Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No, it’s not related to it. Just made by the same people in Germany. Some sane actors in it too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Some reviews for Wednesday starting to appear. Pretty middling so far. All say Ortega is great as Wednesday, but the rest of the show isn't as good. Not surprised really, I think what always worked about The Addams Family was having them exist in a world full of very normal people. Sending her to Hogwarts, and making it a supernatural teen mystery show is not what you'd want from it.

I'm sure it'll be massive and get another season or two, but it's not top of my list at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Jonestown Haunting (2020) A Jonestown tragedy survivor returns to the site 10 years later and discovers the cult's former home has become a breeding ground for the supernatural.

Urban Farming (2021) (German) Tomatoes from the balcony, basil from the window and mushrooms from the cellar: This documentary explores the benefits and downsides of urban farming...

Dreamland (2020) In a destitute Texas town in the heart of the Dust Bowl, a young farmer shelters a fugitive bank robber and aids in her getaway..

Big North (2021) (Italian) Writer and filmmaker Paolo Cognetti travels from his native Italy to Alaska, where he visits the landscapes that inspired many of his literary heroes.

Secrets of Squirrels (2017) Observe red squirrels in their home environment -- high up in the treetops -- as they engage in lovable antics, hide from predators and battle for food..

Turtle Hero (2016) This documentary follows a passionate conservation biologist on his quest to find and save endangered turtles around the world.

Sand Castle Tapes (2021) Members of indie pop band Balthazar reunite after the COVID-19 lockdown to record a new album inside an ancient castle..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

Giving Cabinet of Curiosities a try.

Edit - shoite so far

Post edited by apache on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was ok but I kinda found myself losing interest. But like you say nice to see Lindsay Lohan back.

The knight before Christmas was really enjoyable...I wonder what the one just added "Christmas with you" is like...it looks fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Episodes 3, 4 and 7 are by far the best IMO (haven't seen 8 yet but holding out hope based on Jennifer Kent directing). 1 and 2 are ok but unremarkable, and 5 and 6 both pick mediocre-at-best Lovecraft stories that they then adapt into frankly poor episodes (albeit with decent production values).

Overall I've been a bit disappointed at the uneven quality of the stories - the best are excellent but I'd expect a higher standard across the board. If it does get a further season I hope it's not rushed.

I haven't braved that one yet, but the trailer looks bad bad, not fun bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Watched a few episodes over the weekend. Very enjoyable.

This is doing the rounds on twitter at the moment. Brazilian comic book writer claims 1899 is largely copying her comic book published in 2016. There's a thread of a few similarities and she claims she exhibited it at something in Gothenberg a few years ago, where lots of copies were given to lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wrapped it up over the weekend. Overall I thought the 4 * 40 minute running time worked in it's favour. Anything more would have been bloated and I quite like the short docu-series as an alternative to a lengthy feature length doc.

• Advertisement

1899 was very good fir the first 4 episodes but then turned stupid. When the plot becomes the human mind it just opens the story to anything and everything, and too complex to follow for the average person. Still have to watch the final episode.

Trevor Noah: I Wish You Would (2022) Emmy-winning comedian Trevor Noah talks learning German, speaking ill of the dead, judging people in horror movies and ordering Indian food in Scotland.

Our Universe season 1 (2022) Witness the remarkable story of our universe over billions of years and its inextricable link to life on Earth in this sweeping documentary series..

Added

Coming to Netflix in Dec

December 1st

Archer: Season 13

Chhota Bheem ki Citi Pitti Gul (Season 1) – Hindi-language kids animated series.

Dead End (Season 1) Netflix Original – Polish TV thriller about a group of people sharing a ride accidentally switching cars with a bank robber.

Forged in Fire: Knife or Death (Seasons) – Reality series where contestants bring their strongest blades to hack through courses. Hosted by Bill Goldberg.

LEGO Friends: Heartlake Stories – Animated holiday special.

Qala (2022) Netflix Original – Indian musical about a talented singer with a rising career coping with the pressures of success. Starring Triptii Dimri and Swastika Murkherjee.

Split Gravy on Rice (2015) – Malaysian comedy.

Sniper: Rogue Mission (2022) – Sony First Window Deal – The latest direct-to-video entry in the long-running Sniper series starring Chad Michael Collins.

Solace (2015) – Crime mystery thriller from director Afonso Poyart about a psychic doctor working with an FBI special agent to catch a serial killer. Starring Anthony Hopkins.

The Masked Scammer (2022) Netflix Original – Crime documentary about how a master con man scammed French elites out of millions.

Troll (2022) Netflix Original – From director Roar Uthaug, this new monster movie sees an ancient troll awakened in a Norwegian mountain.

December 2nd

Firefly Lane (Season 2 – Part 1) Netflix Original – The first half of the final season of Netflix’s feel-good series from showrunner Maggie Friedman.

Hot Skull (Season 1) Netflix Original – Turkish sci-fi series adaptation. Set in a dystopian world where an epidemic spread through verbal communication.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover (2022) Netflix Original – New movie adaptation of the D. H. Lawrence novel starring Emma Corrin and Jack O’Connell.

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (2022) Netflix Original – Christmas Release – From director Stephen Donnelly, this is a new animated spin on the Charles Dickens novel. Featuring the voices of Luke Evans, Olivia Colman, and Jonathan Pryce.

“Sr.” (2022) Netflix Original – Biographical documentary on Robert Downey Jr.’s late father and pioneering filmmaker.

Supermodel Me: Revolution (Season 1) – Competition reality series where twelve up-and-coming models from across Asia strut their stuff for a tough new judging panel in this fierce competition to win career-making prizes.

The Magic Roundabout / Doogal (2005) – Animated comedy about a group of friends who embark on a dangerous journey to imprison their oppressor, the evil wizard Zeebad.

Warriors of Future (2022) Netflix Original – Hong Kong sci-fi film about what happens when a meteor carrying a destructive plant strikes the world.

December 3rd

Bullet Train (2022) – Brad Pitt stars in the summer blockbuster Bullet Train which sees five assassins battling it out on a Japanese train bound for Kyoto.

Dreams Drawn by Dust (Season 1) – Middle Eastern crime series.

December 5th

Mighty Express: Mighty Trains Race (Season 1) Netflix Original – A new animated kids spin-off to the Mighty Express franchise.

December 6th

Boss Baby: Christmas Bonus (Season 1) Netflix Original – Christmas Release – Animated special to The Boss Baby DreamWorks franchise.

Delivery by Christmas (2022) Netflix Original – Polish Christmas romantic comedy.

Sebastian Maniscalco: Is It Me? (2022) Netflix Original – Stand-up special.

Storks (2016) – From Warner Bros. Animation, movie by Nicholas Stoller about storks moving on from delivering babies to delivering packages.

December 7th

Burning Patience (2022) Netflix Original – Spanish language drama about a young man who becomes Pablo Neruda’s mail carrier and gets involved in a world of words that fuels his desire to be a poet to woo the woman of his dreams.

Emily the Criminal (2022) – A crime thriller starring Aubrey Plaza is about a student saddled with debt turning to scams and frauds to earn a living.

I Hate Christmas (Season 1) Netflix Original – Italian holiday-themed romantic comedy series.

Smiley (Season 1) Netflix Original – Spanish-language romantic comedy about two men and their friends in Barcelona looking for love.

The Marriage App (2022) Netflix Original – Argentinian romantic comedy about a frustrated marriage spiced up by a watch-based app that rewards good deeds.

The Most Beautiful Flower (Season 1) Netflix Original – Spanish-language comedy series.

Too Hot To Handle (Season 4) Netflix Original – New episodes weekly – Reality dating series.

December 8th

In Broad Daylight: The Narvarte Case (2022) Netflix Original – True-crime documentary from Mexico.

The Elephant Whisperers (2022) Netflix Original – Documentary from director Kartiki Gonsalves about a couple in south India dedicating their lives to elephants.

December 9th

CAT (Season 1) Netflix Original – Indian crime series about a former police informant summoned to infiltrate a drug empire.

Dragon Age: Absolution (Season 1) Netflix Original – Anime series based on the Bioware video game RPG series.

Dream Home Makeover (Season 4) Netflix Original – Reality series.

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (2022) Netflix Original – Stop-motion adaptation of the classic tale.

December 10th

Prisoners (2013) – Mystery thriller from director Denis Villeneuve and starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. About a father who’s daughter is abducted and takes matters into his own hands.

December 13th

Gudetama: An Eggcellent Adventure (Season 1) Netflix Original – Japanese family series about Gudetama, a lazy egg embarking on an adventure of a lifetime.

Last Chance U: Basketball (Season 2) Netflix Original – Sports documentary series.

Single’s Inferno (Season 2) Netflix Original – Korean reality series.

December 14th

Glitter (Season 1) Netflix Original – Polish series set in the late 1970s. About three women navigating political and social changes.

Kangaroo Valley (2022) Netflix Original – Nature documentary following a kangaroo joey named Mala who faces famine, frosts, and a pack of hungry dingoes.

December 15th

Critical Thinking (2020) – John Leguizamo and Michael Kenneth Williams star in this drama based on a true story set in 1998. About five Latino and Black teenagers from the toughest underserved ghetto in Miami fight their way into the National Chess Championship

Sonic Prime (Season 1) Netflix Original – An all-new Sonic animated series from WildBrain. Sees Sonic having to race through parallel dimensions after Dr. Eggman shatters the universe.

The Big 4 (2022) Netflix Original – Indonesian action movie about four retired assassins springing into action to track down an elusive murderer.

December 16th

A Storm for Christmas (Limited Series) Netflix Original – Per-Olav Sørensen directs this new miniseries about a group of people stranded at an airport over Christmas.

BARDO, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (2022) Netflix Original – From director Alejandro G. Iñárritu comes a new black comedy about “an acclaimed journalist and documentarian goes on a dreamlike introspective journey to reconcile with the past, the present and his Mexican identity.”

Beast of Bangalore: Indian Predator (Season 1) Netflix Original – Indian true crime docuseries.

Cook at all Costs (Season 1) Netflix Original – Host Jordan Andino

Dance Monsters (Season 1) Netflix Original – Argentinian reality series.

Far From Home (Season 1) Netflix Original – Coming-of-age drama series from Nigeria set in the prestigious Wilmer Academy.

How to Ruin Christmas (Season 3) Netflix Original – Christmas Release – The next entry in the South African comedy series with this season entitled, “The Baby Shower”.

Paradise PD (Season 4) Netflix Original – The final season of the animated crime comedy series from Waco O’Guin and Roger Black.

Private Lesson (2022) Netflix Original – Turkish romantic comedy.

Summer Job (Season 1) Netflix Original – Italian competition reality series where 10 Gen Z participants think they’re on a dream vacation but must find summer jobs.

The Recruit (Season 1) Netflix Original – Created by Alexi Hawley, this new series sees Noah Centineo as an agent entangled in a CIA conspiracy.

The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari (2022) Netflix Original – Documentary from director Rory Kennedy.

December 20th

The Seven Deadly Sins: Grudge of Edinburgh Part 1 (2022) Netflix Original – Japanese anime feature based on the popular Seven Deadly Sins IP.

December 21st

Emily in Paris (Season 3) Netflix Original – Lily Collins returns as Emily Cooper in the third outing in Paris.

December 22nd

Alice in Borderland (Season 2) Netflix Original – Japanese series returns. To solve the mystery of the Borderland and return to his original world, Arisu and his comrades must take on even more difficult and dangerous games.

December 23rd

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) Netflix Original – Daniel Craig returns as Benoit Blanc in this sequel to Knives Out directed by Rian Johnson.

December 25th

Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical (2022) Netflix Original – A brand new take on the Tony and Olivier award-winning musical starring Alisha Weir, Lashana Lynch, and Emma Thompson.

The Witcher: Blood Origin (Limited Series) Netflix Original – Prequel series to The Witcher.

Time Hustler (Season 1) Netflix Original – Brazillian comedy movie about a man hit over the head and waking up in 1927 and becomes a bandit

December 26th

Treason (Limited Series) Netflix Original – 5-episode miniseries starring Charlie Cox. A political thriller about an MI6 agent who has his life flipped upside down after his past catches up with him.

December 27th

Chelsea Handler: Revolution (2022) Netflix Original – Stand-up special from the former Netflix talk show host.

The Glory (Season 1) Netflix Original – South Korean drama series about a woman puts a plan of revenge into action. Starring Song Hye-kyo, Lee Do-hyun, and Im Ji-yeon.

They Cloned Tyrone (2022) Netflix Original – John Boyega, Teyonah Parrisl, Kiefer Sutherland, and Jamie Foxx star in this sci-fi comedy movie.

White Noise (2022) Netflix Original – Adaptation of the Don DeLillo novel from writer/director Noah Baumbach and starring Adam Driver, Greta Gerwig and Don Cheadle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A good few there that I'm interested in watching for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wow, didn't think there was anyone left to watch that. Sure what else were we doing during the lockdowns 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭jj880

Knives Out 2 for sure. Hope its as good as the first one. Great movie.

Wednesday season 1 (2022) Smart, sarcastic and a little dead inside, Wednesday Addams investigates a murder spree while making new friends -- and foes -- at Nevermore Academy.

The Swimmers (2022) From war-torn Syria to the 2016 Rio Olympics, two young sisters embark on a risky voyage, putting their hearts and their swimming skills to heroic use.

Blood, Sex & Royalty (2022) 3 Episodes A modern take on the British royal drama, this steamy series offers a window into the lives of history's deadliest, sexiest and most iconic monarchs..

The Unbroken Voice season 1 (2022) (Spanish) Against all odds, a young Arelys Henao pursues her dream of a singing career in this music-packed drama inspired by the Colombian icon's early life..

Who's a Good Boy? (2022) (Spanish) Chema has a mission: to date Claudia, the attractive new girl at his school, and lose his virginity. Can he fulfill his dream before graduating?..

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

December lineup haa a fair few interesting bits there - Troll, Emily The Criminal, Alice In Borderland, Glass Onion, White Noise. I'll probably give Bullet Train a look too, although concensus seems to be it doesn't live up to the potential of the trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

An interesting concept for limited series Kaleidoscope coming at the end of the year. The order of the first 7 episodes will be different for each user.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus that sounds like a gimmick and then some; and a total minefield for spoilers. Wonder how much of a pain it was to change the Netflix codebase to serve randomised episodes - but keep track of it per user as well.

Kinda looking forward to Troll; I will always give time to any film that asks important questions likes: what if there were big monsters that went smashy-smashy?

• Advertisement

Troll hunter is a great movie, maybe the best found footage film I ever saw. I hope this Troll is good too.

Bullet train would have been an excellent 30 min 6 part series on of the hitmen/women , brad pitts character is the most boring part of the movie

Copenhagen Cowboy arrives jan 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ParkerLV

I watched 1899 today. Very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I like the idea, but would be really pumped if this involves multiple perspectives of the same scenes. This is normally done with films, such as the iconic Rashomon, and the mediocre Vantage Point. In long form, this could be really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ParkerLV

It is something mysterious, about ppl on ghost ships from 100-200 years ago...but not exactly...no spoiler here. It catches your attention from the very first episode. You try to find out what it is about and can't stop continue watching it. If you watched Dark, you'll like this series also

Netflix’s New Bank Heist Series 'Kaleidoscope' Can Be Watched in Any Order

A Non-Linear Streaming Experience 

The new heist series is told through a unique streaming experience, where viewers will enter the crime at different moments in time. Solve the puzzle on January 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure how you arrange a linear narrative in such a way that no matter what order the episodes run, it'll make "sense" enough to not be an indecipherable mess until the last episode.

Unless it's intentionally a confusing mess by design. I am a sucker for a good heist adventure mind you; though I have a weird personal preference for low-tech ones, I just find the more high-tech they get the more scripts tend towards science-magic bullshít.

Taco Chronicles season 3 (2020) (Spanish) Many of the most popular taco styles have long, rich, little-known histories. Explore some of them in this eye-opening, mouth-watering food adventure..

Lesson Plan (2022) (Polish) After a teacher dies, his best friend -- a former cop -- takes a job at the school where he worked to confront the gang he thinks was responsible.

Christmas on Mistletoe Farm (2022) After inheriting a farm at Christmastime, a widowed father makes a bumpy adjustment to village life -- while his kids hatch a plan to stay there forever

First Love season 1 (2022) (Japanese) Young, free and madly in love. As teenagers, the world was their oyster -- but as adults, their lives seem dimmer, like a very important piece is missing.

The Noel Diary (2022)Cleaning out his childhood home at Christmas, a novelist meets a woman searching for her birth mother. Will an old diary unlock their pasts -- and hearts?

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looks like it is the multiple perspective route of the roughly same time period, hence kaleidoscope, with the centre as the last episode that pulls it together, making it non-linear. (Actually kaleidoscope would be a misnomer, because as the mechanism revolves it changes the elements entirely - but that would be nitpicking). If it's not multiple perspective, I'm even more intrigued. It wouldn't be a gimic to have them structured non-linearly then, as it's the same time period from different angles - the gimic is the technology that randomly personalizes the order of viewing. Clever, but smells of conceptual over-reach. Still intrigued though.

Advertisement