Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

In Istanbul atm. Seen a few Twizzys around but no other EVs. Talking to the driver who loves it. Great for the packed narrow streets. This one is municipality but police also use. Car looks tiny in pic but he is very tall.

Sad bombing site just behind car with flowers on ground. Six died and many injured. My Hotel only 7 small shops to left up a side street on same block. Fortunately I was away but a bit of dust in room after. Was told whole hotel shook😲.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Brilliant thanks. I really like the look of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Glad to hear you weren't around when it went off. Shocking stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, thanks. City still in shock after four days. But trying hard to get back to normal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

If you’re going right and are confident, you can leave the cycle lane and take up position in the right lane and turn right with traffic. If you’re not confident, you stay in the cycle lane and move left of the cyclists going straight. Then wait for the lights to change so cross traffic can go and you go with them - you split the right turn into two movements so you’re never changing lanes.

I’ve never seen anyone use the staggered left at that junction but it’s used a lot on the Clonskeagh entrance to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Reminds me of a system in the Melbourne city centre known as the ' hook turn' in order to allow traffic & trams not be held up by cars doing right hand turns. Takes a little bit to get used to, but was actually really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I hadn't heard of this "Trinity battery project". Scaling up on EV's isn't easy as an incumbent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think they meant the Trinity car project, which was supposed to be a luxury segment EV

The plan was to basically copy Tesla's highly automated manufacturing and software focus with the new factory

It was one of Deiss's pet projects and now that he's gone I guess the current heads at VW are back to business as usual

I guess they've also figured out that software is hard and VW isn't very good at it so they're not going to go as fast as they want

Maybe by 2030 VW management will have figured out how to plug their computers in 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What happened Diess anyway since he was booted out? Doesn't come over as a guy willing to take it handy and enjoy a year's gardening leave.

Incredibly stupid of the various VW stake holders to deliberately get rid of the one binding force that was dragging them into the new electrified era, ahead of most other incumbent companies, albeit with some severe growing pains. VW could have still been #1 in 5-10 years time in total number of cars sold / total automotive revenue / total gross margin. Now, I can't see it happen. They would now do well to settle for #2 (behind Tesla who are bound to overtake them) and feel the breath from Chinese companies at the back of their neck. Maybe #3, #4, #5 is more realistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Sam Evans must be watching this forum!

His usual combo of good insight into the market, solid research, with a large dollop of confirmation bias and wishful thinking. Can't say I disagree all that much with him though😁

Already posted on the Ecars thread but figured I'd mention here too

Ecars prices going up, 50kW now costs 65c/kWh for the privilege of an SPOF

HPC now costs 68c/kWh to have to park across the pavement because it's the only way the cable reaches

I think Ecars competitors are going to spring out of the woodwork everywhere at those prices. Even if they price match but offer a better service they'll do well out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Meanwhile Tesla effectively drops the price for a 250 kW charger to 60c/kWh for 20h a day. For rhe other 4h it is still cheaper than the so called HPC price. Is Ionity going to increase prices? There are reports of cheaper wholesale prices in Europe compared to Jan 2022 so I doubt it

I guess the argument for Tesla and Ionity is that they're propped up by their owners who want to sell cars

Also they're international businesses, so they don't need to be profitable in all regions. It may be worthwhile to prop up some countries to ensure that there is a good network

However, I can turn that same argument around on ESB and point out they don't report Ecars revenue separately to the rest of the group.

So if they're happy to scavenge any revenue from Ecars then it follows that they can also prop up Ecars as well if they want

To a large extent, I think the increase is partly justified by price increases and partly justified "because they can"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

A Department of Transport spokeswoman said an updated renewable transport fuels policy will be published next year, taking account of biofuel usage between 2023 and 2025, sustainability targets and recent climate research.

The Government’s Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland (ZEVI) office is engaging with organisations including forecourt operators to enhance the provision of EV technologies.

She said significant funding will be available through this office next year to support the installation of EV chargers and new initiatives to link the public charging network, including a plan to develop a high-powered charging network along motorways.

The Department of Environment said this “will alleviate lingering public concerns around range anxiety”. It said the ZEVI “will create the best possible conditions” for installing charging points with funding and supports “tailored to the specific needs of the sector”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Price increases will help esb competitors particularly those who can be flexible like easygo.

The talk of "money next year" from the government will probably put a lot of sites on hold, waiting on tender details and probably lobbying to get the tender wording to suit their needs.

There has already been lots of reports, the setup of a new quango. They really need to get going on any tender and see how well it works. Simply copying places like Scotland or Norway is not hard.

The faster project in border counties has already identified sites and is going to tender soon for someone to plonk a charger on these council owned sites. They have already said ease of payments (touch to pay) will be a requirement.

I really can't recommend to my friends to buy an EV now even with a home charger at public charging on longer trips can be a right pain. I would not advise anyone to buy a new ICE either but prices of new cars combined with fuelling even at home costs for EVs is making the sums of EV better than ICE hard to justify.

Maybe if you had a 1+ hour daily commute each way and could home charge it should make financial sense. I have an ICE from the better half for long trips and often pass in use chargers on trips to Donegal and Sligo etc at peak times.

I would be happy to pay ionity rates or higher if I could be guaranteed a charge when I need one.

I agree with some of what you're saying, and disagree with some points

From my own experience, owning an ID.4 in Dublin with a home charger, doing low annual mileage with some longer trips, everything has been a breeze. If anything it's more convenient than a petrol car because I never have to go out for fuel

Other people's experiences will vary. I think for anyone in Leinster with home charging who's willing to pay the high upfront cost for a long range EV then it's a no brainer

Someone living in Donegal or Kerry who relies on public charging a lot is probably going to have a more difficult time of it

I absolutely agree that government are consistently dragging their feet regarding EV charging funding. But we are seeing progress from other operators, so the situation is improving

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The price increases are a reflection of costs to the charging provider. A new market entrant isn't going to be able to come in and severely undercut whilst paying the same commercial rates.

• Advertisement

No but I've seen people drive 20 mins to save 5c per litre of petrol (I was one of them 😅) so I don't think human psychology is going to change a lot all of a sudden

They don't even need to undercut ESB, providing a better service for a small price increase will cannibalise ESB customers

Let's take an example, say you arrive in Coyne's cross looking for a charge. By some miracle, all the chargers are free, Applegreen and Ecars.

First thing, buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day 🤣

Then decide which charger to use. Ecars is 50kW at 65c/kW. Applegreen are probably 120kW at say 67c/kWh (I'm assuming they're staying close to Ecars here, we don't know the real pricing)

You aren't hungry so there's no reason for you to hang around, so which charger would you pick?

For me, it's Applegreen all the way. More power and no SPOF chargers is worth the extra expense

Same goes for Ionity Gorey, the extra 8c/kWh for a much higher quality charger is worth it IMO

Back when Ecars was 37c/kWh then the value proposition was much more in favour of Ecars

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not really a case of competition at the same site. In both of those examples you'll use the cheapest charger that meets the capability of your car. Mine is limited to 50kW so of course I'm going to pick the cheapest available DC charger. I will give a preference to a charger that's usable via my mobility service provider.

The competition is on which site you decide to stop at. I will pick the one with highest usable number of CCS connectors to reduce the time queuing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had to collect a few items in nutgrove, rathfarnham today.

Dropped into the underground car park and bloody hell 2 free chargers!! So I reversed in, got out and realised why they were free. It's pay charging now. I couldn't be arsed downloading another app and entering bank details so I moved out of the way and went about my business.

Came back just over an hour later and they were all free. No more handy free charging there anymore!!

So were they free or did you have to pay for them? 😂😉

Some definite context mixing of the word free there 😂

I get what you're saying, but I think based on your own logic you'll end up avoiding most ESB sites for competitors sites to avoid charging queues

I'd do the same unless the competitors were charging a ridiculously higher price. If that were the case then I would probably check any Ecars sites of they were on the way

But back to the original point that Ecars increasing prices benefits the competition, I think the point is still valid

Ecars have consistently been unable or unwilling to offer a charging experience that meets their customers expectations. Their competitors are in many cases doing a better job, or planning a better offering (by which I mean Ionity, Applegreen, Circle K and SSE)

That better offering is likely not going to be cheap, but with Ecars raising prices then the gap will be much smaller, and so I think a lot of people will go with competitor networks because it's a better experience for a smallish extra costs

Of course I could end up eating my words if Applegreen or SSE come out with €1/kWh prices, or Ionity increase their prices

But for the current situation, Ecars have pretty much destroyed their only competitive advantage

I get what you're saying, but I think based on your own logic you'll end up avoiding most ESB sites for competitors sites to avoid charging queues

Exactly, it was when you got to the specifics of showing up at Gorey and using Ionity over an available eCars charger that I thought you were nuts 🤣

eCars sites have improved, the one at Sundrive is my new go-to charger. 3 CCS connectors charging at once and plenty of parking access to get near them. It's a huge improvement over the past. The dual sided unit is way better than the dual charger they used at Blanchardstown. Maybe when the Applegreen station on the M50 opens up I'll start trying there instead, but a lot will depend on if Applegreen federate with Digital Charging Solutions. I'm exclusively on public charging at the moment, the subscriptions make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sorry!!

No more charging at no cost.

When I left they were all available.

@liamog - "I'm exclusively on public charging at the moment"

Sh1t, in a short range car 😮

I presume you've moved house and haven't got a charge point installed yet, similar situation as in your previous home where it wasn't that easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

federate with Digital Charging Solutions. I'm exclusively on public charging at the moment, the subscriptions make a lot of sense.

I'm totally on the same page. Some pan European suppliers have generic prices for AC or DC and they are unlikely to change because of ecars. After December hike they might be substantially cheaper than ecars at ecars units. Like 37c/kWh is few c more expensive compared to ecars subscription prices now, but in December it will represent 0.73x ecars prices

Advertisement