Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think the gambling thing with mon mothma was to give an explanation for unusual banking transactions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What can be said really: that was just a superb season of television, and borderline miraculously so given the low-bar set by virtually all Disney+ mega-franchise fare to date. Right up until its suitably bittersweet and rousing finale (rarely has the word ‘bastards’ hit like this) it took the underlying ideas of the rebels v Empire conflict and dramatically expanded them into something richer than we’ve seen before. But it was also just excellently made television: when recent Star Wars shows have disappeared up their own green screen, this was earthy and grounded wherever possible. Yes, it was still expensive as all hell with countless computer generated images, but there was a sense of place and space so sorely lacking in this hyper-digital age. The main village set from the first arc and the finale… that’s the kind of set design that just makes everything look better and more convincing.

I could go on, but thankfully the show speaks for itself. A rare sort of triumph, and season two can’t come quickly enough.

Just one specific note to end: that stormtrooper getting kicked was next level satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Wow, great show. So much better than all the other Disney stuff Sort of refreshing at the end as well that the stormtroopers were actually able to hit targets with their blasters :)

Star Wars is better without the force, at this stage.

Go full Science Fiction and dial back the Science Fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This team are really good creating eye-catching scenes. The whole band scene was brilliant the slow march was great but especially when the hit the square and do that pace change.That last fight was shot and framed as well as any real world war movie I have seen.

Anyone notice little things too like the "glove wall" in the background behind the band. Its the kinda continuity makes the place feel real.

Just reading up on Tony Gilroy it's no surprise he was the writer for the Bourne movies and Michael Clayton but he also done the screenplay for Dolores Claiborne which surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was an excellent finale episode. So much going on and all so well done.

We all know that Axis does not kill Andor do. Why did he want to kill him in the first place?

Does the boy get away I wonder?

It seemed to be very indiscrimste the bomb and bombs just killed everyone good and bad.

Oh wow at the Post credits scene just wow.

I guess we know where all them parts the prisoners were making are going now lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

Axis wanted him dead since he could identify him, if Andor was caught and interrogated by the ISB.

I don't think the kid expected the explosion he got. It shows that he hit some weapons cache.

Never even knew about post credits on Andor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

That was a brilliant finale, all the chess pieces put in place across the season coming back, even the small things like the manifesto for a few lines showing Cassian has fully changed, the last words told to him by his friend all cementing the change

The empire with their plans all decked yup by people walking then the hologram speech

The music the tension built the use of silence at times just brilliant

I absolutely loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Just rewatching the funeral scene it's just amazing TV not just sci-fi but TV in general. The score the tempo the fact that the music is in the back of every scene.

This and Battlestar set the gold standard of how story sci-fi can be done and done fantastic.

The post credit scene just shows the attention that the creators have taken to tie everything up.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the Expanse.

Speaking of BSG and the above this last episode of Andor was almost as close to them as Star Wars movies in some senses. We got cursing, stabbing (with a real knife), people getting trampled beat and kicked in the head. The scene with the ISB lady on the floor was especially rough. It wasn't very "Star Warsy" and thats a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't think the kid expected the explosion he got. It shows that he hit some weapons cache.

Yes I seen that

Never even knew about post credits on Andor.

Me either untill yesterday. I hope it was the only one lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How could I forget the expanse 🤯 Just finished a rewatch recently

I have Memory's Legion at home and I'm afraid to read it because it might be the last Expanse thing I ever experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I maintain the Fool's Hope that one day, we'll get a Season 7 of The Expanse; that hope believing they're merely waiting for the actors to age so Book 7 requires less fake-ageing.

I'm the same 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

blown away by the whole series , for a star wars series it was so grounded in reality , seems weird to say that about a sci fi series . best thing ive seen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Still haven't watched S06 of that yet, and for the life of me I've no idea why. 😆

As for 'Andor', well it soldiered on to a completely satisfying conclusion, unlike the damp squib of an ending that 'The Walking Dead' farted out. That whole funeral scene was great and I loved the way that the Empire are presented as something to be feared and compelled to be fought against, rather than some cartoonish collection of easy targets, that miraculously managed to take over the galaxy. Also loved how they were kinda trying to go easy on the people of Ferrix at first, but then went full Empire when the proverbial hit the fan.

Going forward (ugh, I hate that phrase) I want to see more grown up Star Wars like this, because it blows the shit out the more twee nonsense that unfortunately is the bulk of the output at this point. I can only hope that Disney are paying attention to the responses that have been put Andor's way, as opposed to the relatively lower audience count.

One thing I am not happy about hearing, though, is the reveal that S02 of 'Andor' will be set across multiple years. That kind of jump never sits right with me at all. I'm sort of hoping that that angle might be dropped once things get going on the second series proper. If they really want to span years, make an S02 and an S03?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The final season of the Expanse feels pretty rushed tbh - I'm glad they got to give it an ending at least, but it didn't really do justice to the Marco arc in the books.

Love the final three books though. It'd be great to see them adapted, although also makes sense why they'd be a logistical challenge both in terms of the time jump and the increased scale involved.

• Advertisement

You could really feel the dirt in that Ferrix planet.

Ide say there won't be much left of the place by the time season 2 comes round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still haven't watched S06 of that yet, and for the life of me I've no idea why. 😆

Probably 'cos you know if you don't watch it, there'll always be more Expanse to watch lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was an underwhelming finale. Feels like the big pay-offs were held off for next season. I enjoyed the series overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Still can't find any faults with the show now that the first season is done. It's pretty much everything I wanted in a live action Star Wars TV show since they first started making them, and hoped for due to the resources that the Disney acquisition would provide. Excellently acted, well written characters, a thoroughly engaging plot that was never boring and only ever got better with each episode. Also fitting that it's the best live action project Lucasfilm has produced since Rogue One.

Just finished. That ending was masterfully done and tees up season 2 perfectly. I enjoyed Boba Fett and the Mandalorian on a level of ‘mindless-sci-fi-entertainment-while-I’m-doing-something-else-at-the-same-time’, but Andor is proper, engaging storytelling with emotional connection. The acting and casting is excellent. I could watch anything with Stellen Skarsgard in and I’m assuming we haven’t seen the end of Andy Serkis given that we didn’t see him fall from the platform (which would have killed him as he couldn’t swim). The only seasons I think I’ve looked forward to as much as S2 of this are the seasons of Vikings, back in the day.

and Luthen’s monologue about sacrifice was one of the best cinematic speeches I have heard for a long time

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Does anyone else think that the B2EMO droid will eventually have his brain transplanted from his broken-down body into an imperial security droid and become K2SO?

Yes

They seem to be very different personalities. But maybe once put into the strong new body B2 decided to go full "fuk you galaxy"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was a brilliant ending to a fantastic season. Easily the best Star Wars since Rogue One, and then the original trilogy. That band march scene was amazing, especially when it kicked up the pace and **** went down. Really blown away by how good it was.

As others have said, there's so much that can and should be done outside of the jedi (and especially Skywalker) stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Episode 12... Are you watching JJ? That's how you round out a story. Knowing where you were heading with it in the first place helps too.

Hugely enjoyed pretty much every minute of the whole season. Great cast. Great script. Great music. Great plot lines. Great droid. Great sets. Great performances. Great tension. Great characters. Great photography. How the **** did this get out of the barn at Disney/Lucasfilm?!

Extra marks for Mon's perfectly in context disdainful reference to Canto Bight and "whatever you need to do there". Zing!

Advertisement