Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options
  • 23-11-2022 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The king is dead, long live the king.

Only 102 days to lights out for 2023..

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Danny Ric confirmed reserve at RB for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

RB's "Third Driver"... Maybe they'll field a third car next year 🤣 I think Checo will begin looking for another drive. Can't imagine him hanging around when it's Team RB-Max.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He won't get a better seat though. Is there even a better seat than 2nd RB driver? Remember this is a guy who was out of F1 if RB didnt sign him.

Perez is a good 2 , upper middle of the pack probably but I'd rate him behind Russell, behind Max obv, behind the likes of leclerc, alonso, gasly et al. He's doing a job in the Bottas role. Be a good boy and race well but don't challenge the clear number 1. It was the same with Irvine and Barrichello when MSC was at ferrari. You can't have 2 top class drivers in one team if you aren't the best car by a mile as you'll take points off each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Perez know's which side of his bread is buttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Clever from Red Bull I think. They now have a year to see if Danny Ric is washed or if he's just had a run of cars that didn't suit. And in the meantime you'd imagine it'll put the frighteners on Checo to ensure he plays ball, because it would look like they could replace him with Ricciardo in 2024 if he goes rogue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yes, I'm loving this. Expecting sparks to fly in RB. The first few races should be fun to see how this plays out in 2023!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's one thing Checo won't do and that's rock the boat, Marko won't let him and probably demote him to Alpha Tauri like he did with Gasly when he got too big for his boots. Checo is the 5th or 6th best driver on the grind, he's good for a podium and the odd win but lacks the ability to turn up the pace when he needs too like Verstappen or Hamilton and the qualifying pace can be hit or miss. He has the cop on to play the team game and take his chances when he gets them. Assuming RB,Merc and Ferrari will be on the pace next season, Checo might not have it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭thefa

Is there something in the characteristics of the car that would suggest a Red Bull would lead to better performance out of Ricciardo?

I saw a video on how the RB’s development over this season’s became more “pointy” and as a result more suited to Max’s driving than Perez.

Also read how this season’s McClaren suited neither Norris or Ricciardo but Norris was more adaptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

They also have one of the most recognisable drivers on the grid who’s got a bit of a cult following. Easy marketing material for them. A win win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Isn't this the real role DR has in Red bull next year. Essentially a driver for promos, marketing etc. Liam Lawson is the actual third driver in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think Danny Ric will ever take Checo's spot. I don't think DR's ego/competitiveness would ever allow him to play the no. 2 role as graciously as Checo.. And he's certainly not going to win a WDC so I don't see RB taking him over Checo anytime soon.. The way I see it, they either get a contender for the second car or a clear no.2. Getting someone in the middle just doesn't make sense, it would hamper the team.

I heard that he's listed as Alpha Tauri's reserve driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭This is it

More chatter of Binotto hitting the road

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So there was/is some rumours of Charles Leclerc talking to Mercedes.

Tota Wolf is saying he does not see their car being at the front much next year.

So if it goes like that here is what I see happening. Lewis will retire, Charles will move to Mercedes if Ferrari continues to mess up next year and Sergio will go to Ferrari while Daniel Ricciardo will take up the 2nd seat at Red Bull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I really can't picture a scenario where Danny Ric will willingly play second fiddle to Max the way Checo did. Doesn't matter if it's that or out of F1, Danny would take out.

Can't see Mercedes wanting two drivers battling it out long term and there's no way Charles or George will play 2nd fiddle at this stage. Both are far too good for that.

I disagree. They did it with Hamilton & Rosberg, and I seem to remember Toto saying that they give their drivers every chance of racing each other. We saw it with George v Lewis in Brazil sure.

We did see it at times this year, but my view is that they won't want that long term, they'll want what they had with Bottas and what RB have with Perez

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is said every year, but Mercedes have always allowed their drivers to be competitive. Bottas wasn't signed to be a number 2, he was signed after showing a lot of promise at Williams after he completely bypassed F2. That's how talented he was.

He eventually fell into that role but that wasn't what it was supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Will be interesting to see if they bounce back next year or go down hill a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think RTE might have added 2+1 to get 4. Not quite at 2+2 yet.

No sign of the BBC or Sky Sports reporting he's definitely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yes, its just one Italian newspaper saying it, so more a strong rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My half Italian nephew said to me: Uncle-a Jordan, Binotto is-a outta the door-a 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't really think parallels can be drawn between Mercedes in 2013 and Mercedes now. They were in a very different position.

Also, Bottas may not have been signed initially to be a no. 2 driver (personally I think he was), but he was signed to be a no. 2 driver on 3 further occasions.. It was evident fairly early on he wasn't a WDC contender. Mercedes clearly wanted a no. 2 driver for those seasons.

But fwiw I think teams take a clear no. 2 if they have a generational driver (Schumi, Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen). I don't think they'd have any issue taking on competition for Russell. But I'd be wary of joining Ferrari if I was Leclerc. As Horner said early in the season, it's better to have a fast car with issues than have a reliable car that's slow. If Ferrari get their sh.t together (big if) they could challenge RB next year. I think the gap from Mercedes to RB won't be overcome next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If I remember correctly they commented that the Hamliton Rosberg title season was bad for the team.

Merc did let George and Lewis race this year, but they were racing for nothing. If either one was in spitting distance of the title, and were clear of the team mate, I'd expect them to be given the preference. If they were only battling each other, I'd expect them to be allowed to race.

Max was clear of Checo this season not because Checo played second fiddle to him, but because Max was much better. Same as Bottas playing second fiddle to Lewis, it was generally clear that Lewis was way ahead of him. I' sure we can find instances of the 'no.2' being asked to move over, but I don't think we will find many 'pull over on the back straight to give him the points' scenarios - most of the time it is just getting the faster driver ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh it depends on how you measure good and bad. It got far more global free advertising and column inches than Hamilton's easy championship in some of those dominant years.

I think it was a good problem to have - two drivers fighting for the championship. I'd say they'd be happier to have that kind of problem than being as far off the pace as they were for the first half of this season.

Bottas wasn't an obvious no.2 in practice. Everyone knew he was no.2 in reality but he obviously didn't have it written in his contract. He was decent but not top tier. Similar to Perez. The most surprising thing about the controversy with Max was that perez was surprised. I thought it was obvious that he was there to support max but Perez clearly didn't see it that way - so I conclude it's not in his contract.

Both Bottas and Perez were very well chosen because they're fast but not so fast as to make a battle with the main driver. And that's fine if you have the best car and can reasonably compete for the championship with the main driver.

I'd say Mercedes don't have that luxury at the moment so they'll be happy to just have 2 competitive drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Binotto gone

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

some of the experts here can maybe confirm this - I read somewhere that the cars need to have a 15mm higher ground clearance at the rear (a regulation change for 2023) and, more importantly, this has been done specifically because of Mercedes complaining about the porpoising issue in 2022 and how it is bad for the health of the drivers - repotedly quite a few of the teams are unhappy about this (the teams that did not have porpoising as an issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

You would have to imagine Leclercs sooner rather than later contract renewal has soemthing to do with binotto "resigning" he's been more often than not very vocal about his displeasure at the calls etc made over the radio this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement