Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just to say that doesn't tally with the Provisional Kerry fixtures which has Kerry playing Mayo in the 3rd game.

There were fake fixtures leaked last year and put up on Wikipedia. People had accommodation booked for wrong weekends based off those fixtures.

Not saying yours are incorrect and that the Kerry ones are correct but just warning people to be cautious. The Kerry ones are due to be printed in the Local papers tonight I believe.

Edit: It seems like the Kerry and Monaghan games will be swapped on your list according to Twitter.

Sat 28 Jan Galway H

4/5 Feb  Armagh A

18/19 Feb Kerry H

24/25 Feb Don / Ros A

3/4 Mar Tyrone H

17/18 Mar Don / Ros A

25/26 Mar Monaghan H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Donegal is the one I’m waiting for confirmation of

Would rather it’s not Paddys weekend as hotels will prob be crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think Hotels are going to be crazy regardless!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yes it appears Kerry will be the 3rd fixture and finish up with Monaghan.

Villa rose booked !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you can find one taking guests!

Can't wait for the league to start now, it's unusual and exciting to have a different management team in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Great couple of mins for Westport, I was just thinking they were under a good bit of pressure before that when 25 had a possible goal chance got Moycullen.

Conneely doing well for moycullen

Moycullen doing very well, hard to see Westport winning here

They needed that goal, hard to see a way back

Better from Westport in this half, had a few half goal chances without taking them. Moycullen goal there surely ends it

• Advertisement

As bad of beating as i recall for a Mayo senior champions in MacHale Park.

Moycullen too much pace and physicality and game as a contest was basically over at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I thought Niall Walsh was excellent today, definitely worth a county call up. I think he's a Cavan man but they should be looking at him. Definitely county standard. Considering cooke was missing and a few more it's a poor refection on mayo club football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Thought they said on Midwest that his father was from Belmullet and played for Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

No intrest in anyone helping out the Mayo lgfa with clubs contacted again today looking for nominations for a number of Executive positions including chair and secretary before their agm in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So is Oisin gone to Geelong then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I see Aiden Henry is at it again, he's some plague, big article about Keegan retiring

I heard an interview with Keegan two weeks ago and I didn’t like the vibes

That pushes us way out of contention now being realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Wouldn't be the first time he was wide of the mark. Pray to god he's wrong about Mullin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Unfortunately I believe Aiden Henry has got this one correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

What a rag the Connaught is.

Just rehash WhatsApp rumours,half the time true,have the time not but hey who cares about journalistic standards?

I believe its true about Oisin as a reputable source (the Examiner) had it last week.

It could well be true about Leeroy too but if it is he should be afforded the opportunity to announce it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Henry and the Connaught are so disliked in the camp at this stage you'd nearly expect the boys to do u turns just to show them up 😂

Same. Read an interview with him last week where he sounded very conflicted between the commitment it takes to play intercounty football and being there and present with his children. Understandable tbh. Life and perspective totally shift once kids are in the picture. You feel so guilty about missing out on things with them, it can eat away at you. So it doesn't surprise me that he might be ready to call it a day.

Lee Keegan retiring would be an odd one. Regular starter, no injuries issues and has a few years left in him. unless he doesn't like what he sees with the new Management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yeah...he's done a couple of interviews on Off the Ball in recent weeks and was very vague and non committal when the topic of next season came up.

Family definitely seemed to be the main driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can't see the Oisín story being true especially after year his family have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

What a guy Keegan... Best guy ever to wear the jersey both on and off the field. I feel it is a bigger blow than Mullen tbh. What ever he decides, he has been absolutely outstanding and I have enjoyed every minute of those trademark runs, scores and down the throat of all the opposition big players over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Im sure Keegan spoke after Derry v Galway on tv, and basically committed to being back without saying so. He seemed nailed on, hard to see a u turn but good luck to him if so. Hes been amazing, version 1 marauding wing back, and v2 inspirational corner back. 2018ish he looked unfit, off the pace, thought he was done then. To come back to the standard he did was unreal.

There was speculation previously that players wanted nothing to do with McHale, but Keegan would be the last to down tools over dislike of a coach so doubt its that

Keegan has always said in recent years that his decision was always family-dependent. If he spoke more with family since the summer and felt it wasn't worth it, he could easily have changed his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Yes, Keegan said on TV that he more than likely to stay on, but recent interviews have been much less certain of that, and sounded like he more likely not to return to the panel.

A true great, and with two young kids and having played for as long as he has, it would be entirely understandable.

Re Mullin, maybe the intention was always to go to Oz this year.

Or maybe he feels he needs to get away from it all after the year he's had. Would be a double whammy, but best of luck to both of them if that's what they decide.

Tbh Mullin hasn't really imposed himself on games for Mayo yet for whatever reason. Maybe expectation was too high.

On RTE a few moments ago the Mayo PRO has said that he expects Keegan,Mullin to play for Mayo next year so more BS from that Con Telegraph?

Mullin hasn't been played in a position that would allow him to show what he's really capable of imo. I'd play him midfield and see how he gets on. He's not a natural defender. Last year was brutal for him for injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Agreed, he shouldnt be played in full back! I woukd say the same about keegan too!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's some comment about Oisin Mullin. He joined the senior set-up in 2020. Was young player of the year for the WHOLE country for 2020 and 2021. Won an All-Star in 2020, poutting him the best in the country at senior level in hi position.

And you're saying he hasn't really imposed himself on games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

No, I dont think he has - not with any consistency, even within games.

Maybe it's down to injuries, or uncomfortable in the position he was played, but I don't think he has been the dominant player many hoped/expected he would be.

Obviously it's still very early in his intercounty career (or maybe it's already over).

• Advertisement

This is so true about Keegan. He will never down tools over any coach. He doesn't need to as he has full belief in everything he does. He never looks for excuses and has said many times that we were not good enough to win in finals lacking that few percent. All the time we stuck him on the key players against teams and he does this to the absolute limit...brilliant, unselfish play, a unassuming leader.He must be an absolute pleasure to manage for any manager or should I say he can manage himself.

As much as we don’t want to hear it this is the truth.

It is most likely as he has been played out of position however …….

It's definitely due to being played out of position imo.

I think we were putting him in problem areas for the team. Cant blame him for wanting to go and taste life over in OZ as a professional footballer. We have replacements for him in defense, but this is not our problem area so if we lost ROD, the impact would be greater on the team as we lack quality forwards.

Hope Keegan waits as he still has a place but maybe it's his time to move on and we start to trust in new guys. The same with AOS as we need to move on and find new replacements. Croke Park at latter end of championship will not be kind to guys like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When players hit 30+ they have a limited timespan left. In Mayo's case where reconstruction of a team.is required you ate probably better off bringing in younger players. OM is a much more serious loss than LK, as his race is more or less run. He may fill a gap( have something to offer) for a year or two, but you have to replace him then. There is 2-3 other players similar to that on the Mayo team.

TBF Dublin is making that mistake. The bringing back of Cafferty and Mannion is only showing there dearth in younger talent. Even if they win in 2023 where will that leave them. The return of JC & PM has only probably encouraged 3-4 older Dublin players to give it another year

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

defense, but this is not our problem area.

I would not agree with this.

I think defense is our biggest problem area.

V Kerry in the QF our back 6 was

Keegan, Mullins, Hession

Durcan, Coen, McLaughlin.

Even though they are essentially being played out of position, who would you fill the full back line with without Keegan or Mullin ?

O'Hora is a fine athlete, and imposing, but he's not a pure defender.

Brickenden has been tried a FB but I do think the jury is still out on him (note I have not seen his games for Westport this club season).

We have not had a proper FB since Ger Cafferkey.

Who is there to fill two places in the FB line ?

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

McBrien will hopefully mature into one of the FB line positions

I'd like to see Adam Naughton get a look with the county also although I'm not sure he's really a man for the FB line

When I think of Keegan going, it is the loss of more than just playing football. It is a loss of our best player over quite a substantial number of years who has been nothing short of absolute outstanding. I think that loss is significant from a team who depended on him... loss of an era. He was really our true leader on the pitch over the last 10 odd years, but he never captained the team, which for me as a supporter is disappointing even if I hear he never wanted to go there.

Tbh with Mullen, there are rumours he is going, he is staying, then going, contract signed and all that kind of rubbish, that make you go... i have enough of this muck.

I agree with you on the Dublin situation especially since the guys disappeared for a fair period.

I would think we have not had a proper full back since Kevin Cahill and that's going back a while....Ger Caff was a nice footballer.... We have more options defensively with O'Hora, Brickenden, Plunkett, O ' Brien and I am not sure who else has been sitting on the development squad over the last year or two. We will have to trust these guys if Keegan retires and Mullen goes. I have questions over Coen in CB as well and maybe it is time to look at the likes of DOC to provide that attacking CB role as his scoring rate has declined.

I think this is more solvable than the forwards as we clearly lack forwards who can score. Outside of a returning Conroy(assume he gets back to a decent level), ROD (returns with the bite and stays on frees), improved Carney and COC back to chip in, I am not sure who is going to win scores for us. It is harder to get forwards than defenders and Mayo always seem to find quality defenders. In todays game now, forwards track and fill the space when teams attack so are expected to help defensivly. We lack forwards who can score imo.

Do they even make proper full backs anymore? Half joking / half not.

I think the way the game has gone, be it sweeper systems, packed defences or lateral passing... The joy of seeing a good FB/FF battle is almost non existent.

You are right for most of the time until a team plays the full forward in front of goal and starts landing ball in. This is when you need that full back and/or drop in your sweeper. It is a more collective approach to defending now but to get scoring forwards is a problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

If there's one place on the field you need someone of quality and a cool head it's at full back. Mayo have great halfbacks but try to play them in positions from 2 to 15. Management need to develop players in the correct positions. Mayo tend to play their best 15 players but not their best teams imo.

Agreed fully on Keegan and Mullin. Seems like there has been and continues to be tremendous messing around Mullin situation. Wouldn't know what to make of it. On Keegan - he's a leader and the level of consistency in his attitude and performances hasn't really been matched by anyone else. A pleasure to manage and work with by all accounts. He's the best player Mayo have ever had and it would be a huge loss givsn he still has plenty to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We saw the same 12 months ago and it never materalised.

Not saying it won't happen, but I'll only believe it when he is there and signed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement