Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Mesh Sytem Advice

Options
  • 24-11-2022 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Currently I have 500 Gig download and 50 up FTTH package from Pure Telecom The ONT is in my hall connected to the ISP supplied router (a Fritzbox 7350). I live in 3 bed 2 story house, my home office is upstairs in the furthest corner away from the router. I did some testing around the house by running iperf3 in server mode on my laptop and running iperf in client mode on my android phone (PingTools app). Below are my results

Client and location: Phone ,Hall (Right next to the router)

Server: Laptop, Hall (Right next to the router)

Ping average (count 20) 5ms

Iperf over 20 seconds 99 Mbps

Ookla speed test 215 up 50 down

Client and location: Phone , Office

Server: Laptop, Office

Ping average (count 20) 8ms

Iperf over 20 secs 28 Mbps

Ookla speed test Ookla speed test 41 down 17 up

Client and location: Phone ,Living room (just next to the hall)

Server: Laptop, Office

Ping average (count 20) 8ms

Iperf over 20 secs 49 Mbps

Ookla speed test 210 down 40 up

Directly wired into the router I get a download of almost 500 and upload of 50. The obvious black spot is my office. The other concern is that I am considering getting a shield pro to stream from my PC in my office to my living room.

I was thinking of getting 2 Deco M5 nodes configured in Access Point mode (the fritzbox supplies a VOIP phoneline so it cant be replaced) and then put the second node upstairs on the landing to improve throughput to the office. I realize there are better mesh systems out there but m5's are within my budget €200 max). Would 2 M5's improve on the above test results?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

...but nothing beat's Ethernet connection, if you could possibly run it directly to your "office"

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭peter_h1979

Thanks for the feedback I'm fully aware that wired connection are always the best however I'm not in position to be running cable from the hall up to the office. I'm just looking for advice on how to best maximise wifi coverage, download and throughput. As stated earlier my download 500 would an AC1300 rated system like the m5's be good enough for this?

The theoretical max speed of the 5 Ghz band on the m5's are 876 Mbps but what would the real worlds speeds be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

All speeds are great on the paper, but how can one posibly tell what will you get - to many variables could be involved(distance, structures in the way, number of clients on the network, other WiFi networks, etc)

No Ethernet backhaul? - call it whatever you want but its effectively repeater with its own issues, unless has dedicated band for backhaul, or perhaps only used as WiFi backhaul to extend the network.

Did you look into powerline addapters? not a fan of them either, but "whatever it takes to get it done", make sure 1000 mbps support on Ethernet side

Perhaps you could order online, do the test, return* if not happy.

Read reviews , take notes what environment the tests were caried out.

https://www.mbreviews.com/tp-link-deco-m5-review/2/

Advertisement