Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

As far as I understand, it’s not a regular renting/landlord situation, thus, no responsibility for bins, maintenance, or any bills. The Ukrainians can sort it out, or the government will do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

If someone wanted to avail of the rent a room scheme they could get €800 a month or more tax free depending on location (up to €14k a year tax free)They could also pick and choose who they rented to.They could also expect to share bills.

I feel most of the people who are doing this for altruistic reasons have been well taken up.

This is desperation stuff.

How would it affect your house insurance.

I tried to get an answer from my house insurance provider and they hmmed and hawed and eventually said if it was just one Ukranian the premium wouldnt be affected.

Also does the no eviction legislation apply if after a few weeks you want the person out. I cant get clarification on that either.

Many of the TDS have holiday homes and they need to show leadership now by offering their unused holiday gaff, funny I havent heard of any TDS giving up their holiday homes but they expect the general public to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It is tax free though, so you can double. Not an offer I would take myself as I wouldn't trust the government to manage it effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

I know it's tax free, that's why I referenced the rent a room scheme as comparison with 1 person who you could vet and ask to leave if they turned out poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

No idea. As I don’t own a spare gaff, it’s not on my radar as a dilemma. Fair dues to you if you are considering it.

Completely agree that the politicians here should lead by example! Hmmm why am I feeling so sceptical on that ………

I don't know if you can double up?

I have two double spare rooms,both ensuite,if I put a Ukrainian couple in each would I be getting €3200 a month tax free? I really don't think so but am open to correction,I think it would be €800 total.

If I rented the rooms to an Irish couple I'd pay about 50% tax after the €14k rent a room relief (as long as it was still my principle residence)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They aren’t even looking for rooms, stand alone houses for €800 per month. This is an empty gesture to make themselves look like they are trying to help. Absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

So you can’t condone passports being held but destroying them is ok?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

road_high threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Here’s a rough synopsis of how we got to where we are today. It’s not in perfect chronological order as I couldn’t be arsed.

GOVT: Okay everyone, we’re going to open up our boarders a bit and let some people into the country from non-EU countries right?

Yeah that’s fine, go for it.

Listen everyone we’re going to bring in even more non-EU people and also because of EU rules we’re going to have lots from of a minority from Eastern Europe that will do nothing but beg and be a complete drain on the state and contribute nothing.

Jaysus, that’s not great really. Feckin EU wha.

Right people, we’re going to give you a vote on the right to citizenship by birth (jus soli)

Yeah we’re knocking that scam right on the head right now. 

The next move now is, because we’re fairly incompetent and the HSE is a complete shambles, we need lots of staff from non-EU countries, India etc.

Of course, bring them over you muppets.

Listen up people, that bastard Putin has only gone and invaded Ukraine so we’re going to invite lots of refugees over and we’ll give them the highest welfare payments of any country with full board and a medical card.

Christ yeah, this is terrible. Of course we should take in refugees it’s an awful situation – not sure about the welfare rates though.

Right guys, we’re being absolutely hammered with the amount of refugees arriving. It seems they’re coming from other safe countries in Europe too, but that has nothing to do with the welfare rates we offered.

It really looks like you people in the government haven’t a fecking clue what you’re doing and we’re getting a bit pissed off with it.

Oh, and we forgot to mention, that there’s a shed load of asylum seekers arriving here every day with no passports and we’ll be putting them up for years in hotels, but it’s okay because our justice minister is thinking about looking at the situation soon...well, maybe.

We’re done here. You are now taking the ******* piss.

RTE: OMG, far right people everywhere - Einsatzgruppen squads roaming every county  

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d give you a B for creative writing anyway 😁

An alternative narrative goes something like this:

1920 - 1930: After a civil war, Sinn Fein splits up and FF, FG are formed, country hasn’t a pot to piss in, Government outsources the provision public services such as education and healthcare to the religious orders.

1930 - 1950: The country still hasn’t a pot to piss in, and the economy is shifting from being predominately agricultural to industrial harnessing our natural resources to generate electricity to power the next generation.

1950 - 1980: Characterised by strikes and protests in agriculture, industry and even women are getting in on the act to protest about their lot in life of domestic servitude, most people still haven’t a pot to piss in, country is riddled with disease and poverty.

1980 - 1990 - At the beginning of the decade, Charlie in his ‘State of the Nation’ address, attempts to spread a collective guilt by suggesting ‘we’ve been living well beyond our means’. More strikes, and joining the EEC in ‘73 which seemed like a good idea at the time is starting to pay off - people are emigrating, farmers are being paid not to produce goods, factories are humming and people are beginning to discover the joys of living the American dream on credit - now not only has everyone a pot to piss in, indoors, they have the fluffy bath mat set to go with the armitage shanks. Taste becomes an afterthought, where once poverty was portrayed as a virtue, it’s been replaced by gaudiness and excess.

1990 - 2000: I don’t remember much, all I know is it was one hell of a party.

2000 - 2010: We got the bill for the party, and Government laid the blame on uninvited guests. We figured we’re not paying for it, and the uninvited guests who had made the party possible went home and took their drugs with them. The country was riddled with STIs after the party so in their infinite wisdom, Government decided that it would be a good idea to scrap the health boards in an attempt to overhaul the healthcare system.

2010 - 2020: Underground parties and raves were a thing, as some people continued to party while all around them the place was going to shìt. Uninvited guests were allowed back in as long as they kept their head down and didn’t cause any trouble for the locals - they were holed up in detention centres like Mosney. Uninvited guests wrote home saying everything was going great. Their parents could boast to others of their children’s success in Ireland.

2020 - present: The older generation are pooped out from partying and beginning to sober up when they see the cost of education, healthcare and pensions rising, beginning to realise that they should have read the fine print which said there were limitations on their credit and their assets would be at risk if they couldn’t keep up the payments. They start pointing fingers looking for other people to take responsibility for the mess they caused, and not even delivering on referenda such as marriage equality and the repeal of the 8th amendment can save the populist political parties now. Even the uninvited guests who kept their heads down are getting fingered, and not in a good way.

Government in their infinite wisdom yet again, have decided that actually y’know what? We’re going to partition the healthcare system again, that should fix it, only this time we won’t call them Health Boards, they’ll be called ‘Regional Health Areas’, sounds much fancier, same thing, sounds different -

https://www.newstalk.com/news/hse-revert-back-regional-health-boards-883952

Education? ‘This is fine’, and anyone who disagrees can pay for it themselves privately. It’s becoming a more popular option anyway in spite of recent media headlines among parents who don’t want their children mixing with the riff-raff and uninvited guests -

https://extra.ie/2022/10/31/news/private-schools-huge-waiting-lists

The last line in that article is every reason why both Sinn Fein and Labour will struggle to gain enough support to be able to form a coalition Government between them -

Sinn Féin and Labour have vowed to cut State funding for private schools if they are elected

Housing and accommodation? ‘This is fine’, and anyone who disagrees will be reminded in no uncertain terms that while they can choose their family, they can’t choose their neighbours. People who live in housing they can afford, don’t want people who can’t even afford affordable housing living anywhere near them, attending their schools, using their local amenities; they’re regarded as uninvited guests, irrespective of where they’re from originally; another county, another country, doesn’t matter.

Employment? ‘This is fine’.

”I’m never going to be able to afford to start a family anyway and what with the cost of childcare I’d have to choose between employment and raising the little wallet squeezers. Slim pickings on Tinder… anyway I get a lot of likes on Twitter for my ‘childfree by choice’, ‘single by choice’ principles.”

Government can do fcukall about the position in which it finds itself, it’s no longer calling the shots, all they can do is pray for a miracle to come from somewhere, like anyone else who is completely hopeless and helpless. People in those circumstances are very receptive to all sorts of snakeoil salesmen offering them Vaseline in their time of need. It won’t be until decades later they realise that in their naïveté they’d actually been taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bizarre that was the takeaway you got from my post.

Maybe read it again.

It really isn't that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So a truck driver (and haulage firm) who is found to be driving a truck that some "asylum seekers" climbed on board unbeknownst to him can be fined, but an airline can dump hundreds if not thousands of people in Ireland without any identification who then claim asylum and they don't have to do anything about it.

Good post, but unfortunately you prompted a poster to post one of his epistles in response.

The other morning on Pat Kenny interviewee talked about making the system better to cope with more people, get people through faster, get councils to get people on housing lists and housed to free up reception centre.

Last night TV3, or whatever they are called these days, had debate on matter of refugees/asylum seekers/chancers with not one naysayer on the panel.

Not one comment how we afford this apart from "we are a prosperous country" syhtology.

Ordinary people are going to have to fight this themselves as the mainstream politicians and the media are happily going to sink this country.

I am not allowed discuss …

It all seems to be about speeding up the system so we can get people housed. Not speeding up the system so we can send people back if they don’t have a valid asylum claim

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So a truck driver (and haulage firm) who is found to be driving a truck that some "asylum seekers" climbed on board unbeknownst to him can be fined, but an airline can dump hundreds if not thousands of people in Ireland without any identification who then claim asylum and they don't have to do anything about it.

Weird comparison.

You can't get on a flight without identification and travel documents, potentially massive fines for the airline if it happens.

The government is looking for 20,000 holiday homes to house Ukranians, according to the Irish Times this morning, paying 800e per month,

I think this a very unrealistic figure, I wonder how this number was arrived at?. it's almost as if they are setting themselves up for failure. I don't have a holiday home myself, but would think if they get 2000 they will be doing well

The Government is targeting 20,000 holiday homes under the latest drive to find accommodation for Ukraine war refugees amid concern that local authorities were not rising to the challenge under the previous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You can hardly claim there is some cosy media consensus around this issue when even Sinn Fein and PBP say they have no issue with Ireland taking in Ukrainian refugees.

It's literally only the Irish far right who are kicking off about this and they are hugely overrepresented on social media and these forums - relatively tiny numbers but making a large amount of noise. Current opinion polls show support for the Irish Freedom Party or Patriot Party or whatever they call themselves is miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The whole approach has objectively been a disaster, even some of the pros on here have admitted that, yet to you normal people see no issue with any of it, only the "far right" do? You're essentially surrending sense to the "far right" and that won't go well for you.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

There are definitely a lot of problems with with taking in Ukrainian refugees and accommodation in the country is clearly very overstretched.

But to be talking about a cosy consensus of "mainstream politicians and the media" when even Sinn Fein, PBP and others say they have no issue with taking refugees suggests it is really only a thing with right wing parties and voters (of whom there doesn't appear to many).

• Advertisement

Trying to equate the fears and worries and incredulity at what's going on with the loonbag far right parties will not make you look clever.

Amongst my circle of normal working class/middle class friends/family,neighbours,team mates etc the thinking has radically turned.Nobody I know would support any of the parties you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just because people dont vote for looney parties like National Party of Freedom party does not mean people agree with the current influx of refugees

That is one of the most disingenuous strawmans going 🤣

I suppose there was no support for repeal the 8th at the time because the dail majority were initially against it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

This is it, in March the vast majority of people were in favour of helping. People thought it was for a few months tops. It's now dawning on people that the majority of Ukrainians here are going nowhere.

Was in a small rural town recently and they are hoping the new owners get the only hotel back for tourists in time for Easter. I hadn't the heart to tell them it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

11,300 homeless people in the country last month

Is it a burning issue for the population? Majority are in in favour of the intake of Ukrainian refugees - very few directly affected by the specific accommodation issues this throws up.

How has the Ukrainian refugee issue impacted on you personally? What changes in your life have occurred because of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Housing crisis is a burning issue for the population - as is school teacher shortages and waiting times for hospital, gps etc.

All of these issues are exacerbated by taking in more people, be they Ukrainian or other asylum seekers. Not to mention the existing homeless crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

As you increase the population you also need a correlating increase in services and infrastructure.

look at the wait lists in the healthcare system. Many people are reporting that it’s taking longer to get an appointment with a GP. Some people can’t get a GP in their area.

It’s not the refugee’s fault our government lacks the ability to plan and act accordingly. For years we have heard politicians talk about increasing the population by 2030 etc. And yet they made no consideration of where anyone was going to live and how they would have access to healthcare and education. They weren’t expecting these numbers in one year but what plans have they made for the projected population increases??

You can’t blame people escaping war but the tone has shifted recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

...unfortunately you prompted a poster to post one of his epistles in response.

Have him on ignore - so didn't see it

The other morning on Pat Kenny interviewee...

I heard that. ' Catherine Day ' - she's wetter than the north Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its running very smoothly . I know four people who have Ukrainians in their home or in a vacant home . The money arrives beginning of the month regularly

It wa easy to apply for online on mygov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It does sound like a good deal if someone has a house in a part of the country that is hard to rent out. I know of a few houses empty for years. Is it easy to back out though and get the house back when you want it? Just wondering is there any small print stuff that could catch people out.

Advertisement