Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Your right to say happy Christmas is not being eroded just because other people choose to say something else. It hasn’t changed a single iota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Laughing at the "Season's Greetings" thing. That's exactly what it used to say on the big box of Lemon's sweets we got every year, over 40 years ago. Not "Happy Christmas", oh noes!

It'd be like getting one's undies in a twist because people say "Santa" instead of "St. Nicholas".

We all know why Christmas is when it is - the winter solstice which has been celebrated on this island for thousands of years before any Jewish carpenters were heard of round these parts.

It doesn't matter what you do or do not believe, celebrate (or don't) in the way you want, accept that others have the same right too.

Scrap the cap!

Ukraine does Christmas big time, so the kids will be “allowed” to slip in the C word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anybody know the theme for this year’s Toy Show?

I’ll take a guess at ‘Squid Game’.

Ryan and the Billy Barry Kids playing the contestants.

:)

I’m not saying you’re denying me the right- quite the opposite in fact so thank you- but I am seeing a reluctance in parts of society to say a simple “Happy Christmas” and being forced to opt instead for Happy Holidays- mostly in the corporate sector but it’s a growing trend.

I think inclusion in the main is a great thing but I don’t believe in eroding specific cultural ways of speaking if they don’t harm anyone- saying Happy Christmas is expressing my right to celebrate this particular occasion in a way that’s consistent with my culture- I don’t want to see that eroded but I can very much see in the future, that it may well become a frowned upon expression.

• Advertisement

Anyway I’ve said my peace based on the fact that I was asked -On a much lighter note, here’s the origins of the Toy Show

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/gay-said-no-we-are-not-doing-a-toy-slot-meet-the-woman-behind-late-late-toy-shows-creation-41066973.html

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The same piece goes to certain pains to praise Tubridy. "He has jumped in Feet First" apparently.

:\

Ah look it is what it is- some of us dinosaurs here just hark back to the hey-day of the toy show and TLLS in general - change is inevitable along with death and taxes- I don’t mind change but I don’t like the current direction of the toy show either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In part it was always product placement too, "brought to you by Smyth's Toys and Ken Black", RTE has never resolved the tension between being a public broadcaster and also being dependent on commercial advertisers. Interestingly, the RTE union once protested against the Calor Housewife of the Year, not because of sexism but because it only existed to sell gas cookers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan said the reaction to his visit was "heartening and magical". He said: "I’m just looking through the window in the class and jaws dropped, eyeballs were out on stalks, mouths were grabbed, and then I went."

He obviously believes his own hype about being the Toyman. He thinks that he's some kind of hero to children. It's utterly vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

They were probably thinking "Oh f*ck, that miserable b***ard from the TV's here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jesus Christ. What is wrong with this man? An ego the size of Jupiter.

"I’m just looking through the window

In the class and jaws dropped

eyeballs were out on stalks

mouths were grabbed

and then I went...

Dry your eyes, mate

I know it's hard to take but her mind has been made up

There's plenty more fish in the sea

Good we’re talking a look back at the history of this show and indeed other shows @RTE - helps people not familiar get a sense of where some peoples perspectives are coming from - doesn’t matter if they don’t agree - ultimately as you indirectly point out, the advertisers will ultimately dictate over any perceived public service requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Noel Kelly and his cronies are working in overdrive promoting the "Toyman" recently.....

I believe RTE are due to release the salaries of their top earners soon....

Dead cat strategy.....look over here Tubridy is hugging sick children, kissing babies....no one cares he is stealing a living of 500k a year!!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There’s always been this kind of myth that Ryan’s great with kids and great at the toy show. It’s bull. His toy shows are every bit as gick as any late late. I find he that he believes it so much and then overcooks and forces it too much..

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Maybe cock o the walk will be in suitable costume tomorrow.

From that Indo article:

Another big plus for RTÉ is that the Toy Show is controversy free

Clearly not a boards user then 😊

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ugh, Wizard of Oz theme. That was prehistoric when I was a child.

Who is this for? Grandparents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It was watchable even up until a few years ago.

But then they moved completely away from toys into this...musical, viral chasing, woke mode.

It's all scripted. RTE know the clips that will go viral on social media already. Ryan knows he will make a child cry by telling them they're so brave for dealing with cancer etc. All seems a bit forced nowadays.

Tubridy himself even chases the memes. Lads on social media will have their photoshop ready so they can make them to get the likes on twitter

The lack of toys is sad. "oh people are poor, we don't want to put pressure on families"....then don't watch the damn program! It's not like tv adverts hide toys. It's not like the kids will not be chatting with their friends at school about toys.

The program tonight will be just full of teddy bears, not toys.

And I thought the whole point of having it so far before christmas was for families to get gift ideas from the toy show and then have time to buy them. So if they're not buying toys from the show then why not have it a week before christmas? It's 25th November ffs.

Anyways, the ratings will probably be good as normal. People watch based on it's reputation, not it's quality and the Irish twitter huns will be all over it for likes and the customary "Trying to explain to foreigners the concept of the toy show and why it's so popular is......" (aka us Irish are so wacky and crazy) nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

This fear of social media is baffling. It's 2022, the vast majority of the population use it, of course it will be a focus for the Late Late producers. Decrying it such a "boomer" moment. Time has moved on from the calls from line 3 or the postcards to P.O. Box 2222.

I also see that there's been more speculation of the Late Late going in a "woke" direction and, yet, examples of same is painfully absent. The closest examples I can think of were the apoplectic reactions to mixed-race children on the Toy Show Thread last year, and some sort of imagined shunning of traditional Christmas themes in a show about blowing money on tat for kids. I certainly don't remember any of the Wise Men wearing a colourful jumper or spraying everyone with a water gun in any nativity scene I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

When they added the little girl back in 2020 looking to give the Pfizer vaccine to the stuffed toy that was it for us turned off and we haven’t watched it since, pity it’s not about the toys anymore just different interest groups.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I can imagine Noel Kelly now....psyching Tubridy up...

this is it Ryan...this is it...this is the 1 day in the year you need the put a shift in...go for it...dont stop.....

Then i can get you 4- 5 months off with your 500k....

Break a leg Tubs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I understand how times are hard and families have different circumstances and maybe she's on about the ad breaks but I don't think it's three hours of the most expensive toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just heard there that the theme is going to be based on ‘The Wizard of Oz’. Excellent choice, a true timeless classic. Reckon my kids will love it, the older ones have seen the film and I’d say the younger ones will want to after this.

Gearing up to be a magical night. Will pick up a few “goodies” later on and my partner will sorting out the hot chocolate. I, myself, might enjoy something a little stronger. A dash of Baileys in one should do the trick.

Next big “event” will be putting the tree up in December but I’m looking forward to the magic of tonight, the Toy Show, and being in the capable hands of the Toy Man, himself, Ryan Tubridy. It’s going to be great!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seriously, is there some issue now with showing expensive toys and the “cost a living crisis?” I can’t keep up with this “who are we offending” gick in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think when Ryan started The Late Late Toy Show. He was never into experience toys.

First it was the recession, then there was lots of talk about the homeless crisis and now it's the cost of living crisis.

• Advertisement

Yep. And there have been kids singing and dancing on TLLTS since the late 70s if not before. Such a weird thing to be complaining about.

Scrap the cap!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement