Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

No

Having talked directly to locals who live down there I've discovered the following

1: The ESB used that building while their old build in town was being renovated, they moved out of there recently enough. The expectation was that some other business would move in

2: The building was rezoned from Z6 to Z10. no one local was told about this. https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2021-11/mapsete.pdf

3: Work began a number of weeks ago to convert the building to house people. The sub contractors started work in the late evening and worked through until the early hours of the morning.

4: Coaches of people to be housed arrived at the building late in the evening.

5: When the locals did finally find out what was happening they were told it would be used to house Ukrainian refugee families, but so far it's only holding about 200 Male African economic migrants.

The whole thing was so clandestine, is it any wonder that people's backs have been riled up about this.

When will politicians learn, we live in the information age, it is impossible to hide stuff like this or try and be sneaky.

Also, something like this would not have happened in Dalkey, Blackrock or Dundrum so why is it happening in East Wall

I also definitely know a lot of skangers showed up that are racist "just cause"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

but so far it's only holding about 200 Male African economic migrants

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

No, but anything that relies on self reporting isn't going to reflect reality. It's absurd to think that such a method could result in totally accuracy.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No

https://www.thejournal.ie/protest-east-wall-refugees-asylum-seekers-5926136-Nov2022/

Says 150 men, but there are more arriving since the beginning of the week.

Quote:

Nigel Murphy, representing the local residents’ group, told the gathered crowd that East Wall is a multicultural neighbourhood “and we want to keep it like that”, adding that the issue was nothing to do with race. 

“The issue we have with this is they put 150 men in this building without consultation. No politician came to us, nobody spoke to us and they snuck them in in the middle of the night,” Murphy said, claiming that none of the asylum seekers in the old ESB building are from Ukraine.

“I don’t have any anger towards them men, they’re just pawns in a game. Our anger must be directed towards Roderic O’Gorman. That’s where the anger is,” he said.

End Quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

and they're all African? one guy I saw being interviewed by some far right racist piece of sh*t with a helium northie accent I would have thought was Middle Eastern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No

There are likely laws in place to allow for this (as their are the denial of state supports if they came explicitly for benefits), government just has no will to enforce.

In classic FG, Ireland fashion its easier to spend money than solve an issue

Oh okay, no one official, just a lads opinion. He couldn't possibly know where they are from. So we will rate your claim as unfounded.

There were 80 moved in on Friday and there’ll be a total of 380 to be accommodated there in total,” she said.

“There’ll be a mixture of singles and families included in the unit. When people get their applications assessed they’ll be moved as soon as possible.

“In the meantime, some of the people are from a hotel on Amiens Street that is no longer available, some are coming from one part of a locality to another rather than from further afield

Also no way the protest was racist.

When Murphy said that the asylum seekers in the building were not the enemy, there were further shouts from the crowd, including “they are the enemy”. 

😂

No

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of racist pricks jumping on the band wagon with this, and that's totally wrong.

The politicians are the problem here not, the people in the building. No one on this thread would do any different to what those men are doing if they were in their position. (Wanting a better life)

No

I seen one of the interviews, he seems like a reasonable man. He does live there after all, he's more idea of what's going on there more so than people that don't live there.

No

The CSO figures are accurate, as they register documented migrants.

The problem is that the figures are inaccurate when you consider that this number clearly excludes undocumented migrants.

As another poster has already said, what we see in the capital does not align with the CSO figures.

Clearly, something has gone wrong here.

• Advertisement

Yes

yep, irish people leave in their droves in times of recession, the only difference is we are privileged enough to come from a rich country where we get education and the ability to move legally to other countries. if ireland was still dirt poor lots of young men would be doing the exact same thing.

this is why i find it abhorrent for those scumbags to be shouting at the lads.

No

I think you're right, in that a lot of Irish people left during the recession and in the many many other economic low points this country has had.

The Irish were never really welcomed though to be fair, and that to me makes it even more abhorrent.

The Gas thing is, the country is desperately short on labour at the moment, and we REALLY need extra population.

I think the process is completely busted and also the general integration of asylum seekers into the Irish populous is poor at best. We end up with pockets of differing cultures rather than having a broad multicultural society, this in turn causes social issues.

I have no idea who is, but the baying mob disagree with him and you.

🤷‍♂️

No

As I said already, a lot of scumbags (who may not even live there) showed up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No

Yeah, tend to agree. There is plenty of Canada Goose clad little scrotes in that area that will latch onto this and cause trouble for non nationals.

I had a run in with one not so long back in McDonald's car park. Eating his food sitting on his moped and throwing his rubbish everywhere on the ground. No respect for the local area.

Yes

A little scumbag on a moped? Haven't seen that since the 90s. So retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

No

Exactly. Nobody would have issues with people coming here that will support themselves and contribute to society. If I went to Australia would I get in if I burned my passport on arrival? Would I get free money off the Australian tax payer? This is the type of immigration policy we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

No

The do-gooders and bread basket of Europe we are, but the majority of people are fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

edit: removed the quoted post, had the wrong 1

In my experience, using Brazilian's as an example is not too clever really. The majority I work with/meet are tax paying and hard working. The few Brazilian cleaners I had here in my office during 2020/2021 was only here as a means of getting out of covid riddled Brazil at the time and as soon as they could, they went back home to continue their college educations.

Any Brazilian I've met who isn't toeing the line is usually a scrote on a Deliveroo bike with a couple of wraps of sniff in his socks for sale. There's truth in what you're saying, our service industry would be almost crippled without migrants of some sort, but singling out Brazilian's is just inflammatory and directed at a group of people that I really feel like they don't deserve to be looked down upon.

You're also forgetting that Brazilian's contribute a massive amount to our nightlife in Dublin city whereas migrants from other countries would not - You won't often see a Pakistan night in Dicey's during the week.

tldr: leave it out the brazilians look super sexy and they're actually a contributing factor to making Dublin worth living in. They also know how to compromise and live in our culture without sacrificing their own and/or ramming it down our necks.

No

Nobody is targeting any one group.

It was mentioned to highlight a bigger problem - namely, the inaccuracy of CSO data on how many undocumented migrants (of any nationality) may be living in the country.

The CSO data is clearly inaccurate, and you cannot effectively plan ahead for a country on the back of inaccurate data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

London is that dangerous a place we now need to take asylum seekers from there? 🤣

Beggars belief that we entertain this nonsense. They should be swiftly deported and stop wasting resources that other genuine asylum seekers do need.

Fair dues - Just wanted to point out that Brazilian's, in my experience, are the type of people you want to move here.

Regarding the CSO and figures; I'd wholly agree with you. I wouldn't for one moment believe they weren't edited to keep people's temperaments in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

So in imaginationland you presume Irish people would do the same, so it makes it ok.

That’s that settled so……..

Hilarious, he has a way better grasp of English then the absolute yokes screeching at him.

Maybe we could swap him for one of those. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

No

I don't think this is an Ireland is full racist march, don't get me wrong I'm sure there's an under current of people there for that. But this is about grown men arriving in, not fleeing war in Ukraine. It's other grown men fleeing god knows what, or from god knows where. They seem to be arriving here with no paper work, how does anybody know they are not here because they are feeling sentencing for some hideous crime in what ever country they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No

All depends on one’s definition of racism, to many , even asking if admission should only be granted to those undoubtedly fleeing persecution, is racism

effectively desiring rigorous assessment of asylum applicants is racist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

No

Or perhaps we could swap him for a 50-something male, who spends his days perpetually posting inane nonsense on an obscure website?

That seems like a more productive trade.

Yes

They have done and I would and you'd be a bit ignorant of human behaviour and history if you thought otherwise

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure her opinion has nothing to do with leftover colonial vibes from the yesteryear but I shouldn't comment on it really - I've no experience of Portugal bar a few holidays in tourist areas and frankly your story is just hearsay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement