Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great that a football thread has instead of dealing with football has been hi- jacked by dog whistlers and vested interests.

Suggestion, start a thread on the role of of FIFA and the State of Qatar in the 2022 World Cup.

Leave the football to the rest of us.

We can contribute to the non football thread if we are as driven as some here seem to be.

Load of woodsmoke here in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Never used it. My kids may someday. Their prerogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭McFly85

Do people really believe that if you’ve used a Visa card that you have no right to speak about human rights in Qatar? Really?

• Advertisement

I think the reactionary attitude is along the lines of 'don't put me on a guilt-trip and interfere with my WC viewing.' Everybody knows that FIFA and Qatar are corrupt and the tournament shouldn't have gone there. Everybody knows that women, gays and migrant workers are treated appallingly. They just don't want to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He works with them on behalf of the United Nations ffs. How else do you think they could change work practices??

That’s like saying John Hume worked with the British Government on the Good Friday Agreement so NI Catholics shouldn’t trust it.

Remove the tin foil hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm another. It gives me that impression. What do you want a link to? A scientificly-conducted peer-reviewed study that investigates the connestion boards.ie users who use the word "woke" are opinions that they are pouplist Trump-supporters?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So you ask for a source and then dismiss it when it goes against your point. You're not interested in the truth, you just have an axe to grind.

Indians are not stupid. They're not going to travel all the way to another country for worse pay, worse safety and living conditions. Why would anybody do that? They go to Qatar to better themselves through hard work, something the woke brigade don't seem to understand.

I cam imagine some poor conditions for refugees here, but not on the Qatar scale of inhabitable accommodation for migrant workers given the footage available and media reports from camps. Refugees, wherever they are worldwide, aren't required to work lengthy days in 52 degree heat. Nor are they prevented from returning to their homeland.

• Advertisement

I don’t mind hearing about it. I just don’t care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

No alls well. The opinion of 2 boardies is good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let me direct you to the first post in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058269695/qatar-world-cup/p1, now, take a look at the name of the forum: Current Affairs/IMHO. You're posting in the very thread you're suggesting someone create.

Soccer is this way: https://www.boards.ie/categories/soccer

To what? Photos of the type of deplorables I referenced? Every utterance of the word "woke" in this thread?

The word is meaningless. To some it originally signified a short-hand for describing their interest in social equity, to others it's become an ad-hominem attack used because they know they'll get banned for calling the other poster a pussy (and they're too much of a coward to accept the consequences of their actions).

So, yeah, it's a stupid word to use. It just signifies that you haven't a better argument to make but want to lash out at someone who disagrees with you.

Soccer is behind a permission wall, dude, not accessible to everyone.

Thats the difference, I do accept your point though, however I would suggest that perhaps the thread title might be re-worked to reflect the non soccer content and the blatant woodsmoking going on over stuff that was decided 10 or 12 years ago.

To quote the cliche “We are where we are”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Visa are a FIFA partner.

Johnson and Johnson, and Contential are both sponsors for this world cup.

I don't believe that an adult in this day and age can avoid using Visa and certainly not J+J products in some shape or form.

And if you do have Mastercard rather than Visa was it by chance or because you decided to avoid them because of their partnership with FIFA?

And if it was the latter is it because of FIFAs awarding the 2022 WC to Qatar back on Dec 2nd 2010 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,491 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is truly amazing that FIFA thought it too dangerous for elite athletes to play in that heat, but not migrant workers treated no better than slaves to build stadiums in it.

Not as amazing as the multimillionaire FIFA president staying at 7 star hotels claiming he is a migrant worker too mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

It is interesting that criticisms of Qatar involving gay rights don't routinely use the word Muslim or Islam when criticising even though its identity as an Islamic state goes very much hand in hand with the approach to gay people. The RTE article in the OP does not once use the word Muslim or Islam. It really waters down the criticism and creates a foundation of sand for the person criticising "Qatar" if they don't make the link.

The soccer forum is accessible to anyone who can behave themselves on an internet discussion forum.

"We are where we are" is a stupid cliché really. It's used by people who refuse to admit they've done wrong and don't want to pay the price for correcting their past mistakes. In an Irish context, it's usually a politician trying to absolve themselves of their or their party's disastrous policies. In the context of this world cup, it's an admission that Qatar should never have been selected as host, that there have been enormous human rights violations, that the hosts are arseholes who believe in oppressing women, gay people and opposing freedom of speech but we shouldn't question their imposition of 7th century superstitions because they're rich and it's crucially important that we can get to watch a few football matches.

Qatar 2024 shouldn't be happening. The teams shouldn't be there. Yes, I'm sure it'd be a disappointment for football fans to miss out on the biggest event in the sport but if those fans and the football associations that represent them had the backbone to stand by their own morals, they'd have boycotted the tournament.

The figure is incorrect btw, but still bad. Just under 16 times that of the UK. Quick calculations:

India population - 1.393 billion, 21 times bigger than the UK at 67.33 million. 144 UK UK deaths by 21 is 3,024 which is per capita less than 1/16th of the UK deaths. Not the exaggerated 20 times.

You said 20 times that of Europe not the UK. Where is your source for that, particularly given the higher rates of construction deaths in Russia, Bulgaria and other parts of the East, including European Turkey where Istanbul has an enormous problem.

• Advertisement

You seem not to understand 'dog-whistliing' in politics. It refers to covert coded or suggestive language that is audible to some but not all. Not the case here at all. Qatar has a reprehensible regime. FIFA is corrupt. Thousands of people have dies due to both. Couldn't be clearer.

The ILO mandate is to advance social and economic justice by setting international labour standards. Which it has manifestly failed to do in Qatar and he has not tackled the authorities though his employers did state that:

'If all the deaths had been investigated properly, it's highly likely that many more could be re-categorised as work-related. Deaths from heart attacks / respiratory failure are not counted as work-related, even though these are common symptoms of heatstroke."

A blog is not a factual source. Surely you understand that. C'mon, that's basic comprehension.

Desperate people do desperate things in the hope of improving their lives. That's what poverty does and it's unrelated to intellect. They take a gamble on not dying. That gamble unfortunately failed for thousands of them.

Your prerogative. But then display that same indifference to Irish workers or hospital patients who die unnecessarily.

Revolut Maestro. Ease of use, nothing else.

No Johnson and Johnson products in my shopping trolley. Easy to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not visa but if you've used cocaine, illegally imported or cultivated marijuana or other narcotics then that moral high ground is very shaky.

I understand it quite well, I have to admit.

The average soccer fan like myself understands all the details of this tournament, but when a poster rocks in with three or four consecutive posts all trying to bulldoze in a point of view then I reach the conclusion that there is a specific agenda there not a whistle the average fan can hear.

Fair enough if you trawl through Supermarkets avoiding J&J products and paying with Visa but I put it to you that most soccer fans would not be inculcated with such a zealous thwack of the ‘moral outrage’ stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty sure there was a documentary on the BBC about it.

Anyway, the whole left/right thing has been replaced by woke/popularist and people who use said terms are the only ones who give a **** despite, untimately, being just as suggestive as the people they decry.

And no, I don't have a link to that, it's an opnion based on obsevation.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

hon Ghana !

marital arts expert

• Advertisement

I didn’t say anything about British or European death rates. I just found the disputed quote.

Advertisement