Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A wet and windy start to the day in Greystones. 8.0mm so far this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

horrible commute this morning to dublin heavy rain wind surface water pitch black. I’ve said it before but the people I met moaning about the heat last summer I’d love to punch! I’m joking of course but I personally don’t like this time of year at all. Will get away for a week again next month thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like the Orange warning counties didn't get the expected amount of rain, perhaps except for the very south east (edit: maybe the met rainfall radar is acting up as the echoes don't look right?). Very heavy rain in the midlands early this morning moving northeastwards and pretty nasty looking weather inbound to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

Torrential rain overnight in Clonmel anyway, a river of water flowing down the Heywood road from the rugby club direction, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some flash flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

According to the gauge, there has been 9.7mm of rain since 5am here in meath, and its still bucketing down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Full on gale in Greystones with driving rain. 35kts gusting 45kts atm. 20.0mm since midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Clocked up 22.3mm in south Laois from that front with a nice sup in the embedded squall line that passed over around 6.50am.

Sun is out now, and the clouds are slowly clearing eastwards. 7.6c and just a light breeze.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty calm in SW Kerry, but looks like it will pickup significantly in the next few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Intermittent solid showers then bright sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Have we had a named storm yet this season? I don't think we have! Would that be one of the first autumns in a while without a named storm (granted storm naming only started recently enough!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Finished up with 14.4mm, and clearing away now, with bright sky to our south

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Topping trees around the garden today here in Kerry, blustery in the showers being convective in nature but good bright spells also, 7.5C now so need to keep moving but grand to be out in it all the same and well wrapped up, good for the soul and the stiff bones ! I need to take every opportunity to be out in the air and brightness this time of the year especially after all the wet weather, don't like being too cooped up and get sick of the heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It took until 26th November for last autumn's first storm to be named - Arwen. 2019 did not have a named storm by our Mets in spite of being reminisced as a complete washout on here though it did have ex-hurricane Lorenzo 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Louth, Monaghan and Donegal

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Heavy pulses of rain may lead to flooding in places.
    • Valid: 12:23 Monday 21/11/2022 to 20:00 Monday 21/11/2022
    • Issued: 12:24 Monday 21/11/2022

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork and Kerry

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Particularly strong west to northwest winds are expected for a time this evening and tonight with gusts in excess of 100 km/h.
    • Valid: 20:00 Monday 21/11/2022 to 04:00 Tuesday 22/11/2022
    • Issued: 11:50 Monday 21/11/2022

Kerry TAF ,windy after midnight for a few hours with a small chance of gusts of 50 knots

BECMG 2120/2122 28020G35KT 

PROB30 TEMPO 2122/2124 28025G45KT 

BECMG 2200/2202 31025G40KT 

PROB30 TEMPO 2200/2203 30028G50KT 

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm a bit surprised there wasn't a rain warning issued for Cork. Bucketing down for the last couple of hours with ponding all over the city centre.

Midnight,and a fair difference in weather across the country from 1 degree and Fog in Ballyhaise to 11 degrees at Sherkin and gusting 52 knots

What Shakespeare called "Infinite variety."

Been much abed so just ( JUST!) sound effects out here... Drummers hard at work on roof and windows...Sleep has been elusive and " the moat" is full...

Sweet peace now..

West Mayo offshore

Rather nice here in Castlebar today,light winds and some sunny spells

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a horrible damp drizzely morning here in Meath, cool and wet. Thankfully there are signs that this 3 month long very wet pattern may change to a dryer and settled scene for the first half of December.

• Advertisement

A glorious day ... Watched the strips of cloud climbing sideways up Croagh Patrick and its neighbours.. It reminds me of Austrian hiolidays..

Sun dazzling ... a chill in the air but such beauty...

West Mayo offshore

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Galway

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very strong and gusty west to southwest winds during Wednesday afternoon and evening. Gusts of up to 90 to 110km/h, strongest winds in exposed areas. Potential for localised spray and wave overtopping along Atlantic coasts.

Valid: 13:00 Wednesday 23/11/2022 to 19:00 Wednesday 23/11/2022

As wild a night as ever was. (sound effects in full cry!) The wind/gale hits the kitchen so hard I cannot use the phone in there..

And icy water being hurled at high velocity. And a bitter chill. The cats are hugging their fur coats close.

Wild winter night - and this is not in the solid yellow zone

West Mayo offshore

DIABOLICAL ... Only word...

Please God no emergencies at sea as the lifeboat would be seriously challenged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rejoined for winter(Uafásach), the constant auto scrolling to the top of the page drove me nuts so deleted.

Yellow - Wind Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry. Thursday 0800-1400

Well it's official now, autumn 2022 is the wettest autumn on record for Valentia Observatory beating 2000 by 0.4mm to 22nd Nov. Records here go back to 1892.

I think it’s weird for how unsettled it has been we haven’t had one named storm this autumn. Assuming that’s because the weather often came up from the south, little interaction between cold and warm air near us in the Atlantic to produce anything potent. How much rain did Valentia record?

That’s roughly Dublin average annual rainfall.

• Advertisement

Lights flickered a couple of times, heard a few rumbles of thunder.

Wild, wuthering ...cold and wet.. There you are ! VERY rare I have nothing good to say re weather so think on as we say in Lancashire! Just nasty out here.

PS STILL deluging hard... I am safe from flooding but there is what develops into a moat between door and gate... seeing where it is at when it gets light will be interesting... Wellies at the ready..

West Coast offshore

Post edited by Graces7 on

The strong wind changed direction a few minutes ago. Being well out on a limb this is so easy to discern

And the rain drumming sounds so different.. and louder howling

Elemental!

West Mayo offshore

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

Day 64 in a row of rain here in West Mayo, there have been a handful of dry halfdays, but I think every single 24 hour period since Sept 21 has recorded rain here. Majority of the time heavy rain. An extraordinary 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just brutish conditions here in Galway with heavy rain and hail that is ready to smash the windows in. A grim as it gets.

And now loud thunder.

New Moon

Some decent coastal gusts today, Roches Point getting to 120kmh before 3pm, Mace Head, Belmullet and now Sherkin Island getting a share too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

Suicide rates going to go through the roof. Cork city is the same it never stops here just coming in waves of rain. Only the thoughts of emigrating next year are getting me through it, soaked every day jogging and soaked every night walking, its vile. Heading away to north Africa for some sun next week, last time I saw a blue sky with sun was in October in Noord Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Any evidence or links to show that the wet weather is causing suicide rates to go through the roof in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭acequion

Yet you'll find people who talk up the weather in Ireland with the, "Ah shur tis grand, could be worse" attitude.

I have always maintained that the climate here in Kerry is one of the toughest to endure and I'm not that young and have lived in plenty other spots both nationally and internationally. The south west and west of Ireland are every bit as rain sodden and miserable as Frank Mc Court described in his 1996 memoir of growing up in Limerick in 30's and 40's, Angela's Ashes, so it's not just down to climate change. Granted when the weather is good it is nice here, but that's quite a rarity. People with neurological and arthritic complaints, like my elderly parents, seem to really suffer in this all pervasive damp, which is why I've always planned not to spend my senior years here.

Folks may disagree but I find having to live, work and commute in this constant rain really stressful. And forget trying to do something like plan a weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

Totally agree with you. Its a strange Stockholm Syndrome with some Irish folk when it comes to weather. I lived in Nederland before and it was a rarity for there to be even a full days continuous rain unlike our rain which can go on for weeks at a time. The dreariness in Cork is unbelievable, I lived in the southeast for a while and in fairness its much brighter there. Even the so called heatwave in Cork was fairly shite as it was still very overcast here, although August had a few nice warm days.

I went to Kerry twice in about 8 years and my god the wind there both times gave me a headache, Hag's Glen and Inch Strand, never again will I ever get out of the car if I visit again, lol.

I have to go out for a jog now I've been like a caged animal all day and I'll probably spend the jog moaning about the weather.

The real killer with our weather is the fact it never really lets up, a good day here a good day there and the rest is grey overcast, windy, damp, cold and wet.

Heavy showers have merged in to a longer spell of rain here. Some heavy showers across the country this evening, hail and thunder possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Absolutely sick of the rain at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The rain itself does not bother me, but the older I get, the more realise that the air here in the west of Ireland is not good. Went for a walk last night with a mate of mine and despite not raining at the time, you could feel the chilled, dank, saturated air piercing your lungs with every intake of breath and with everywhere dripping but no rain actually falling. If I had the opportunity I'd be out of here like a shot and move to the interior of some big continent where when the skies are blue, they are deep blue and when the skies are black, they are really black. Not like here where every colour in the sky is blanched out due to amount of water in the air.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jaysus the drama queens are out tonight 😅

I always find it curious that Irish people complain so much about the weather but most make no effort to enjoy whatever little bits of weather we do get. Many a weekend morning I've got up early to enjoy the sun and dry knowing rain is due in the afternoon and you would hardly see a soul out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Sick of the rain myself but its been a pretty dry year overall, would have preferred if the rainfall had been more spread out through the year instead of the wash out autumn. Anyway looks like things should become dryer later next week and cooler as we come more under the influence of air from the continent instead of the Atlantic .

Ah come on! The weather in this country, especially the west, is a write off. Talk it up all you want and good weather fans like us "drama queens" 😏 are very much to be found out and about on a good day. As in a decent dry day, not in the 5 minutes of a break before it deluges again.

Much better climates elsewhere to live in, but someone will always get offended when that obvious fact is pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Apart from wanting to be close to family, the only other thing that has stopped me from moving to a place with a warmer climates is the long evenings during late a spring and into summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not disputing that our climate is shite, weather isn't the be all and end all tho, and as others have pointed out we had a very good run of dry weather for most of this year. You don't have to move abroad to find better weather, as a Kerry woman you'd see a nice difference by moving across the country 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've said it before and I'll say it again I could never live in west of Ireland.

It's bad enough the amount of rain we get in Dublin but the West/Southwest can get double that.

No thanks.

My commute to work this morning was dangerous with the torrential rain on motorway.

McBurns I know what you mean, we were in Bushy Park last Saturday morning and I couldn't believe how quite playground was. Now it was freezing cold but no wind so once you were wrapped up it was grand.

In contrast, I walked to shop on Sunday morning and it was so cold with wind it was hard to breathe and even with hat on my ears were still freezing!

I always get out when we can but unfortunately we have had way too many rainy days this autumn.

It's not all that great elsewhere in Ireland either as is evidenced by the many east coasters complaining about this never ending bad spell. And so what if we got a dry spell for a while! Most countries take that for granted.

For some of us weather is massively important for our well being. As in half way decent weather, doesn't have to be gin blue skies and heat all the time, just something more settled than the default muck we get here. I'm only here for my livelihood. Once I retire that's it, I'm out. Life is too short.

Post edited by acequion on

Having lived in Orkney ten years I came to ireland for a bit of sun and not been disappointed. But as someone else said, it IS only the weather... Live with it ! It does not affect me as it does some here. Just get on with life

• Advertisement
Advertisement