Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is not a 100% cut in pay if they go into a different business or go abroad. It can be a 100% cut in pay to take on bad contracts in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

The same issues with regards to construction costs that are in Ireland are global and in Ireland there is still building needed. So what other business can they go into and also Nixers without paying VAT are fastly becoming a thing of the past due to moving to cashless and companies are under more scrutiny. So what other business can a builder jump into during a recession where jobs are being lost?

There are particular issues in Ireland. There is a very different bad debt culture in Ireland to other places. There is always cash work doing domestic small repairs. You don't understand business. It is not a question of trimming prices by 10% or whatever, it is operating in a business where the risks become greater than the potential rewards. Bad debts will increase in a recession and hence the risk of taking on a job. One bad debt could wipe out a years earnings.

Ireland has record savings and full employment. Have you any comparisons to other countries with regards to bad debts I know Germany have been topping the charts in Europe for this. I do understand business its you who doesn't get it. Your trying to paint a picture that a builder would rather go on the dole than drop their level of wages and I have contended that with inflation the whole of the Irish work force would not go to work with the levels of inflation vs real wage rises. What is the risk in lowering your wage to try and compete for work?? These guys have indemnity insurance so if there is a mess on the job also if prices for raw materials rise they will in my experience have it in the contract that this cost will be passed on to the customer. So where exactly is the risk? They also insist on payment before the work is done so the risk of someone not paying them is negated.

In the UK if you don't pay an invoice within 30 days without a good excuse, it is a criminal offence. people pay their bills in England. Builders in ireland are always being stung. It is not a question of dropping their level of wages, it is not getting a wage at all.

• Advertisement

As I pointed out builders usually get a deposit up front and then they always get paid ahead of doing the work I have had 3 jobs done and that's how it has always worked so they always got their wage before the job or the weeks work was done and got paid so far in advanced that they went off doing other jobs and leaving my job on the long finger. This is the system here so there is little if no risk of a builder not getting their wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Clearly, when I refused to join a blind auction I didn't buy those properties.

A blind auction where you don't know if there is anyone else involved is a very handy tool to squeeze every last drop of blood out of you. Hopefully they will one day be made illegal.

That said, not all properties are the subject of a blind auction, so if you are flexible and not tied to a specific area you will find a suitable property. One property is enough for most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

debt issues are a global problem, we re not alone with it, or currently one of the worst, data slightly out of date but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Will the developer's develop. That's the question, some small builders might still get small jobs but if the developers are not developing offices or houses where will the majority of builders get work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is untrue. In the absence of agreed payment terms and invoice becomes payable within 30 days and a statutory demand may be issued in respect if it and interest may be applied. This provides certainty as to when a CIVIL legal claim may be pursued through the courts. It does not amount to a criminal offence - that would require the existence of dishonesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Thank you Claw Hammer for properly explaining it. Some people don't get it.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Comparing any figure to GDP in Ireland can be very misleading, you should be using GNI instead.

The ESRI notes that Ireland’s debt-to-GDP (gross domestic product) ratio, which is typically used in assessments of sovereign debt, stood at a relatively low 59 per cent in 2020, albeit acknowledging “the well-known difficulties with GDP in an Irish context”. When using debt-to-GNI* (modified gross national income, the Central Statistics Office’s bespoke measure), our ratio rises to 105 per cent.

In 2019, Ireland's debt-to-tax receipts ratio was 2.6. In terms of a euro zone comparison, this wasn't as high as Greece, Italy, Portugal or Spain but was – as the ESRI notes – at the higher end of the distribution, suggesting Ireland is one of the more indebted countries in Europe.

But this is why I am questioning it do they pack it in and go on the dole or try and reduce their wages to compete? The idea that they can either leave and go to a different country where the same issues are there that Ireland face with regards to building is farcical if anything Ireland is under supplied and the government are incentivizing building. The other theory is they will go into a different business? I mean we are hitting a recession are builders going to retrain and work in IT or Pharma or something else and then the last option is they will simply go onto the dole - like they dont have bills to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭straight

House prices were way higher in the Celtic tiger and wages were lower.

There is plenty houses in cork city for under 250k. It's not difficult to save 30k between two people over 5 years. It's only 50 or 60 euro per week like.

People seem to have so much money for fashion, image, coffee, restaurants, holidays, the list goes on. There was never so many eateries and coffee shops in the country.

People never had it so good if you ask me but sure you can't open you're mouth in case you might hurt someones feelings. 😂😂😂

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People were taking out 100%+ mortgages in the Tiger and buying multiple properties. Ireland was churning out multiples of what it produces today in terms of new property.

Are you really going to suggest it was more difficult to get on the ladder during the 00s?

It was too easy, unfortunately a mistake that today's buyers are paying for (and getting sneered at for complaining about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

With all due respect, 'getting jobs done' does not equate to getting a house built.

self builds in Ireland generally operate on a stage payment basis with the mortgage company releasing funds as each stage is complete.

a typical arrangement is as follows

1. foundations and subfloors
    2. Main blockwork
    3. Roof Complete
    4. Plastering complete
    5. power on & heating running / 2nd fix joinery
    6. Snagging and handover

each of those stages apart from the last once could be north of 50,000, and you're relying on engineers, solicitors and lenders to all fulfill their obligations in a timely manner to get funds released as agreed, the reality is, all it takes is one person in the chain to make a mistake, go on holidays etc, and the builder can be left carrying the can in the meantime. And by and large, work does not stop, it continues as stuff like plant and scaffolding is on hire and incurring costs, dates have been given to subcontractors, who are hard to get, and them taking on projects elsewhere will only lead to further delays and compounding costs.

Its often the case at the end, where the budget has been blown, and its the builder whos left hanging, the homeowner has moved in, and its a nightmare to collect the final balance as the funds just arent there. You can't keep people out of their houses, as by this point they'l now essentially be paying back a full mortgage as well as rent.

Source? - Myself, been in the game nearly 20 years.

Myself and most of my friends bought in the noughties due to our age and bad luck. Mortgages weren't as freely available as you may be led to believe. Prices were sky high and alot of the houses were built in the wrong locations and were since knocked. Build quality was a joke compared to now.

My story is very similar to alot of my generation. Bought a house at the top of the market out of desperation alot of the time. House value fell to half and got feck all help from anyone. Also interest rates increased making mortgages unaffordable. The smart people had a right laugh at the "fools" that bought because rent was so cheap, and to be fair rent was very cheap and had to rise to some degree but obviously not to today's level. Many people were stuck in apartments and the like which were supposed to be a starter home but they've ended up living there with their whole family. I had to work my ass off and save like hell to get out of my mess. I built another house which cost me 300k in 2014. With the new regs and inflation you wouldn't build it for 600k today. I built it out of savings. My old negative equity house is rented out for 1100 euro per month and is still in negative equity with interest rates rising again. It's worth at least double on the open market but I wouldn't charge that much even if I was allowed. So I got screwed on the way down and I'm not allowed to benefit on the way up.

Alot of the problem now is that the government said everybody needs to build a top of the range house. But not everyone can afford a top of the range house.

We're all only trying to get a house and raise our families and that's the story all over the world. No need for half of this one generation vs another BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

On my first week in college in 2006, I was offered a 15k loan by bank who cold-called me. I had little savings, feck all employment history and no demonstrable ability to repay a loan. Naturally, I didn't the money, and I thank my past-self for knowing not to accept the devil's shilling, but that's the kind of thing that was happening in Celtic Tiger Ireland.

Simply put, it was beyond easy to buy property back then.

What property were you going to buy with 15k? It's more likely that if you foolishly accepted it you wouldn't have been able to buy any property and if you did you wouldn't be able to afford the repayments on the mortgage plus the short term loan you just took out. Then you would have ended up in negative equity and lost everything plus some more. I know people still paying back for that kind of stuff.

• Advertisement

The point I was making is that credit was incredibly available back then. I didn't take it because I had, and still do to a point, an aversion to debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Propertys going Sale Agreed that are not even turnkey in the more established City areas in Galway City for sure; see signs going up and 3/4 week later Sale Agreed on them. Speaking earlier this week with local estate agent he said not as many bidding wars that were common here in 2021 but that demand in the City for 3/4 bed houses was still strong.

You said it was easy to get a mortgage because you were offered a 15k short term loan. I have more than that as a credit limit on my credit card now. It doesn't mean mortgages are freely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

What's going on with this one?

Sale agreed and ad last updated in early August, yet ad appears with a 5k price decrease in today's price changes.

I am talking about the attitude to debt, not the quantumj of debt. This post is irrelevant.

It is more than obvious that you don't see it. You had 3 building jobs done, foolishly paid all the money in advance of completion .

Now you claim to be an expert on the building trade and to have a deep knowledge of builders psychology and thinking processes.

No, I gave an anecdotal story on the availability of credit in 2006. I didn't mention anything about today.

There is a separate crimunal offence of not paying an invoice as well. The civil right to interest derives from European law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Poster clearly made a point about the situation in 2006. They are correct. I know someone who left college with multiple of 5-figure debt purely because the bank kept throwing money at them that they didn't need. Their family bailed them out but in reality the debt should have been written off for predatory lending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Interesting. What is the required mens rea for just not being able to pay the debt when it falls due?

HArdly a strict liability criminal offence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement