Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement charger for Cordless Vaccum.

Options
  • 24-11-2022 11:22pm

Hi, I need to buy a replacement battery charger for a cordless vaccum. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I went to the manufacturer's website but they are out of stock.

All the different voltages / outputs on Amazon have me bamboozled and I don't want to buy the wrong one and probably blow something up. Here is a photo of the original charger:

It was for a Vytronix Cordless Vaccum with a 29.6 V battery.

Thanks for any help.

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Do you know it's the charger and how much is the cleaner new

They don't seem that expensive on Amazon I'd probably be looking at a new cleaner

Yes, the charger wire actually snapped, the cleaner itself is perfect, less than 12 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

If wire cable is cut in middle - could be easy fix. its fairly low voltage 35v so not dangerous. But might be hard to locate a replacement adapter of that unusual voltage.

unplug and strip wires and join using a screw terminal block you can get in dealz or any diy or pound shop.

or ask someone who can solder it for a better job - maybe even a friendly phone repair shop would do it as its an easy fix.

only thing to watch out for is not to reverse the wires when joining.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Should do for a repair u would think solder and heat shrink I presume ?

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

Given where the cord snapped, I don't think a repair is possible. It's dangling on by a thread.

I'd be nervous of using a repaired charger too, if I'm honest.

I didn't realise the voltage of this charger was unusual, or would be hard to get.

I guess I'm going to have to wait and see if the manufacturer restocks the charger?

• Advertisement

>I guess I'm going to have to wait and see if the manufacturer restocks the charger?

yeah - probably best option -

but if you know anyone who can fix stuff - its not difficult to replace that broken bit - and a new plug is available on amazon etc for a euro or so

for tools at the very least you would need a multimeter to verify which wire is positive and a soldering iron.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s really a simple fix if the charger is still working

see have you any leads lying around the house that fit into the charger port

if so then cut back your broken lead and strip into 2 individual cables

cut your found lead and strip into 2 individual cables

use a connector block to join the cables back up

if the polarity isn’t correct then just swap around

there are power supplies available (cheaper than this)that have adapters that would suit. Note the power supply won’t do this application but the accompanying leads will

https://powercity.ie/product/042335

The charger isn't working and now the tip has broken off completely. The manufacturer says the chargers "might" be restocked in a few weeks. Really annoying. I only bought this vaccum in February.

I found this charger in the house, and tried it (plugged into an RCD adapter!) and the battery charging light came on. (Its a 29.6v battery)

Would it be dangerous to use this while I wait for the official part to come back into stock? (if it ever does - I'm not confident).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kimbot you are a legend! You have no idea how many times I've googled this and come up empty handed!

But.. in a bizarre twist, I think this is the same spec as the one I just posted above that I already have?!?

• Advertisement

Similar output. I wouldn’t think it’s dangerous

Close - but that one is 20.4 W - the original is 45W - so rated at less than half whats needed.

it will at best get very hot, or charge very slowly - or burn out.

The best solution is to replace the plug on what you have - as suggested above - cut plug and length of wire from existing plug...

or this needs only a screwdriver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077STNHRJ/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0

or if you have soldering skills (way I would do it..):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancable-Replacement-5-5x2-1mm-Connector-Shrinkle-4-Pack/dp/B07KLMVJK8

“Roll it back”

Okay, thanks Ozmo - I've ordered the screw type as I have never soldered anything in my life, and I'll give it a go.

Hopefully one of the above options will get me through until the manufacturer restocks. 🤞

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Update!

So I rewired the broken charger with the new pin, and it seems to be working ok. At least, so far, nothing has blown up.

One comment I will make about the replacement pins - they are a tiny bit shorter than the original.

I also bought a multimeter and figured out how to check the polarity of the wires after watching a few youtube videos. But for anyone reading something I've learned since....

The wire with the long-dash lines is positive, and wire with the writing on it, is negative.

I also checked the voltage on both chargers (the one I had in the drawer, and the fixed one) and they both gave exactly the same numbers so, go figure!

At least I can now use my vaccum to hoover up all the little bits of stripped wire! I'll still buy a new charger when they are available, but thanks to all for the help and advice.

Well done on the fix!

“Roll it back”

……..

Advertisement