Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

As much as I like the idea and would probably like to order a shell with text "from pcardin to ruSSian pigs", it would be not so funny if someone ordered a shell with a text "From Ireland with love", or something along these lines, and ruSSian propoganda along with infiltrated dumbwits here on boards would start to make out an international scandal, saying Ireland is now participating in the war. I hope Ukrainians are doing some sort of screening on what is going on the shell, canon, or whatelse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm not saying that you are wrong in your thinking Wibbs (or that I'm right either) but the surprises that this war has produced are unreal, to say the least. Like the majority, I'd be rooting for a Ukrainian win, with Ruzzians pushed back into Ruzzia, and finished militarily at least for a generation (two would be better....) but I'm a realist as well and understand it may well not work out like that either. The next 3 / 4 months will tell a lot either way, a lot will depend on Zelenski of course, but at this stage, I'm pretty sure that Putin is coming under increasing pressure on the home front, and not only from the Oligarch's. In one sense, it.s becoming a race against time for both sides.

Slava Ukraini

I have a coleague at work whos says exact the same thing. Hes also German. What is with them, denial on self-wrong doings in the past?

Post edited by pcardin on

It was used to intercept a russian missile,that makes sense

And from Russian sources,yes i believe in santa clause as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

50 Ukrainian servicemen were released in a prisoner swap

straight back to the front lines no doubt

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They try to supress their kantishness after their last episode but that just makes it comes out in weird ways. An unpleasant bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd be happy to have from Orc smasher from Gatling@boards.ie in my message ,but I get the feeling I would trigger absolute bedlam from a few on here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it'd have to be "Davy Keogh says hello"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Russia tells its military that there must be 5 million of them to win – the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

KATERYNA TYSHCHENKOTHURSDAY, 24 NOVEMBER 2022, 19:04

...The document also notes that there has not been such a war for more than 80 years, and in order for Russia to achieve victory, the number of its army must be about 5 million servicemen."

Details: Gromov noted that according to some officers of the RF Armed Forces, this may mean another wave of mobilization and the introduction of martial law in the country in the near future. https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/11/24/7377855/

Given the fun they had rounding up 300k, their poor quality, near complete inability to properly equip or train them, several million men fleeing the country; they might as well quit while they are only this much behind.

Seems the Wagner group don't like the idea of eu officials calling them terrorists so they sent a message to Strasbourg.

Doesn't need much explaining

• Advertisement

Strasbourg should forward this to Hague and pass to their modern day equivalent of hangman. Time when these Wagner clowns will be either dead or before the judge is close. Hangman can use this tool to reduce the volume of these stupid fascist heads of Wagner.

Send it to Ukraine, they might be able to return it via a drone from 200m.

Because this kind message tends to work with the kind of people they are used to intimidating, they mistakenly think that it will work everywhere and with everyone. They are grossly mistaking though, instead it will have the opposite effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

By springtime Putin will know what we all know today. He is lost and done for. Anyway we have Lucky Lunka from Belarus being wheeled out to demand talks we can be sure Putin is under the Kosh. I see no reason at all for Ukraine or Zelensky to feel under pressure to talk to Russia until Putin pulls out all his henchmen [they can't be called an army anymore] from all of Ukraine.

At that, Zelenskyy needs to make sure the armed forces of Ukraine have a missile system in place to guarantee Russia will never again go anywhere near it. 100 cruise missiles are all Ukraine needs to keep the Russian crazies away from her.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Why the pogram in Russia atm against gay people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was talking to an ex-Irish army guy this week, quite high up in his time, and he says the standard of officers in the Russian army seems terrible. He was one of those who bought into the idea in February that they might be a professional fighting force, but the poor calibre of the army is astonishing to him - it was all smoke and mirrors.

What do mean 'at the moment?', it's been fairly normal forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

Thats the impression most professional soldiers i know have as well.

Its all propaganda,corruption and deception

Nothing have changed since Stalin,and Russias modernization of its military is decades behind the west.

And it will take Russia years to even get close to anything west have if they started tomorrow.

With a GDP the size of Italy you cant expect much from Russia anyway,and not now with Russias economy going back to the 90s again.

Nuclear blackmail seems like the only option Russia have left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It would depend how they did it. Obviously if they just thunder ran their units down to the coast tomorrow they'd be placing themselves in between the jaws of two fronts, which would be a very bad idea. But they don't need to do this all in one go.

If you look at the map of the trainlines across the southern held Russian landbridge in Ukraine the key point is Tokmak, only half way to the coast. Along with the land bridge from north Crimea you only have two train lines capable of transporting heavy equipment and reinforcements to the russian troops on the west of dnipro : Takmok and Crimea landbridge. Both of which are currently within HIMARS range since Kherson was retaken. And since the Kersch bridge is currently still damaged it's dubious how much Crimea can even still supply to the southern front.

So the Ukrainians stick to their modus operandi. Hammer these supply lines for the Russians on the western bank then prod at them with artillery and methodical ground assaults until it simply becomes untenable to hold the ground. The logistically exhausted Russians to the east of Tokmak retreat to northern Crimea(currently being fortified by the Russians since they forsee this outcome themselves IMO).

The second that happens Crimea is done. Once standard HIMARS rockets can reach all Crimea, Ukraine can just pull the same stunt again. Hit supplys/command/rescource storage, rinse, repeat. If Crimea falls then Putin goes with it. There's no way he survives political backlash from that.

I could be way off the mark and there's many variables that could turn this possible reality into a dream. But honestly I can't help but feel that forcing the russians to tactically reposition themselves out of Crimea is easier than forcing the Russians out of Donbas and eastern Ukraine where they can be supplied more easily from the mainland.

• Advertisement

Putin has to have an "enemy", be that in the physical, psychological or cultural sense. There has to be something to "protect" Russians from. If there is none available, one has to be manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Another one of Putin's puppies.

https://gordonhahn.com/2022/11/22/the-russian-winter-offensive/

Author – Gordon M. Hahn, Ph.D., is a Senior Researcher at the Center for Terrorism and Intelligence Studies (CETIS), Akribis Group, San Jose, California

He tells a different story than the rte version. Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The main difference I see is Russia has adapted and I suspect the new general muppet is the one doing the adapting. They've realised(finally) that taking the country is impossible for them beyond gobshítes on their equivalent of Fox news and IMHO they're consolidating what they have taken. That's a much easier task for them. Consider their airforce. In the first days into weeks we were seeing lots of pics and video of destroyed Russian jets. That tapered off quickly. They know the airspace is too risky over Ukrainian held territory. Today what flights are going on are high medium altitude sorties along the coast out of effective range of Ukrainian air defence, but within Russian range of air to ground attacks. Not very far in but enough. Others are air launching cruise missiles that are hitting as far as Kyiv.

Why waste assets on such targets when they could be fired at military targets closer to the front? It's "cheaper" to attack infrastructure and people and they hope it'll force the Ukrainians(& NATO) to talks sooner. It also hurts supply lines for the military of course. The Ukrainian people under barrage will resist as people always have. but logistics can cause strategic problems. Kherson was a dead loss so they legged it again knowing they couldn't hold it and went across the big river which is a much more defensible barrier. That looks planned and over weeks(and since General Potatoheadski got in), Kharkiv was a rout and wasn't planned(there are a lot fewer pics of Russian kit being found in Kherson compared to Kharkiv). Their motley gang of pressganged conscripts would be useless against Ukrainian regulars, but as bulletstoppers manning defensive lines they're a big headache and time sink.

Oh sure, if they can keep up the hammering long enough. But even if they flatten the place with HIMARS you still have to physically go in and take the land back and look how long the fighting in Bakhmut is going on. Because the Russians are hellbent on taking it. Look how long it took the concentrated effort of the Russians to take Mariupol. Months and the reduced it to rubble. Ukraine would in essence be doing that in reverse. Now the Russians could do another run away run away! Kharkiv style and leave it open but IMHO that's pretty much what would have to happen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hence the oh look we suffered more than anyone else during WW2 , Nato has surrounded us and are planning to invade and force us all to enjoy democracy, freedom,and capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

When you can't blame 'immigants' (because no one wants to go there) you need to target minority groups to deflect blame for bad decisions.

Yes, that was obvious once he got started, especially when you consider how many previous (and now extinct) holders of that post there were. He continued doing what he had been infamously doing in Syria, IE; bombing from a distance. Total destruction, primarily hospitals and infrastructure. And it worked too, Deraa was in a bad way when he arrived, it had taken the brunt of the war, but what was still standing, he finished by leveling it. And that's his MO. Make the place uninhabitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I believe the russian officer class is kind of like the Klingons you kill your superior keep the role no matter how inept you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

What can also happen is that Russia will run out of war machines. Recently they were losing 100 tanks per week. How long can they endure this level of attrition? That depends on how much stuff the west supplies. Everything depends on western supplies.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

I had a bit of a closer look at the handle, and what I thought was the manufacturers logo turns out to be blood stains, perfectly imprinted on the wood. So finger prints for sure, and would it be possible to get a DNA sample and use it to positively identity the user /owner? And send him an appropriate "Thank You" note??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement