Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Got divorced and had to move to an apartment, it was a new build-to-rent place that listed EV charging and we discussed their plans to install during the lease signing. They still haven't got round to doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There still remains the fact that we are facing high charging costs away from home versus home, electricity is electricity

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry to hear it Liam :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Merc lock the full motor performance of EQ models behind a $1,200 annual subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nice way to keep earning money after they sold you the car....

I pay Tesla €120 a year for premium connectivity, but that's a service that they no doubt have to pay for themselves... this is purley Mercedes wanting to milk owners on an annual basis for performance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The costs for charging away from home are always going to be higher than at home. The costs of installing and maintaining the charge equipment fall completely on the homeowner for home charging, but have to be added to the electricity cost when away from home. The same is true for the ESB networks charges. They are included in your home connection but that cost has to be split over all the users for charging away from home. There may also be rent or some form of revenue split with the landowner for charging away from home. The electricity cost has to also reflect the times that chargers are being used. Fast chargers tend to be used primarily during the day and alot of them are busy at peak times, when the wholesale electricity cost is high, whereas most home charging occurs overnight when there is more likely to be a surplus of renewable electricity on the grid and is therefore much cheaper. If there was time of use tariffs on public charging, the day and especially peak rates would be much higher than even the new ecars prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

I suspect where going to see a lot more subscription nonsense tried on from manufacturers in the future.

@AndyBoBandy - "I pay Tesla €120 a year for premium connectivity"

And in fairness you get a lot of functionality for the money. I am allergic to subscriptions, have had it for free so far with my Teslas, but will pay up when my next one comes without it

And other manufacturers have been charging more for less useful features for years. I think someone I know paid about €300 per year to BMW for what is essentially map updates for his sh1tty satnav.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Pretty sure VW are going to go that way soon. There's a We Connect Plus subscription which is currently free, I could see that expiring after a couple of years

There's also talk of making things like Travel Assist and even mapping updates a subscription

I won't mind if it's the cheaper ID cars only, makes sense if it's a way to keep the upfront price down. I imagine it'll start creeping up to the higher priced models though

Hopefully it'll also be a 1 month subscription, so if you're travelling you can unlock travel assist and higher quality maps for the duration then cancel

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah, I lived without it when the trial expired for about 3-4 weeks, and then subscribed in summer 2020 and have kept it ever since!!

Love it, love the satellite view, love the traffic visualisation, love just always being connected (we use Spotify 80% and TuneIn the other 20%, and watch YouTube every morning waiting for the school gates to open).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Surely it would make more sense for high spec models which are more likely to be purchased by people with deeper pockets who are much more likely to cough up for the luxury add ons.

Sort of, basically VW want to make money from cars they've already sold. It's a much more stable income stream because you can simply look at your number of subscribers to figure out your income. Whereas car sales go up and down (or just up if you're making EVs at the moment)

Since you can make basically anything in an EV a paid add-on, then there's a lot of options

Want a charging speed boost? Subscribe

Want digital services? Subscribe

Want better driving assistants? Subscribe

Sell the car privately? Next person needs to subscribe, and give some money to VW

The sales pitch will probably start at the lower end cars where VW can say they're making them an add-on to keep the list price lower

It also helps the higher end cars because VW can say your brand new ID.5 GTX comes with 3 years of free travel assist, charging boost, etc, etc.

I think in time they'll start rolling that back and making people pay for more, similar to what Tesla did with their cars

Essentially they're just going to find the level at which people start getting fed up and dial it back a bit from there

Btw, when I say VW there you can just sub in whatever other car manufacturer you want

VW have probably been more vocal in their ambitions (at least under Deiss, the new guy seems about as interesting as the T&C's letter from the bank) but you can bet all the other manufacturers are thinking the same thing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's an interesting one, take the Cupra Born as an example. The Born 58kWh 204hp has a recommended on the road price of €40,820. For an extra €5,055 you can upgrade to the eBoost model with 231hp. If you wanted to spec the base the same as the eBoost you'd need to change the wheels (€746) add Tech "L" (€238), the HUD (€985), upgraded seats, (€1,303). Meaning that the extra HP is costing you €1,783.

All you are paying for with the different power is a software change on the motor, we think it's ok to charge an extra €1,800 at purchase, why wouldn't it be ok to make that a €20/month subscription?

@liamog - €20 per month is fine of course, but Mercedes is charging €1200 per year, which is €100 per month. That's simply too much, I don't think many people will take the offer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I paid the Tesla sub over the Summer but let it lapse when on holidays, couldn't be arsed re subbing now, I'm mostly work commute as I won't be golfing around the country in this weather. I would however pay an annual discounted fee, €100 say.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The EU need to kill, or at least heavily regulate, this subscription crap at birth. Any feature present in the car when you buy it should never be able to be removed.

If you want to add things after then sure, go for it. I’m sure the German marques will be lobbying heavily for a subscription model to cover what they won’t make in servicing and parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

This seems like very well researched article about carbon dioxide emissions of BEVs vs ICE:

It also touches the topic of particulate emissions from brakes and tyres.

I suppose the chance to dodge some VRT would also be welcome, since in theory you can buy a low spec car with a lower market value and upgrade it after purchase

I think a lot of Model S owners were doing that a while ago with the performance mode unlock?

Good god, a well researched article with multiple fact checked sources presenting a fact based opinion?

I'm guessing the author will be out of a job soon if he keeps that up 🤣

Seriously though, it's refreshing to see Irish journalists coming up with some proper articles about EVs instead of just repeating whatever the first two Google results say

I'm also extremely disappointed there were no comments on that article. The comments on the journal are so idiotic they make the boards politics forum look like a pinnacle of reasoned and we'll thought out debate 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cupra (and others) are forcing you into a host of other upgrades there just to get you the extra bhp though. Clever enough on their behalf but that's life.

You're fairly clued in on Evs and the whole industry @liamog what do you think a 222 plate Cupra Born will be worth in 2024.....with about 40k kms on it. I paid 41.5k for it, Aurora Blue metallic the only option.

Happy with it as my first foray into EV ownership but already have my beady eye on something new for 2024.

I assume a new Cupra Born will be the guts of 45 to 50k by then with grants removed. Or are grants just keeping the prices high artificially?

This is essentially what to do buying any Tesla.... wait til after delivery before purchasing Enhanced Auto Pilot or Full Self Drive, as if you select them as options when you order, you pay VRT on them (as well losing out on the grant in the cheapest Model 3 RWD)

Unfortunately that's something of a roll of the dice question, at the moment depreciation of EVs is almost zero, but that won't last forever

In theory by 2024 supply should be much greater, and all the ID.3s and Borns sold in 2020-2021 will be coming off PCP and a fair number of them will be entering the 2nd hand market

So more "normal" depreciation should apply, probably around 30-40% of the cars original value

However, the demand for EVs doesn't seem to be going down and the prices for new ones is only going up for now

As you noted, the Born is more expensive now than when you bought it for essentially the same car. Even if it retains most if it's value it could be a good deal next to buying now

So I'm going to roll the dice and say between €30-32k will be the expected value in 2024

Let me know in a couple of years how I did 😁

I wonder how long it'll take revenue to "fix" that situation. What's the bet they'll take the average of the cheapest and most kitted out Model 3 SR+ and that's the market value for all Model 3 SR+ versions

In a car 2 months and I am already looking at selling!! Loads of factors I know, grants (probably gone), supply (unknown), demand (economy dependent), choice of cars and competitors and whether the manufacturers actually drop prices as R&D costs have been recovered

As much as I like it I do want to move back into bigger cars and have the A6 Etron (possibly Avant) firmly in my sights

Never too early to plan the next move, or at least consider the possibilities

Nice choice with the A6, glad to see you're getting the right version (the estate) 👍

I'm not getting anything!! Just thinking out loud.

If I was lucky enough to be able to pull off the A6 etron i think I'll be in them forever. No compromises there at all, looks like my dream car. Not a big fan of SUVs, my dad has original etron SUV and I'm meh about it, and as much as I like to look at the likes of Taycan and etron GT, buying them wouldn't be for me, bit too flash.

One of the linked sources from the article is the Emissions Analytics report which claims cars emit 5.8g per kilometre of tyre particles. Their report is often cited by "well researched" journalists. But ask yourself the simple question. Do you lose 5.8kg of tyre every 1,000km. I'm averaging about 18,000km per year.

That means I should of lost 105kg of tyre in 1 year, tyres weigh about 12kg each. I don't remember driving them so low they'd all disintegrated I was on steel rims after just 8,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

People used to buy cars with no radio, steel wheels and then get them put in later. It's nothing new.

The new regulations for emergency call buttons on cars mean all cars must have a built in phone with location ability so the internet connection is there in every car.

In terms of subscriptions the big losers will be those who buy 10 or 20 year old cars for peanuts but fund basic features like Android auto or apple car play disabled. Apparently apple and Android charge a once off fee to manufacturers but many now want an annual fee for it to work. Worse still some of these connectivity are included for free to first owner who probably has bundles of cash but pay to use for later owners including cash strapped 10 or 15 year old car owners. Some of these optional extras are safety features such as upgrades from basic lane keeping to more advanced versions which could be the difference between life and death. It's getting like "would you like good brakes or bad brakes, enter your credit card number". Some new cars have buttons to press but they pop up a subscription screen instead of turning on heated seats. Manufacturers are only doing this to make more money, and it's the 2nd, 3rd owners that really pay as most optional packs and upgrades at purchase normally don't impact the used car price that much. Thus in the past 5k of options might result in a 500 euro premium on the used car. Now the option costs the same at 5 years or 15 years of age, no depreciation in the subscription, probably inflation in the annual cost. If you bypass the software lock have you committed a crime, if so do you actually own the car you bought?

I bought a heated aftermarket seat cover for 20 euro. These may get more popular in time.

• Advertisement

That would explain the trail of sparks when you're driving around 🤣

I agree that claim seems fairly dubious but I wonder if a fair amount of particulate detected was kicked off the road surface as the car drives over and disturbs it

Of course if that's the case then the authors of the report might go on to consider how the particulates got there in the first place (ahem, diesel, ahem) 😁

Advertisement