Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭coolbeans

So lads, it's all very confusing now with the increase in public charging prices. Spending about €550 per month on diesel atm with trips from Clonmel to Naas three times per week. Am I OK to change to an MG4 or a Kona, both are on order, if I charge at home and at work and avoid public chargers? I don't want to end up paying ca. €550 per month on electricity rather than diesel as it won't make any sense to change then and on top of that I'll have to keep making payments on a new vehicle. My 152 diesel is well paid for by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

If you use PAYG at the new prices at high power chargers you would get over 800kWh for €550.

Going from Clonmel to Naas and back 3 times a week will use in the region of 800kWh a month (bit more or less depending on time of year, weather, speed, etc.). If you have no home or work charging, your "fuel" cost will remain the same. If you have home charging and can reliably charge in work, then you shouldn't need any public charging for your commute, and your costs will come down. How far it comes down depends on your home electricity rate and whatever charge there is (if any) for work charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Banged those figures into the cost calculator I have and I'm fairly certain you're looking at about €1,500 per year assuming 10% public charging, which should be realistic given a Kona can oneshot that trip from 100%

€550 per month is €6,600 per year, so yeah around €5k savings

Enjoy the free holiday 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Savings are maybe 40%-60% these days home charging versus a diesel so yes you will save around 200 a month. Make sure you are on a good electricity plan and charge at cheapest times. If one car is home daytime then solar electric panels can help with free charging. Everyone avoids public charging anyway when they have a home charger. Check work charging prices it may be cheaper in work than home.

Clonmel to naas is 290km return. Make sure you have 60+kW model of cars. The car may struggle to do that trip at full motorway speed in depths of January with a head wind, so beware if you get to work with less than 50% battery left you need to charge before the return trip or slow down. Charging a low battery might take 8 hours so get a proper home charger installed before car shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Enjoy the free holiday

Or factor in those €5,000 savings over the next 1-2-3 years into the cost of going for a bigger/longer range EV

• Advertisement

Stop ruining my fun with fact based logic 😉

I did realise that, I'm reasonably sure you could get a holiday out of the savings despite that

Might be a weekend in Cork instead of a week in Disneyland, but still a holiday 😁

Thank you all. I'm getting a Zappit charger installed at home and I've got free charging at work. Following your advice I'll continue down the electric route. I feel this public charging cost hike is media sensationalism as I had never reckoned on using them much, if at all. No doubt this will be the latest gotcha that I'll have to bat off by those who keep arguing against changing.

Re my electric tariff, I only bought the house in June this year so have no accurate picture of my domestic energy use. I'm not into tied to any supplier as I pay a higher rate ATM as I wait for the new car and then intend to change to a contract with whomever offers me the best deal on night time rate.

Am I doing this right? Any suggestions with what supplier I should go with? I live alone and don't use a huge amount heating etc.

I'd recommend looking into a night meter if you don't already have one.

There's not a huge number of deals to be had right now but the Energia EV plan is probably the best if you can shift a good amount of usage to the night rate

Do you need a separate night meter to get the night rate? May be a stupid question but I only came back to Ireland last year.

Not anymore, if you have a digital meter then it does both

If you have a smart meter then I think there's some difficulty in switching back to a night meter, but not 100% sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes. If you dont get the day night meter, you wont get the best day night rates

I think he meant did you need the old setup with 2 analog meters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If home electricity got to the point of being as expensive as diesel - to power an EV..

Then this would represent an electricity cost that would require Govt action for wider nothing to do with EV reasons. Not that I would rely on this of course - relying on Govt to do the right thing is a recipe for tears and disappointment.

The one risk factor is that the workplace could decide to start charging a fee if at business rates they thought free EV charging was too expensive.

Google suggests that the round trip Clonmel to Naas is 290 kms.

I think a Kona 64 kwh would do pretty much that entire trip on one charge.

I say pretty much because in summer it will smash it. In Winter 300 kms range is doable but circumstances/how you drive could force that to be 270/280 kms.

So you should *never* need to public charge on that trip with both home and workplace charging at both ends.

As a wider point it's worth noting that even if you had been planning public charging.

At 270 kms range in winter and 300 kms to travel you'd actually only need enough public charging and thus exposure to cost of it for the difference between 270 and 300 kms*.

Finally I'd note the point that being in a brand new car with warranty - even an ICE - has a value

*no sensible person would drive down to zero all the time so would be a slightly bigger gap. But trying to keep the point simple

Seems a very reasonable summation of my concerns. It's hard to disagree with any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

And market rates are why costs will not reduce from where they are now when electricity rates reduce. They may well rise again, and may well fall back to where they are now, but rates of 25-35c will not be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

They need to sort out Icing on Ev chargers if they are going down that route or at least start fining people tried to charge in kimmage today and was a joke two fast chargers iced (cops around too and did nothing about it). I don't know how anyone could rely on public charging in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I knew that would happen in fairness. Some of the parking in that carpark is disgraceful so to park an ICE vehicle in a charging spot is nothing new to these clowns.

Carnage, between that and a van parking to the side of the EV bays blocking a delivery truck was a joke won't be going back there in a hurry, ended up in templeville gave more time looking for a charger than charging.

Normally top up before I get to Dublin I said would give it a try in the city this time around. Won't be doing that in a hurry again 😒.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Very much depends on the time of day. I've no problem getting a charge, but I don't go looking for one at the same time as everyone's out on their commute. I've now started to use the Supervalu at Sundrive for my shopping. Having a charger co-located with something I have to do anyway is a great improvement.

As to the parking enforcement, that's the site owners responsibility, eCars are simply renting the spaces from them.

Mmm that pretty much rules out 9 to 5 Saturdays and Sundays then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Was at Supervalu Knocklyon today, GMC doing siteworks in corner of the car park near the recycling, I suspect it's going to be another installation like the one at Supervalu Sundrive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Good to see so many new builds/additions from many suppliers in the pipeline at the moment.

Just goes to show that the previous low cost model was probably the biggest hindrance to an effective charging network in the country.

The cost model hasn't really changed, the high prices are due to the high commercial costs. If you're paying 20c/kWh and selling EV charging at 30c/kWh and now paying 40c/kWh and selling EV charging at 50c/kWh you are making the exact same money.

It's the increase in EVs on the road that is justifying the network expansions.

There's a taxi driver parked in the "marked" EV spot at the 150kw charger at superquinn Sundrive. He has a cable running across to the AC point on the 50kw charger which is further away.

I'm not sure if it's his first rodeo or if he's trying to save money by charging on the AC. Unfortunately for someone turning up looking a fast charge he's parked in the 150kw bay.

Its likely that the spots are badly marked, the AC should have its own separate bay. Probably Anna's usual nonsense of 3 spaces for 4 chargers

There's another marked space at the 50kw charger which is empty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

This might have been discussed to death already but, the layout and length of the cables at some of the esb sites isn't great.

Was at one with 150kw unit on outside, with two spaces in front of the 50kw unit. (To right of 150kw unit).

I pulled in in a m3, there was a chap in an id4 on the 150kw unit but parked in the middle parking slot.

Think it was because the charge point on his car was on drivers side. Mine being on passenger side meant if I went into the third slot at the 50kw, then the lead from that unit wouldn't stretch enough to fit.

Thankfully all sorted itself out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have a look at the length of the cables on the currently being deployed Applegreen network of chargers….. they are long enough to fit into any car in any space……

meanwhile at an eCars ‘hub’ a car can park in the middle space and block access to the 150kW charger to any cars with charge port on drivers side…

• Advertisement

Empty now, yes, but the bad layout may have forced a bad parking scenario

Advertisement