Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Given Jan & Feb are the windiest months there, I'd say they wish they had more, but thats just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No misunderstanding in the slightest. You stated that there is a financial viability "documented requirement for all offshore developments" as justifications for Ryan`s last attempted shenanigans in relation to Barryroe.

As always with greens when it comes to anything they do not like their first port of call is casting doubts on the financial viability, yet when it comes to any of their own preferences they cannot even answer the most simple of questions on finances. What is that all about, the inability to do even the simplest of mathematics or the realisation that the finances are so absolutely bonkers they would be laughed out of the place ?

If there is "documented requirements for all offshore developments" then why so shy on presenting them for the E.S.B. plan ?

I mean it`s not as if you didn`t do your calculations on Barryroe`s financial viability on just the permission needed to proceed with an appraisal well. Permission that was not going to cost you, me or anyone else in the state a red cent. So where is your calculations on the E.S.B. plan or this Ministerial "documented requirement" on the financial viability ?

Personally I believe you are just blowing hot air, but hey, prove me wrong and show me this E.S.B. plan is financially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

More likely to be a member of an NGO that receives taxpayer funds. Probably part of a mailing list that he uses to spam this thread with. John Gibbons is someone else. The major NGO that controls the discourse in Ireland is Climate Action Network Europe, this organisation is dominated by Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and Oxfam. An Taisce, Trocaire and the local chapter of the multinational, Friends of the Earth are Irish based members of CAN. StopClimateChaos was founded by members of Trocaire and they were largely behind organising the school protests back in 2019. The geography department (Professor John Sweeney) in Maynooth is also linked with Trocaire. There are more NGOs operating under the umbrella of the Irish Environmental Network, this distributes taxpayer funds from Departments such as DECC, DFA & DCEDIY. It will not be surprising they use social media to influence outcomes.

One of the consequences of Climategate (December 2009) has been the growth of a technical skeptical blogosphere to challenge the notions of expertise being posited in the print and broadcast media. Most of the operators of these blogs are retired men and women from different backgrounds, it's not so easy to cancel them since they are in the departure lounge. Working professionals who take a skeptical line have to tread very carefully, the climate activists (e.g. John Gibbons) purposely target them when they deviate from the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW) narrative.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

If there is "documented requirements for all offshore developments" then why so shy on presenting them for the E.S.B. plan ?

What are you on about, seriously? Where did I ever claim to have that, you're honestly just being weird at this stage.

So where is your calculations on the E.S.B. plan or this Ministerial "documented requirement" on the financial viability ?

Same comment applies.

Tell you what, you show where I claimed to have such calculations or figures for ESB and I'll happily show them to you, otherwise I'll leave you to your weird fantasy world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Interesting comments by Ryan at the end of that article

“By keeping fossil fuels in the ground, we will incentivise the transition to renewable energy and put ourselves on a pathway to net zero by 2050.”

He doesn't care what havoc this causes to ordinary citizens once net zero can be met. He's a very very dangerous man IMO. The path to hell is laid with good intentions is pretty apt for Ryan and his ilk.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Are we in effect discussing Ryan and the GP here?

The people who advised us to buy Mercury lightbulbs.

The people who advised everyone to buy a diesel car. Many of those cars, bought in good faith, are still around, and are now being penalised relative to petrol-fueled cars via higher taxes introduced by the government that Ryan and the GP are part of.

The people who had BnaMóna close down operations while importing briquettes from Estonia/Russia, adding to the carbon footprint of every briquette burned. Not to mention the lettuces on our south-facing windows.

Some people might think Ryan and the Veggies have large credibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Yes, the Green agenda is to make renewables "competitive" by making the cost of fossils untenable. Ryan's response to the Dail on Barryroe has been to deny that it is even a discovery. He has also in recent times told the Dail and Senate that the world will burn to a cinder if we extract fossil fuels, and that Ireland's coastal cities will be uninhabitable by 2020. He's a maniac. I am not joking when I say that Greens are the current number one threat to human civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He's in such a hurry to reach net zero that he either doesn't understand what his policies mean to ordinary citizens or he just doesn't care. The entire global economy is built on energy usage, yet you have Ryan and those lunatics running the EU signing us up to all sorts of hair brain schemes that do nothing but make Europe poorer.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

As somebody said earlier, you really are some tulip.

You claimed there is "documented requirements for all offshore developments" to show they are financially viable. You have used this as an excuse for Ryan holding up the issue of a permit to Barryroe and that he was correct to do so because Ryan didn`t believe they had the finances.

So.... you have either based this support for Ryan on the documentation indicating they didn`t, or you just came to the conclusion based on your own back of an envelope figures, So which one was it ?

The E.S.B. is majority owned by the State with appointments and remuneration of the Board determined by The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and the Environment. Disconcerting is it not that we have an E.S.B. plan where the offshore section will alone cost anything from €83 Bn. - €120 Bn. and there is no documented financial viability report that Ryan was so concerned over for Barryroe ?

But that should not prevent you on doing your analysis on the E.S.B. plan seeing as you had no problem doing it for Barryroe, so if not then why not. Because when it comes to projects they do not like as opposed to those they favor when it comes to finances greens are the ultimate hypocrites ?

You claimed there is "documented requirements for all offshore developments" to show they are financially viable.

Well yeah, because that's the case. It's not me claiming it, it's the legislation.

You have used this as an excuse for Ryan holding up the issue of a permit to Barryroe and that he was correct to do so because Ryan didn`t believe they had the finances.

Incorrect

So.... you have either based this support for Ryan on the documentation indicating they didn`t,

Incorrect

you just came to the conclusion based on your own back of an envelope figures

Correct, as I already stated, several times now, based on the requirements and what I saw in the PR annual reports, I said, many MANY times they would be in trouble due to this. As was recently reported, turns out I was 100% bang on the money which is why they've had to accept possibly the worst deal in the history of deals, just to keep their crazy gravy train on the track.

The rest of your post is you getting bent out of shape because I am not interested in doing the same for the ESB, ok, cool. Anything else I can help with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

French nuclear is now only 10GW down compared to last year. Only nett exports are on windy weekends these days.

Luckily this most of this week they've been getting 10GW of wind. At one point today they were getting 4/5GW of solar

Exports are mostly to Italy and Switzerland which then exports to Italy. But there are larger imports from Germany/Begium, Spain, and UK.

Nuclear is used for baseload not export. Unless the French were exporting more than the 25% of annual production that came from non-nuclear sources, which they weren't.

But let's ignore the countries that use nuclear AND local coal because it's an alternative to importing gas. Doesn't lower CO2 emissions, but helps with balance of payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

UK has large LNG import capacity (about half its total usage) but ever since Rough closed down pretty much nowhere to store it.

Rough reopened a while back, at 20% capacity (30bcf). Enough storage to heat 1 million homes for 100 days apparently. This is not their only storage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oil prices really coming down now on the international markets too. Noticed diesel on offer for 164.9c today, petrol 149.9 too. A bit of relief to the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭steinbock123

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Portlaoise, on the Mountmellick Rd.

It was on offer - one day special, thanksgiving Thursday.

Otherwise the cheapest around I see is 173.9c diesel and 159.9 petrol.

LOL. You really do just make it up as you go along.

The one and only reason for Barryroe`s troubles was the disgraceful behaviour of Ryan. Their present "trouble" that is sticking in your craw is the €40 Million investment by one of Ireland`s wealthiest men and the realisation that your hopes of Ryan using his office attempting to sink Barryroe are now dead.

I do not know what you know about Larry Goodman, but an ex-chief financial officer of Goodman`s is a former neighbour of mine.Now retired from a relatively early age and a wealthy man, so I can tell you for nothing, Larry Goodman does not finance gravy trains. He didn`t acquire his wealth by doing that. So as regards to you being 100% bang on the money I would tend to have more faith in Goodman`s judgement than yours if it`s all the same to you.

As to me being bang out of shape because you know that your back of an envelope exercise on the E.S.B. plan similar to your back of the envelope on Barryroe, it`s more a case of me bent over laughing at your running away from a plan where from even the little we do know that just the offshore construction costs would be in the €83 - €120 Billion range where a 12 year old could tell you without even having to use an envelope is so financially insane it is beyond laughable.

But I will certainly look forward to this "documented requirements for all offshore developments" on the financial viability of the E.S.B. plan. I assume we can expect it any day now from Ryan seeing it was such an important requirement for Barryroe when it was a matter of €0.00 rather than an E.S.B. plan that will cost consumers north of €150,000,000,000 just for the initial construction costs and production and storage of hydrogen.

I love the old look at the Esb financials and all that lark as if they were ever read. If they were a link would be up in seconds like the other dumps.

• Advertisement

If there was a link it is the last thing that would be put up.

Green supporters know that if the finances required see the light of day their grand scheme will sink faster than the Titanic.

Good to know that there is financial documented requirements for all offshore developments. If they were so important for granting a permit to a private company that was not going to cost the state a penny then I cannot see where they are not a lot more important for a state body plan that would cost consumers untold Billions. Ryan is one of two Ministers responsible for that state body so there should be no problem or expense involved in getting them you would imagine.

I know it was more tongue in cheek If it was actually reasonable price.

No idea what these loops are, but whatever they are they are not as interesting as watching you yet again scamper off when presented with actual verifiable facts, or you seeing that your backing of Ryan, as he again disgraced himself and his office on Barryroe, has come to nothing with Goodman stepping in.

If the price was reasonable greens would be over it like a rash rather than running for the hills whenever costs are mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If you count all gas usage rather than just domestic heating the UK's total storage is enough for 5 winter days.

Edit: At capacity Rough could previously store 10 days worth.

No idea what these loops are

Oh that is very obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

You're becoming boringly predictable now. Not even trying to disguise the blatant trolling any more it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"As always with greens when it comes to anything they do not like their first port of call is casting doubts on the financial viability, yet when it comes to any of their own preferences they cannot even answer the most simple of questions on finances."

This has the strong ring of truth about it. In the same way as for SF, it's a united Ireland at any cost, so with the Greens it's green tech utopia at any cost.

• Advertisement

A different opinion is not trolling.

I will admit to not taking some folks seriously anymore as their anger at climate change policies renders them nutso.

Advertisement