Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Conor O'Shea is David Nucifora in the RFU. The specifics of the roles might be slightly different but the job title and overall responsibilities are the same.

Thats a salary role similar to a national head coach imo. I doubt that going from that role to head coach of a province would be an attractive move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Ok. Still more prestigious to lead a team himself to word tittle.

Whether he is forced to go to a province before if IRFU wants him is another question, but it would make sense he does coaching again before having Ireland.

All hypothesis these...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why would he want to? He's in England for years as i said bar the few years in Italy. He is in a similar role to Nucifora and he doesnt seem interested in positions of coaching teams but more is interested in long term roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Nucifora will probably look to Oz for a coach. I would love to see Carolan get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Will be very interesting what pack is picked this weekend, good big of depth there now. I’d go with:

Dooley Heff Bealham Murray Thornbury Prendergast Oliver Boyle with a bench of DTM Buckley Aungier Murphy Butler

In the backs would go with either hawkshaw at 12 or fitz at 15, need that second playmaker option in the backline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

We are replacing a Director of Rugby, not a coach. They are completely different roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

That’s a fair point, but it assumes that we are going to keep the DoR model going forward, which is no guarantee. Lam, Keane and Friend (for the first four years) had no DoR.

My instinct, based on that history, is that we will hire a Head Coach to run the show as before, for financial reasons as much as anything else, but if you are correct and Friend is replaced with another DoR type then it’s a big shift for the club.

They need to get the selection right. Friend has been a disappointment. Perhaps the job is there for Wilkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

You say that a lot but he has a better winning percentage then all previous Connacht coaches. Wilkins as head coach is definitely not the right selection. He's been at the club longer then Friend I think a fresh voice would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

As a team that can't look to recruit top end players getting someone with contacts to recruit up and coming talent from SA/NZ would be something I'd hope we go for.

Not sure exactly who that would be but Lam brought in players from NZ, Friend from Oz so someone with in depth knowledge of another market could give us a leg up there.

The change in league structure makes us more attractive to irish talent so having an Irish head coach doesn't help us too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I'd love if it was Carolan...but unless he loses every game for the rest of the year it's surely going to be Wilkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah that's true, I'm just going off the fact that the Connacht press release explicitly stated that we are searching for a replacement.

I think previously we had a Professional Games Board or some such which fulfilled some of the roles which would usually fall to a DoR, consisting of the head coach, Tim Alnutt, and A.N. other.

Lol! Connacht have been poor during Friends tenure. He's been poor. It was a poor appointment. There must be someone in the Irish structure who would do a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

I tend to agree, but it feels like many don't or don't want to say it. He's certainly an affable guy and comes across very well, but apart from a few decent signings he hasn't really pushed the team forward unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

He's given the team in better shape he took it

Mentally but not only. Prendergast, Hansen, Hurley, Hawkshaw, both Murray, Forde, Mullins, DTM, Illo are already decent at least but there with us for many years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Team v Munster

15. John Porch (66)

14. Byron Ralston (6)

13. Tom Farrell (83)

12. Bundee Aki (119)

11. Alex Wootton (37)

10. Jack Carty (184) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (154)

1. Denis Buckley (215)

2. Dave Heffernan (171)

3. Finlay Bealham (173)

4. Josh Murphy (5)

5. Gavin Thornbury (68)

6. Cian Prendergast (33)

7. Conor Oliver (47)

8. Jarrad Butler (100)

Replacements

16. Shane Delahunt (117)

17. Peter Dooley (5)

18. Jack Aungier (38)

19. Niall Murray (40)

20. Oisín Dowling (31)

21. Kieran Marmion (215)

22. Conor Fitzgerald (57)

23. Paul Boyle (79)

Disappointed that Hawkshaw wasn't picked. Delahunt back in for DTM, two locks on the bench in a 6-2 split - appears we can look forward to a muscular affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Finally get to see Porch at 15 again. Would have liked to see Hawkshaw involved and disappointed to see DTM lose spot in 23, he had performed well enough to hold it. Niall Murray unfortunate not to hold his position.

Impactful bench, stay in it for 60 minutes and anything could happen.

Yes, I don't get it these selections (apart from Porch). At least Murray is on the bench, very tough on the other two who have earned the right to be in the 23 with their performances this season. Delahunt and Farrrell are great players, but they're not getting the jersey tomorrow based on what they've produced on the pitch of late. Delahunt hasn't even been on the pitch.

Anyway, hope that the two of them get a brace of tries each and put me in my box.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Hopefully we are replacing a coach also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Funny but I can't see carbury and Casey even coming close to carty and blade

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Yes, but all the ex munster players are convinced casey is world class and that's what the media feeds off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not sure how the ref singled Buckley out there to reverse that penalty. Seemed like Salanoa was at it as well.

Carty was like WTF?

And of course Munster score from that reversal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Keep targeting Carbery, his decision making and execution is too slow

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Hope carbury stays on for most of the game, he is just hype and does not like anyone near him. Jesus I am never say anything about reffing teams but we are getting rode for the last 20minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Criminal from carty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Casey lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Those pens are just nonsense. He had caught the ball before he had even left the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This ref is an absolute joke. Connacht have no chance.

Advertisement