Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That doesn't really matter though... the player is in an active offside position right in front of the keeper rather than a passive one (if he was way off over to the side). If there's even the possibility that his position impacts the keepers decision making - regardless what the keeper does - he's offside.

Poor from the player himself - he didn't need to be there and had time to have gotten back out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I agree with the meanish analysis about the Iranian tactics but I was referring specifically to their immediate reaction at the final whistle. Both Williams and Rush agreed Iran were the better team. You said you had just switched over so I pointed out some comments you may have missed. If you saw it from the start and disagree that they said that then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Here is the rule verbatim

"A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
    • interfering with an opponent by:
      • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
      • challenging an opponent for the ball or
      • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball "

The goalkeeper is airborne so therefore is not prevented from playing or being able to play the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hopefully this one isn't ruled out for offside for Ecuador.

It's fine, this one will stand. They deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Plata so close.

Woah! What a strike, smacked off the crossbar. The Dutch keeper hadn't a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't know what to make of the Dutch at all. Seem functional rather than flair.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Currently don't look like the most likely team to win this game.

What's Stevie Wonder doing on the Dutch bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

It’s just superstition.

…..I’ll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

An awful lot of people sleeping on this Ecuador team because they aren’t full of big names and have only beaten an awful Qatar side.

They’re balanced really well all over the pitch, very good full backs and one really high quality midfielder in Caicedo.

They’re not a bad shout to top this group IMO, and they’ll certainly give Senegal a tough game if they don’t simply beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And just a word on this Dutch side, they’re absolutely not a team for the group stages. They weren’t under LvG in 2014 either despite beating Spain well. As average as they look now, they’ll be tough for anyone to beat in a knockout game, and that’s always sort of been the case with the Dutch.

You could say the very same about England, but the Netherlands always have a chance in a knockout game over any of the big teams whereas England have their level and would be unlikely to beat the very best when it comes down to it.

I was gonna make a stupid joke like that but for once in my life I took the higher ground.

You are too serious. Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think UTD may have dodged one with FDJ transfer saga. I haven't been impressed with him since he moved to Barca and he has been no great shakes at this WC either!

I don't see the Dutch doing much this year. In previous competitions they had firepower up top whereas these are probably the most toothless Dutch forwards in decades.

Credit to Ecuador for their defence. Impressed with the 3 CBs Hincapie, Torres and Porozo. I see Torres is playing in Mexico. Wonder if any European teams are considering a bid for next year.

That Dutch team is very poor. No go in them. I haven’t watched Barca other than CL but they weren’t great either. Very hard for a good player to shine if the rest of the team is not performing.

So in fairness United is the absolute last place to go. Very much a black hole for talent same as Barca given both clubs expectations vs the reality of the off the field sht show.

• Advertisement

England look good real vibrancy to them, more so than the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ya but by the same token good players always stand out from the rest in poorer/lesser sides. I have not seen anything from FDJ in 2 nearly 3 years that suggests he's the stand out performer among the squads he's involved with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tyler Adams the first player in WC history to have a name consisting of two US President surnames.

Well I'm assuming- don't think there was a Kennedy van Buren that played for Netherlands!

The fact Barcelona were trying like mad to get rid of Frankie De Jong should say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

USA are full of running, English back 4 and Rice not the quickest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

England really should be behind.

• Advertisement

Great chance spurned by McKennie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

USA better team so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

You can’t dye your hair and miss like that mckennie lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Yup, expect them to up the anti, but England looking sluggish so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tripper should be booked already,

Mckennie is a super player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

so close

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pulisic rattles the bar, USA by far the better team.

Off the bar, so unlucky from the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Unlucky Pulisic - England not looking all that hot in this match.

Pulisic off the bar. America the better side as it stands.

England could have no complaints if they were losing. USA have been the better team with the better chances. Unlucky effort off the crossbar from Pulisic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

USA have had the better chances so far , England need to go up a gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've a feeling this is one of those games that England will win with a jammy late goal:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Some terrible play by England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Why does Pulisic go into the box there?

He's tiny - there are two USA players in for the header and the ball sails over everyone to where Pulisic was before he started drifting in. If he had a football brain there he had a clear strike at goal on.

• Advertisement

England are defending so deep due to the lack of pace from Maguire. They need to advance up the pitch as a team.

Only 1 minute injury time, back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hopefully team USA have something in the tank for the 2nd half,ran out of steam fairly quickly v Wales,Kane's arse /pen to get the winner

Ah c'mon! That's a woeful effort from McKennie.

Yeah they went quiet since I praised them for looking vibrant in the first 10 minutes. From the look of it England would be happy with the point, and not too bothered about over extending themselves. Probably think they will be beat Wales handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Getting a bit of a Belgium-Canada feel here where all the effort of the underdog will come undone by 1 chance being taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Missed the first few minutes myself, England looking a bit better iin early stages of second half.

Shaw should have got a yellow there, he didn't even concede a free.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 dirty tackles by Maguire and shaw in quick succession go unpunished. USA should query that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

England need a substitution - this team isn't doing the business for them. Foden & Grealish need to come on IMO.

Advertisement