Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Latency

Options
  • 23-11-2022 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone is experiencing any latency while using Eir FTTH? I currently have the 1gig connection and am experiencing considerable latency (especially in online gaming). My current setup is as follows: ONT -> Ubiquiti Dream Machine -> Switch -> Wall Port (installed in every room in apartment). I have QoS set up on the UDM and correct ports forwarded for Xbox & PC etc. Changed the DNS servers to OpenDNS as they are the fastest according to my tests (I've also tried GoogleDNS as well as Cloudflare and no difference)

I've also tried WiFi and powerline adapters and no difference in latency there. I've called Eir tech support and they say they can see no fault on the line and everything is working normally. I'm at my wits end here because I used to have Virgin fibre in the apartment and the latency was grand but ever since I switched to Eir it's noticeably worse.

Would appreciate any tips/suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

doubt qos is needed on 1gig, have you tested without it turned on?

you also didn't say what latency issues, what examples do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gerbear1990

My main issue is experiencing latency/packet loss in online gaming. It's a huge issue for me and it's very noticeable whenever I'm online. For example, when I turn on QoS my upload latency drops from <100ms to around 5ms, download latency also drops from <30ms to 1/2ms. Generally I leave downstream QoS off and only leave it on for upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

suggest trying the router you got from isp and test via ethernet only, see if any difference which would isolate the dream machine as a setting issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gerbear1990

Oh I've tried with the Eir router, an Asus RT-AX88u and a Netgear XR500 and no difference at all. Anyway, I'll take it up with Eir again and see if they tell me something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

You could try disconnecting as many other devices from your network as possible. I know my VM router is crippled when there's too much wifi traffic, either too many devices or too much throughput. It does much better with the same traffic load partially moved to over ethernet.

Bizarrely recently I found that some of my ethernet devices were somehow causing big latency issues for me. I narrowed it down to a netgear switch and one or both of the smart hubs connected to it (Ikea and Lidl). They were jitter, but only under high load. Downloads, Netflix, 1:1 voice calls fine - Xbox game streaming or voice calls with lots of people it would suddenly collapse. It was intermittent too, but once it started it could only be fixed by disconnecting those 3 devices from ethernet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement