Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No

I saw it happen in the small village I'm living in, over 100 Ukrainians arrived without any prior notice to be housed in the convent that used to belong to the nuns.

They are women and children and although we would have liked to have been told they were coming we welcomed them to the area.

Now if it was all young men who arrived it would have been a different story, the videos on various social media sites of them acting up is concerning to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

with all the shouting about prioritising the Irish homeless, wonder if those looney right and looney lefties would support turning the centre into a homeless shelter instead? See how much support they get from the locals then!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

No

The likes of FF and FG will be rubbing their hands together with Sinn Fein supporting mass immigration of unvetted males because they will get decimated at the next election. I dont think I have seen people this angry before over what is happening regarding these policies.

No

How has it been going for the women of these countries in terms of safety. Sexual assaults and rapes sky rocketed. The majority of convicted rapes been committed by immigrants in Sweden in the past 5 years.

Ah but sure its great the economy is booming says he

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

Carlingford the latest village to get a bus load of single male multiculturalism. Hopefully they follow East Wall, Kill and Breafys lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No

2 other spots in Clondalkin, one a former health centre, and another a community centre has had new arrivals the past few days and a former school also in Ballyfermot. All males.

No

At least people know what their getting with FF FG. The mask is slipping for the Shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

No shrinking violets up around Louth either. Too good for this rotten government- hope it explodes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No

Yes it takes so much spine to echo the views of the entire political class , media, NGO sector and Irelands great and good

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s been going great for women in Sweden and Norway in terms of safety, as evidenced by the fact that they’re both countries which are steeped in Feminism which ensured a change in how rapes are recorded a couple of years back which led to the number of convictions for rape and sexual assaults skyrocketing, whereas here in Ireland the conviction rates for rape and/or sexual assault offences are about 3% the last time I looked (takes anywhere between 2 - 5 years before cases even come before the Courts here too btw).

They were also the countries which introduced what became known in Europe as ‘The Swedish Model’ to address prostitution, which has been fairly successful, depending upon your point of view of course -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_model_approach_to_prostitution

And when you asked how is mass immigration of unvetted males working out for Norway and Sweden, the most obvious means of answering the question is to look at how their economies have been performing!

In Norway, one of the causes of the stagnation in economic growth and development has been the over-building of new houses, whereas here if we were to do the same, property values would tank and property owners would be far more seriously pissed off with Government than whether or not their neighbours are immigrants! The one saving grace for property owners might well be that the cost of building new houses is currently prohibitively expensive due to the cost of building materials.

You probably won’t hear much said about that though in working class areas in Dublin. Had to laugh myself this morning when I was talking to one of the Indian lads in work and he mentioned that he likes living here in Ireland because Indian society is more conservative and everyone knows your business… I couldn’t bite my lip, he couldn’t have known it but Ireland is no different, “Welcome to Ireland 😂” I said to him, as Irish society really isn’t any different.

Ahh now Max, credit where it’s due, Leo is well known for sussing out which way the political winds are blowing before he makes a move, and so for him to come out with such a definitive statement when he is fully aware that the political winds aren’t in his favour, that did indicate he may well be a vertebrate after all 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Tallaght aswell. Industrial unit being converted at the moment.

Basically every incident is recorded as a single offence, so it’s recorded for example like this -

"In Sweden there has been this ambition explicitly to record every case of sexual violence separately, to make it visible in the statistics," she says. 

"So, for instance, when a woman comes to the police and she says my husband or my fiance raped me almost every day during the last year, the police have to record each of these events, which might be more than 300 events. In many other countries it would just be one record - one victim, one type of crime, one record."

The thing is, the number of reported rapes has been going up in Sweden - it's almost trebled in just the last seven years. In 2003, about 2,200 offences were reported by the police, compared to nearly 6,000 in 2010.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372.amp

It’s really not a colossal number, because you’re giving the percentage, not the number of convictions for rape. It’s not surprising either that immigrants are over-represented in criminal statistics because they tend to come under greater scrutiny by the authorities than the natives, as it were, and immigrants also tend to be convicted at higher rates for similar offences than the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No

That's semantics and everyone knows it. Every incident should be treated separately. Were hardly suggesting someone being attack after one incident then consents to others ? It's a particularly nonsense argument.

It’s not semantics, it’s the difference between being found not guilty of the offence of rape in law, and being found guilty of having committed an offence of rape. I think you’ll find most people will tend to want to split hairs over the difference when the possibility of being found guilty and convicted of committing the offence of rape is concerned.

It’s a lot more significant than mere semantics when the legal definition of rape is changed and defined differently in law leading to an increase in convictions of 75%, which still represents only a 3% conviction rate for the offence of rape -

Sweden changed the legal definition of rape in 2018 to sex without consent. Unlike in many countries, prosecutors do not have to prove the use or threat of violence or coercion.

Sweden’s 2018 rape law also introduced a new offence of negligent rape for cases where courts found consent had not been established, but that the perpetrator had not intended to commit rape.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-crime-rape-law-trfn-idUSKBN23T2R3

It’s of particular importance when anyone is trying to create an impression that immigrants are predisposed to commit rape with the intent of raising prejudice against immigrants and attempting to promote fearmongering of immigrants in any community, which is where the whole “unvetted males” and “women’s safety” stuff comes from, as though anyone is under any greater threat from immigrants than they are from anyone who isn’t an immigrant or a man, or whatever else. Available statistics just don’t support their assertions.

That’s not just semantics.

No

No planning permission on the SDCC website for it either?

No

I disagree we have people in Ireland arguing the lack of rape convictions points to rapes not being reported so the figures are actually higher. And the same lack of convictions leads to victims feeling like what is the point of coming forward. If my partner was assaulted multiple times I would not consider it a single event. Rape should be considered in isolation to each event as it's such a devastating event. We would need a long hard look in a mirror if we were to look into the eyes of a victim of rape and suggest it was one event if it was multiple events.

No

Anyway this is clearly off topic will leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Surely the shinners have every incentive to have droves pouring in to i) exacerbate the housing crisis; ii) wreak havoc with social services; and ii) hammer down the wages of working class. Who'd vote for them if these were non-issues? And for this party renowned for taking a "long view", these "refugees" are also their prospective voters.

Meh, I’d be less concerned about arguing over semantics and outcomes of hypothetical scenarios tbh, especially when they’re based upon prejudiced stereotypes of immigrants, which also aren’t borne out by statistical evidence -

Bergehed said most people still thought of rape as an attack by a stranger, but a review of court cases in Sweden showed almost all victims knew their assailant.

It was just a simple question about how Swedish statistics are recorded which led to the significant increase in the numbers of cases recorded in Sweden in recent years is all, an increase often attributed to and associated with an increase in refugees in countries like Sweden as though Ireland is destined to go the same way, threatening the safety of Irish women, etc. It’s misleading, and amounts to nothing more than vindictive propaganda against immigrants.

No

Tonight show discussing this atm.

No

Green party muppet basically saying consultation is a bad idea and people may say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I put it to the Shinners when they last came calling for a vote in the general election campaign that the first plantation of Ireland didn't work out to well for the natives. They shuffled off into the night without offering a response. Same of course with FF/FG and SDs. Interestingly the only ones who engaged in any kind of debate on the dubious joys of rapid mass immigration (circa 100k for this year alone via so called international protection) into such a tiny country were the Extinction Rebellion lads.

Make that 2025 rather than 2040.

https://www.facebook.com/FineGael/videos/project-ireland-2040/10155988465593211/

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

No

The estalishment are terrified of these protests spreading, they've already made a balls of it...just wait until the new guests start acting up in these places they've been dumped...of course they'll have to stick to the narrative

No

The gov fella was awful. You cant dictate who buys the house next to you. DP centre is not a single family. Talk about apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I put it to the Shinners when they last came calling for a vote in the general election campaign that the first plantation of Ireland didn't work out to well for the natives. They shuffled off into the night without offering a response.

I'd say they recognised a lost cause when you came out with that...

No

I can't get my head around it. Nationalist tend to believe in Nationhood and a Nation of it's people. They also tend to be Right wing. Wanting the Brits out does not exactly gel with open boarders. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

SF are a basically a mish mash of ex terrorists mingled with far left dreamers and welfare junkies. They’re not a political party in the historical sense with any depth- a mish mash of 70/80s anarchists repackaged to tap into the disaffected youth population of today. SF are not a nationalist party in any sense- just a mildly leftover anti British one and open borders to the rest of the (third) world. One need only look at their cult like obsession with Palestine-a conflict that has absolutely zip to do with Ireland but front and centre of SF “policy” (if you could stretch it a calling anything they do a policy).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement