Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Russia invaded us in the morning, who would come to our aid?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In accordance with the terms of EU treaties all members of the EU would be required to come to our assistance it would be exactly the same as an attach on NATO. Ireland is not a neutral country. Not going to happen, so find something more realistic to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

It’s an interesting question. In the highly unlikely event it did occur my take would be a look at our history.

First off I don’t think you would see the yanks or NATO helping beyond provision of weaponry and war funds. The Brits would immediately shore up the boarder and assist with people fleeing to the six counties.

But I think you would see a mass mobilization of militia elements on the island to disrupt, destroy and kill as many Russians as possible. The provisional movements in the past genuinely shows how crazy Irish people can be when faced with a superior foe. I think there is this strange burning patriotic fire in a lot of Irish people and throw into the mix proper weapons then you have a genuine resistance beyond the standard army.

Anyway that’s my opinion of this will never happen scanerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Russia isn't going to be invading anyone in the morning, let alone us.

Is this the case? Not what I had been led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The UK and USA and the EU, in that order would blow their asses to hell if they ever invaded Ireland.

There are a lot of politicians with Irish connections in both camps in the USA.

The UK will put a stop to it for mostly selfish reasons. They don't want the Russian Bear at their doorstep.

The EU, well they would have no choice but to put a stop to it.

Ok, a World War might be triggered. But c'est la vie.

• Advertisement

You've missed the point, completely.

The question is asking us to hypothetically examine the possible geopolitical and military consequences if Russia were to meddle in a non-NATO European country. Whilst it may not happen, it's interesting to assess the possible implications. A global nuclear war is also highly unlikely, but military experts have gamed all possibilities out, regardless.

Your blithe dismissal is of little to no value here.

I ignore everything you write. I've told you this many times. You're contribution here is absolutely worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Ukraine land grab was not unlikely. Neither are political games especially with Russia.

Invading Ireland however would make no sense even in a military fictional what if scenario.

It would be more like James Bond plot. Evil Irish billionaire threatens moon with nuclear rocket. That may be Despicible 4 or Artemis Fowl plot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not about Russia invading us,the fact people expect everyone to come save us and ensure our sovereign territory,

But then turning around and saying ohhh I don't want us going to help our friends and allies

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

You werent made to vote on the same thing twice.

The EU said 'hey Ireland how about this'.

And Ireland said 'ok looks pretty good ... except that bit about nuclear energy and neutrality'.

So the EU came back with a new proposal which was like the old proposal ... minus the bits we didnt like.

Its a new model. Ps4, Ps5. Lisbon 1, Lisbon 2.

Also EU didnt trigger Article 13.

Also you can expect military assistance from the EU, and no that doesnt infer that we must do the same, we have a clause for our neutrality.

So thats 4 swings, 4 misses.

Ffs go and read.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement

It's not interesting to explore because it makes no sense. So any consequences and response would have be equally nonsensical. Rendering the reason for exploring it pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Would we need help? Ukraine seem to be doing okay and we have something they don't. Hurls.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

More chance of US invading Russia

Bingo.

There are so, so, many things standing in the way of a Russian invasion of Ireland - especially in the light of recent military events over the past year - that any contemplation of it or the subsequent fallout is rendered utterly pointless.

You are 100% wrong on the Lisbon treaty. All the EU did was clarify some points, but the treaty itself was unchanged. All the other EU states had already ratified it, so there was NO CHANGE between Lisbon 1 and 2. It was like Boris Johnson's oven ready Brexit deal, that was the exact same as Theresa May's one.

As for Article 16, the EU almost triggered it, and it was only blocked at the last minute. Dublin were kept completely out of the loop by them.

"The EU had signalled its intention to trigger Article 16 of the protocol to temporarily place export controls on the movement of vaccines amid an ongoing row with AstraZeneca, which has said expected initial deliveries of its Covid-19 jab will fall short.

That controversy is explained in further detail here.

The plans led to frantic talks between Dublin, London and Brussels on Friday evening, before the EU was forced to do a dramatic u-turn at the literal eleventh hour."

They only didn't because someone copped on to themselves at the last minute.

And I'm surprised the non neutral EU countries agreed to protect us but we didn't agree to protect them.

So why have a military at all in that case? Let's get rid of them and save ourselves a few billion a year.

Our military is largely employed in overseas peacekeeping activities, for which we are highly regarded.

• Advertisement

So what? Seems an expensive waste of money if we have no fear of ever being invaded. Plenty of other countries who actually need an army can do this.

Yeah, so what... 🙄

You just didn't understand the point did you.

Can't answer the question. Not surprising TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because since the beginning of this inane thread, you've completely failed to grasp the concept, that the future is unknown.

I already gave you the example of the Ukrainians hosting Euro 2012 with Poland, sitting in the stadium in Kharkiv, for example, drinking a beer, enjoying the football and the festivities on a balmy summer night.

If you tried to tell one of those Ukrainians that night, that in 11 years time, their Country would be semi-occupied, mostly bombed out west of the Dnipro and 15% of their population would have fled as refugees of War, they'd have called the men in white coats to take you away....

A modern military is an insurance policy, kept by responsible nations due to to the regrettable lessons of history. Including the history being written this very day in the Donbass.

And no amount of child level logic and argument from you, will make you correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Actually geopolitically the Ukraine war was inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The scenario is highly unlikely but the point is who would come to out aid?

I would guess that the UK due to their own security concerns

Likewise the EU France for the same reason

USA due to historic connections and the potential of being cut off from Europe.

To what extent is the next question..

Weapons yes, troops not so much, perhaps UK as they would like to ensure our victory but they might not want to start a nuclear war over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Im 100% fvcking right.

"Almost" counts for shyte. Yes or no. In this instance NO. So you can stop parroting your weasely 'almost's.

Lisbon 2: The terms and words we voted on changed. For us. Our choice.

And who really cares if youre surprised. You might spend a lot less time being surprised if you actually went and researched the topics youre yapping about. Read, then opine.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

You might have picked a better example. Ukraine V Russian, (in their various forms and incarnations) has been being going on militarily and politically, through various form of states and countries for quite a while, historically speaking.

The point that Ireland is woefully under prepared to police/patrol/observe its borders, at land sea and air is Certainly valid.

Though defending it against any force that had the means to invade from a large distance is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

Much as some would like to dismiss I'd say the English would be the first to our aid.Better the divil you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I wouldn't be so certain about that. Ireland is strategically interesting, an Island in the Atlantic. Thus it's not impossible to think that the Russians might be considering something.

And to answer the original question, I would say any military aid and help would be at first subject to a longer debate. I would guess, it would be a joint US and UK operation. US because many Americans have ties to Ireland, and UK because the RAF is already contracted to defend the airspace. Also I am sure the Brits would have considered the threat of having a Russian occupied Ireland on their doorstep, and they would hardly accept that.

I am also sure, the likes of GCHQ would spot any kind of Russian build up far ahead and warn the Irish and the world about it.

Advertisement