Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

“Women habitually wear revealing clothing and drink too much, although no such evidence had been levelled against the victim.”

Coiuld you imagine the uproar (which would be totally justified, obviously)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's phrased provocatively so that people can claim she's doing it intentionally. Yes she's unlucky but truthfully all of those things have happened to me, multiple times, sometimes my fault (I always stopped) but a lot more often than not, it wasn't. I've been hit by RLJing taxis, vans and taxis pulling in on me because they didn't look. I have even had people try to punch me for stopping at a red light and another because I let a roar when he ran through a yield and I had to bail onto the pavement. A DB driver once pinned me to the kerb on the N11 on a quiet day because he felt I should not have been there and he was teaching me why. Admitted it on camera, nothing happened. Pure luck that I haven't been more seriously injured and that's not the way it should be. More fool me for not going further, those who hit me never learned a lesson. I've been through the court system once before (I was taken to court, and they found against the one who brought me there), and no amount of money is worth that hassle. I was accused of all and sundry, the opposing council even claimed I made a habit of insurance claims ( one claim in 40 years for a laptop after someone hit me taking an illegal left turn). The engineer report they produced was taken back by the engineer when he was shown pictures after the report was done and on the steps of the court. I had to find witnesses, statements, engineers assessment for a collision they admitted to at the scene and I was stupid enough to ask for nothing more than my wheel to be replaced. The judge is a ****, but because media has made it acceptable, few outside of regulars here will even notice the inappropriateness of the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Guilty for the crime of not using paragraphs !!!!!! Martin Nolan sentences you to no time at all 😅

Speeches have paragraphs, incoherent internet rants do not. English 101.

• Advertisement

If only there existed a substance that was stronger than flimsy plastic perhaps some type of metal then imagine if you could stick it deep in the ground using some form of glue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A nice read about cycling around the west coast... Has me mulling a multiday trip back there again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it’s legit unfortunately, apparently fella on the bike only has a broken collarbone and the Gardai know who was driving the car

He's been discharged from the Lourdes according to local news. Glad it wasn't more serious for him. Shocking to think what we are sharing the road with sometimes.

The latest TfL Travel in London report has just been released

Article on it with some of the headline figures

Link to the pdf of the report

The updated Cork Transport Strategy was released a few months ago and today the Limerick one has just been released. Looking through the Limerick one gives a good idea of how the Galway transport strategy might be rejigged when that gets released in Q3 next year.

The full document is available at

Summary

The core measures are

• Improved frequency of public transport services to regeneration areas;
    • The provision of safe and secure cycling facilities;
    • The provision of pedestrian linkages to surrounding areas;
    • Public realm improvements;
    • Reducing the need to own a car and car dominance
    • and Managing the movement of Heavy Goods Vehicles

Current mode share breaks down as follows with the planned shares listed also

• Public transport - 4% grow to 13%
    • Walking - 23% grow to 33%
    • Cycling - 3% grow to 10-15%
    • Car - 70% reduce to 41%

The mode share %'s for PT and cars are not called out the same way so its hard to say what the post implementation % is aimed to be e.g. for bus it states "156% increase in AM peak bus passengers between 2016 & 2040". There are also totals for each of the above called out in various sections which conflict so the %'s are a bit of a mess to be honest but the overall picture is clear regardless of which source in the doc you pick, cars are getting squeezed out and sustainable modes are getting prioritised.

Walking

• Priority at junctions
    • Increased permeability
    • Improved accessibility measures in line with universal access standards
    • Multiple audits of areas over the lifetime of the strategy to identify further opportunities for improvement

Cycling

• Bike lane network consisting of primary, secondary and feeder lanes with quality & safety level decreasing the further you move off primary
    • Expanded bike share scheme
    • Priority at traffic signals
    • Increase in parking provision
    • Inter-urban and greenway networks completed

Public Transport

Bus

• 4 P&R locations proposed(Ennis rd, M20 raheen, N24 Ballysimon & M7 Mackey)
    • Bus connects
    • Roll out priority measures at multiple junctions
    • Higher frequency
    • More routes

Rail

• Dual tracking between colbert & limerick junction
    • upgrade Ballycar line
    • Improve commuter rail
    • New stations at Moyross and Ballysimon
    • Increase frequency
    • Upgrade existing stations

Cars

In terms of demand management for cars, theres a lot planned

• New developments, removal of parking requirements for near city and significantly reduced requirements for parking provision in suburbs
    • Maximum parking provision will be applied in future
    • Undeveloped residential on well served routes must be high density with low parking provision
    • car-free area within 800m of Limerick city center
    • A steady reduction in on-street parking until it is no longer provided (with a few exceptions e.g. blue badge spaces)
    • Increase parking costs
    • Increase costs of parking permits
    • Alternatives to car ownership e.g. bike share, car clubs, bike storage, PT provision, P&R's
    • Traffic signal optimization towards walking, cycling & PT and lower priority for main car lanes
    • If the above does not lead to a significant modal shift congestion charges will be brought in to further discourage the use of cars in the city

One of the main drivers behind the measures planned is the strategy is now required to meet the national emissions reduction target of 50% emissions by 2030. The document as it stands states it can achieve a 35% reduction. It lists 3 options to achieve the last 15%

• Increase fuel prices to discourage the use of petrol/diesel
      • Ruled out as not feasible as it is controlled at a national level
    • Increase the amount of emission free vehicles (cars & LGV & HGV) to include battery and hydrogen
      • Possible to do by working with the likes of delivery stakeholders and setting up hubs for last mile low emission delivery modes
      • Not likely to achieve the desired reduction though
    • Implement a congestion charge/low emission zone/tolls
      • A feasible option which can significantly reduce the volume of emissions
      • Not for implementation, yet, but not ruled out for later application

More Pretty pictures

There's loads I haven't covered and its about 150 pages long so feel free to waste a morning going through it yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I assume this is down to the fact that it might inconvenience motorists? Or are councils too busy?

Incompetence plays a big part in it. I can think of 4 different things in the last 2 years we've (louth/drogheda) have not got funding for because the CC submitted bad applications for funding or failed to draw them down. The most recent for funding for sports clubs, they were told their application was rubbish and not good enough as to the reason why funding for the sports clubs would not be forthcoming. 100's of thousands of euro were involved based on what other counties were getting. Now if I'd had that happen to me in my job, my feet wouldn't touch ground on the way out.

Another was 200k to redo a pathway along the river, sitting there waiting to be claimed and lost in the end iicr. Local TD got the run around from the CC on 3 occasions and had to go the minister to get answers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I look 53 and would probably have a pissed off partner if they knew the costs of cycling. In reality, it reads like a desperate whip around the office for a made up story to fill the column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

its an investment in yourself

think of the savings in medical bills as you age

but you do need a balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also not 53, and not subbing to read the full article! If she knew how much I spent she'd probably be pissed off, but I generally do my share of parent cabs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i keep saying - if you think your partner would not like knowing how much you're spending on your hobby, get them interested in horseriding.

my wife's spend is 6k a year just on livery fees. she spends more in a year than i've probably spent on cycling in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd be wary of how much of what is actually drawn down is for actual active travel.

I was over the past six months in detailed discussions with a roads engineer about land acquisition as part of regional road safety audit driven improvement along with a school car park.

From talking to other road engineers in other councils I knew Local Authorities don't pay for school car parks (I'm not sure of the sums for car park element but that alone was circa €250k in construction costs) so I asked him how he was going to get it funded. He said he was hopeful of getting it in under an active travel scheme.

Sure enough the final drawings had 10 bike stands included and zero chance of anyone using them.

Now the project won't go anywhere soon but I was a bit taken aback with the attitude to active travel funding as a means of getting a car park built

The funny thing is a relatively small investment in increasing buses along with speed reduction works on regional road would probably make the problem go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And how much of it is wasted too? This type of thing seems to have cropped up in the last couple of years in Dublin, such as the bike parking below near me back home in Coolock

No one in their right mind would park a bike there and it is not convenient to anything. I know it's pretty tiny in the grand scheme of things but money and labour was actually wasted on this.

Same up my way, they are in some crazy places. At least those appear to have the nuts/bolts cemented over. They left them exposed here. I expect a few more in the coming weeks to get budget spent. Though traffic islands where nobody would ever think or want to cross a road appear to be flavour of the month for that these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the problem is that to effect real change takes longer than the budget allocations allowed. if the streets aren't already wide enough to put in kerb protected lanes, etc., all they can do is something superficial, as a complete remodelling will take too long to avail of the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have to confess that I had the same reaction when I saw them putting in these bike stands on Clareville Road in Harolds Cross, in the middle of the houses, a good bit away from the shops and the school. But as you can see on Google Streetview, the bike stands are well used - not sure by who, mind you. https://goo.gl/maps/CLb38bMPac7RGf5P6

Pretty much what I was saying. A friend used to work in the Star during college and they'd have a call around the office to get stories in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that just this one was made up, because they were short of real help letters. Carry on

Advertisement