last time it worked was 25th November.

It still let's me start remote heating though.

Advertisement