Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Lol, keep moving those goalposts.

Either way, the fact remains that we're coming up on 50 years since "resources" were found in Barryroe and still no signs of a drilling platform to extract a drop.

Hmm, I wonder why that is.

No doubt the many partners who walked away from PR (Barryroe Resources) would be able to shed some light on the matter. Weird how so many keep walking away from Barryroe isn't it?

Will we see Goodman losing his shirt on this? My guess is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some here will go to attempting to knock anything they do not like based on financial viability when they cannot even answer the most basic financial questions on their own grand schemes. A neck like a jockey`s behind does not come close.

Amusing to see the flap Larry Goodman`s backing has created with this faux concern that he will lose his shirt over this investment when it`s so obvious that all Ryan`s hand-sitting attempts to stop this development came down to the feeble bully-boy "We don`t believe you have the finances" when it was no concern of the State if they had or not. That, like everything else this duplicitous Minister was nothing other than his hope without a permit they would not get the finances.

When it comes to losing shirts, Ryan would do well to mind his own. Attempting to use his office to push around someone worth €2.5 Billion like he has been doing with Barryroe could easily leave him very short in the wardrobe department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Lol, keep moving those goalposts.

Uh, I just blew your alleged "poor results" out of the water with no comeback from you, and I'm the one moving the goalposts?

Either way, the fact remains that we're coming up on 50 years since "resources" were found in Barryroe and still no signs of a drilling platform to extract a drop. Hmm, I wonder why that is.

Fairly easily explicable, actually, if you knew the history. Esso drilled two wells in 1973-74 which flowed 1500 bbl/day. This was the era of giant North Sea discoveries, and comparatively primitive technology, so commercial viability had a very different definition back then. Marathon (who later became Kinsale Energy Limited) were also drilling the Celtic Sea in the 70s but instead of discovering oil they found gas. As you know, Kinsale Head produced most of the country's gas for forty years. Marathon then came back and drilled what is now Barryroe in 1990. Once again they hit gas in what became the Seven Heads field, an extension of Kinsale Head. That gas came online in 2003. Barryroe sits vertically under Seven Heads. Seven Heads is simply the name given to the Upper Wealden Sands. Barryroe consists of Middle, Lower, and Basal Wealden sands which, along with the Purbeckian are all part of the same Cretaceous hydrocarbon deposit. There is a possible further Jurassic oil horizon sitting even lower again. So, in fact, this area has been producing commercial hydrocarbons since the 1990s.

Providence drilled Barryroe in 2011. The drill was beset by difficulties. The rickety old rig hired from TransOcean broke down and delays pushed the drill into a bad weather window. A planned sidetrack well never got drilled. Testing of the intervals that were drilled was limited because they hit gas as well as oil but were only equipped to test the latter. A dispute with TransOcean over costs turned into multi-year litigation, a case eventually lost by Providence. Meanwhile Providence -- who were an explorer and never intended to be an oil field operator -- went wildcat drilling in the Atlantic. O'Reilly's idea was that he would clock up a raft of discoveries and sell them on to an oil major for easy money. He never intended to have to develop Barryroe himself. We know how that worked out. From 2014 onwards there was a slump in the oil markets and the majors were pulling in their horns on investments ( -- that underinvestment is still costing us in terms of today's high oil prices). O'Reilly had frittered away money on his wildcats that could have developed Barryroe. Now he was left chasing a bunch of chancers for development funds, and tapping up shareholders for spare change to keep the lights on at company HQ.

No doubt the many partners who walked away from PR (Barryroe Resources) would be able to shed some light on the matter. Weird how so many keep walking away from Barryroe isn't it?

All of them dodgy characters, none of them actual oil companies. Spot On did actually put together a consortium of majors capable of doing the development work, who are still available even though Spot On failed on the fund raising front. (Another long story involving the Norwegian government). None of the failures had anything to do with Barryroe technicals.

Will we see Goodman losing his shirt on this? My guess is yes.

Great! Let Ryan issue the petroleum lease undertaking so, as he should have nothing to worry about. Providence will eventually have to relinquish the license and Ryan can put it in the lockbox along with all the other exploration licenses that will never get developed. Nothing to worry about, right? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Does it not seem baffling that in a time of global uncertainty around the availability and pricing of oil/gas that our own government would hamstring the country by banning new permits. Would any other country be stupid enough to do this?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

it`s so obvious that all Ryan`s hand-sitting attempts to stop this development came down to the feeble bully-boy "We don`t believe you have the finances" when it was no concern of the State if they had or not.

and yet its a documented requirement for all offshore developments, be they wind, oil, gas etc. Everyone has to meet the same requirement. Providence Resources (Barryroe Resources) were not a special case despite their cries (echoed by many here) of being unfairly persecuted.

I pointed out this would be an issue for the Barryroe lads ages ago and I was right. They managed to get Goodman at the last minute. Lord knows what they had to promise him but I'm guessing they're the ones short a few items in the shirt department lol

It'll be interesting to see if they can actually make a go of it this time, though I doubt it but we'll see. I'm honestly looking forward to them completing this phase as it'll be funny to watch once they're done when they don't do anything else, as they did with so many of their other licenses which they allowed to lapse despite so many showing promise of untold riches. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, they have form in failing/quitting with everything they touch, this will be no different.

I've heard it said that Barryroe is to oil what fusion is to nuclear, i.e. about to happen....any day now.....trust us. Don't know how true that is though I'd hold hope for fusion faster than I would for Barryroe lol

• Advertisement

Let Ryan issue the petroleum lease undertaking so, as he should have nothing to worry about. Providence will eventually have to relinquish the license and Ryan can put it in the lockbox along with all the other exploration licenses that will never get developed. Nothing to worry about, right?

Thats pretty much the way I see it going

Not at all baffling. It's all part of the Green virtue signalling that views it as ok to import 100% of our oil and soon 100% of our gas plus French nuclear, as long as we don't dirty our own hands. Ignore the fact that imported hydrocarbons have a higher CO2 footprint than indigenous resources. Ignore the fact that Big Wind is bilking us for government handouts while moaning about oil subsidies. All will be paid for by taxing the living hell out of citizens who have been terrified into compliance. It will all be worth it when we've saved 0.05% of global emissions and 0.0°C of warming. (And don't mention the fact that we are rapidly failing at even that).

I've heard it said that Barryroe is to oil what fusion is to nuclear, i.e. about to happen....any day now.....trust us. Don't know how true that is though I'd hold hope for fusion faster than I would for Barryroe lol

Then you must love the fact that the self-same incompetent who led Providence is now in charge of Ireland's hydrogen dreams. LOL.

Hey I'm no fan of the man and his litany of failures are well known. I guess thats why SNAM have installed their own people on the board, to ensure no shenanigans. Who knows maybe he'll do something right and his legacy will be a burgeoning hydrogen sector in Ireland that will end up killing off fossil fuels in our grid.....the irony is not lost on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

It's not the price it's that obstructive to the point of corruption gombeen Eamon Ryan

Grown up governments are needed for oil and gas project's not ones with baby's as the enemy minister

And you would have examples of modern non estuary tidal plant of course . . . .

Edit for grammar

If "It`s a documented requirement for all offshore developments" then you will have no difficulty in providing the financial cost for the E.S.B. offshore plan, so lets see it.

The bitterness on Ryan now being backed into a corner of his own making is palpable and the faux concern of Larry Goodman losing money on the venture based on nothing other than your own guesswork and what somebody down the pub told you comparing nuclear fusion to oil is highly amusing.

The painful truth for you, Ryan and anyone else that backed this scandalous use of Ministerial office by foot-dragging, hand-sitting and bully-boy tactics have just been handed their ass`s on plates. Other than issue the permit that should have been issued on day one, the only other option now open to Ryan is to attempt the same messing around with Goodman, and unless he is dumber than a brick, (and admittedly there is no evidence to suggest he is not), then I cannot see that ending well for him.

So why don`t you just suck it up and move on and at least attempt to add something to the debate. You could start with your assertion that financial viability is a documented requirement for all offshore development by posting just what that is for this E.S.B. offshore plan you are so keen on.

Solid post, I have some o&g experience but this puts it better than I could have

k, anyway we should start to see a drop in numbers as the smoky fuels ban gets bedded in. I know many here strongly support cleaner air initiatives and I'm sure you do too. Its important the nations kids are protected from harmful pollution

Omg you're so wrong as to be delusional

The Saudis have a lifting cost of $5 per barrel

Canada a swing producer has a breakeven cost of $40 - $50 per barrel

You failed mate

At least show you're not balless and spineless and admit it

I have no idea who you are replying to, but it is not me.

My question to you was that based o your assertion that a financially viable plan is in your own words "a documented requirement for all offshore developments" then you will obviously have no problem showing what they are for the E.S.B. offshore plan you are such a fan off.

That is unless it do not exist. Which in light of your own assertion, would be very negligent of Ryan as the relative Minister would it not seeing as it was such a concern for him with Barryroe ?

Collective stupidity is no defence

No option should be banned that's the road to an evil totalitarian state

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Quite possibly one of the best rebuttals I’ve seen on this thread- nay, boards itself.

Side question is- how the hell does o Reilly keep getting involved in these things- how is he not bankrupt?

• Advertisement

If you thought that was bad, wait til you hear about carbon taxes and the schedule of increases for that tax

Who exactly are you replying to here ?

Like I think it's clear nobody would be surprised if you confessed to being a paid shill for the green party

I'll run your point for a second though, where are the green dividends and the schedule of dividends to be paid to normal people because like there is none, it's all catholic churchesuqure you're going to hell if you don't repent and put ever increasing amounts of money into the bishops box

You seem to misunderstand the requirement, maybe go off and have a look at it again, I've posted it several times.

On a side note, why do you think I have any data relating to the ESB? You keep going on about them, well, them and Drax. I don't know its hard to keep up with these loops but at what point did I give the impression I have any data on the ESB?

If you wish to know about the ESB and their finances, go look up their annual financial statements. Its what I did for Providence which is why I could see a mile off they were going to be in trouble because they didn't have the financial resources required and hey presto, they were in trouble because of their finances.

As for the ESB and them meeting the requirements for offshore developments, as I said, several times in fact, EVERYONE involved in offshore development has to meet all the requirements set out, without exception. That applies for oil, gas and wind. That you are assuming the ESB has some exception is just weird as it doesn't seem to be based on any factual information. Unless you have something you wish to share of course. Do you?

Like I think it's clear nobody would be surprised if you confessed to being a paid shill for the green party

Why? Because I disagree with you? lol

Simple truth is, I'm not a member of the GP, never voted for any of them. Don't need to be a GP member to be environmentally conscious

I'll run your point for a second though, where are the green dividends and the schedule of dividends to be paid to normal people because like there is none, it's all catholic churchesuqure you're going to hell if you don't repent and put ever increasing amounts of money into the bishops box

Its not a stock so no idea what dividends have to do with anything but if you'd like to know what its used for, have a read of this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I don’t think dacor is a member of the GP.

Sounds a bit like John gibbons though…….

Details released on the Barryroe Resources (Providence resources) deal with Goodman and boy is it a good deal for Goodman, terrible for the Barryroe lads but then I guessed as much

Beef magnate Larry Goodman may end up owning more than three-quarters of Barryroe Offshore Energy in just over two years’ time, after agreeing to provide a €40 million funding backstop to help the oil and gas explorer secure a lease to progress its key prospect off the Cork coastline.

So its

• a €40 million funding backstop with
    • 10% annual interest (holy farking crap!!!)
    • due for repayment end of 2024 (ha! good luck)

Here's the kicker

Funds drawn down by Barryroe over the lifetime of the facility will be convertible into shares when they mature at the end of 2024 at either 1.5c per share or Barryroe’s prevailing share price at the time, if that is lower. If the maximum €40 million is borrowed and converted into equity for 1.5c per share, Mr Goodman would end up with a stake of 76.6 per cent, according to Irish Times calculations.

After which point Vevan (Goodmans company) will be allowed to buy up additional shares for up to a decade thereby allowing him to pretty much buy the company outright if he wishes.

So whats next?

Alan Curran, who took over as Barryroe chief executive in July, said that company “will rapidly move to commence preparations for drilling operations” once the department grants the lease undertaking. However, it will likely be 2024 before drilling will start.

Err, I thought they were in a rush? Oh well, guess not

Note Goodman already owned 16.1% of Barryroe through Vevan prior to this so maybe its a case of "in for a penny, in for a pound" or is it "throwing good money after bad". Not sure which is most appropriate

Don't forget branding them with hot irons, you keep forgetting that part

In other news, the UK grid is projecting power cuts of up to 3 hours in some areas with the Nat Grid boss saying they'll be most likely in Jan or Feb

This doesn't make sense though. The UK has nuclear and LNG terminals and oodles of oil and gas from the North Sea fields.

Loads here claim that if we just did nuclear or LNG or opened up more oil/gas exploration then we'd be fine yet the UK has ALL of those and is screwed. Kinda shoots a hole right through the middle of that argument

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

And the EU can't impose tariffs or bans on the cheap Chinese ones because they control most of rare earth minerals

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Oh don't worry -- O'Reilly always got paid, regardless of Providence's fortunes. Best part of a million a year IIRC. They had to pay him extra to get lost in the end too. There's a certain class of person who swans from one C-suite job to the next. The main qualifications seem to be a giant sense of entitlement and lack of shame. Puts a big smile on my face that he's the guy who'll be implementing Da Cor's green hydrogen dreams (tempered only by the fact that it's going to cost Ireland a packet).

• Advertisement

This doesn't make sense though. The UK has nuclear and LNG terminals and oodles of oil and gas from the North Sea fields.

Loads here claim that if we just did nuclear or LNG or opened up more oil/gas exploration then we'd be fine yet the UK has ALL of those and is screwed. Kinda shoots a hole right through the middle of that argument

They also have 25 GW of installed wind capacity. How's that working out for them?

Advertisement