Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Put it in a faraday bag so!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Only works if car is unlocked for me, which is still very handy if you're plugging in as soon as you get home/work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Tesla isn't a smart charger, but most of what a smart charger like zappi & wallbox do is monitor your export energy using a CT clamp and start charging if that's more than 1.3kW

If you have Homeassistant, or your solar & car is integrated with Google home, Smartthings or Alexa it should be fairly easy to create a routine that will tell the car to charge if a) it's plugged in and b) you're exporting more than 1.3kW.

Ditto for being tariff aware - "if later than 11 and earlier than 8 and car plugged in, charge"

The Zappi ecosystem is nice enough with app, solar hot water & radiator diverter, charger all in 1 app.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

With home assist, how do you tell the car only to draw the amps that’s excess?

For example, when k plug a Tesla in, I can select 5a all the way uk to 32a?

With home assist, does it auto start at 32a or the lower?

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

im going to leave it. too much hassle as its really only plugging the damn thing in and out, im sure i can do it without breaking down into pieces even in winter. I take the bins out dont i.

the zappi hangs out, ie, the plug is out and in the way when getting bins out of the back of the house, im sure either ill break it or something will happen. if they had a side one id be all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Just set the charge timer on the car. Most, if not all EVs have this function. I set mine to charge after midnight. This can be overridden with the push of a button in the car, or on the car APP. I can set timers on my charger, but I just use the charger as a dumb charger with fancy lights 😋

When I get PV, I will look to use the chargers smarter functions.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

The official Tesla Gemini wheel kit is back in stock if anyone is interested. €53 incl. shipping.

I'm unable to post the link.

They are a decent option if you want to use the original alloys. Yes there are cheaper options available online but I think these are pretty good considering.

It’s a decent price for official kit.

Edit, I thought it was €35 from Tesla, not €53. Expensive alright.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/model-y-gemini-wheel-cap-kit

If I go without the covers I’ll be returning the wheels charcoal grey so I’ll buy the grey kit on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

€35 would make it easier to swallow alright or just include them. Still, they look nice and it won't break the bank.

Charcoal grey wheels - is that a powder coat of the OEM wheels or what is the plan there? The grey kit would go very well.

• Advertisement

Yes. I’d get the powder coated by wheel wizards or similar wheel refurb shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Isn't there a 4-5% range hit at higher speeds without the Gemini covers?

Most likely. I don’t need the range so I’ll the looks over function.

But that’s me, everyone’s different, if i needed the range, my last 3 cars would not have been the Performance versions with 21” wheels 🤣

I cant get a nct for my banger i want to hand in when getting the tesla. Next date is june 23. I dont really want to have to do it and put money in it, it was worth 1700 to tesla a few months ago when i was test driving and 1000 to skoda when trying an enyaq.

does it need a nct when being given up? If yes ill have to think how to find an earlier slot but might have to put money in (car is fine just probably little things).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

For Tesla trade in you must have an NCT I think it must also have at least a month left on it at time of trade, if you ring the NCT rather than go online you will likely get a much sooner appointment I got one recently within 2 weeks for the MIL

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

FWIW, I was trying to book an NCT for Limerick on Tuesday next available date was Mar 28th. I kept hitting back on the back and got one last night for 7.40pm. Looks like they update or add cancellations. Might be worth a try if you are stuck.

Yes i tried every few mins until 1130pm then again 4am, called them in morning and they put me on priority list

If only blue with white interior came in under 60k. White interior + non wood dash cover looks very nice in the vid below. Paint concerns probably apply equally to blue as to white, but maybe the chip would show up less on non-white.

(Only need to watch the first few minutes until the shilling starts)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cars from the USA => paint concerns

cars from Germany or China => no paint concerns

Don't worry about it. Our cars will not come from the USA

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've multiple chips (to bare metal) on my MSM 3 bonnet 8months in, had zero in previous 3 cars, could be down to luck

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

How are trade-in prices at Tesla I wonder? (looking to upgrade from a 2020 e-Niro - deciding between a Model Y / EV6 / Ioniq5)

Is it much better to sell privately 1st? Thank you.

As with any dealer, they will be better if trading in a Tesla. Same way if I go to BMW and try trade in a Tesla, they offer alot less.

In general, you will be better selling privately but my last 2 cars, Tesla bet the private RRP for trade in for me so I ended up trading in.

So in other words, submit your details to them. No harm. You don’t like the trade in offer you just decline it.

Sell privately or try a small dealer or Kia themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Don’t waste your time submitting the details unless you’re trading a used Tesla. They’ll make you a low ball offer of €3k-€5k less than it’s worth and hope you’ll go to the hassle of selling it on Donedeal.

Agree. Like any trade in to any main dealer, always worth selling privately 99.9% of the time.

That's not really what happens. Tesla couldn't care about your car, they don't assess it at all. They don't want to know, they don't want to even see it. No Tesla employee will ever touch or see your car. They just ring 3 traders and give the customer the best price these traders come up with. If you go ahead, trader pays Tesla and comes to take the car away, Tesla deducts the money from the bill.

It seems this is very different from how other dealers do business, but it isn't really. There's just no smoke and mirrors like in normal dealers who do the big spiel of the negotiation themselves, but then also offload your car to the trade, unless it is their own brand and max a few years old (so they can retail it)

Main Dealers are currently offering top end money for used cars as they can’t get stock since UK imports dried up. Obviously the caveat is the trade ins have to be saleable stock that they know they can shift directly or sell on to the trade in a bundle.

It’s very different as the offers made by Tesla are typically way under normal trade values. The traders Tesla use in Dublin are making great money off the backs of anyone that uses Tesla to trade in a non Tesla. If they really want to grow their market share, they’ll need to consider partnering with some other trade outlet or car supermarket to get potential customers a fair “cost to change value”.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree, but that's just not the Tesla business model. Worldwide. And I doubt they will change it for Ireland!

Advertisement