Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I think Black Friday has lost it's mojo ( but yeah, Boards has never come back from the "upgrade" )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It's a real pity. This place used to be hopping at this time of year, since the redesign it's much quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Horrific was the upgrade.... I for one have given thumbs down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if there were more bargains, there'd be more posts.

I think generally there is a shortage of genuine offers on products

• Registered Users Posts: 32,612 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was an upgrade in the same way the Thanos snap in the avengers film was....half the posters disappeared...

Very few things for me this year, decent sale on inkey list, adidas and Nike not bad either (especially if you can order stuff from UK site and pick it up in NI)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That's it really, many items are simply at their regular selling price with a 20-40% discount advertised off an RRP they're rarely sold at. Sennheiser had some good offers, as they've had for the last few years, there was an okay xbox series s offer from smyths(?¿?) I think, can't think of anything else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Black Friday has been stretched out from a day, to a week and now a month by some retailers. It should be just 1 mad day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Irish retailers take the proverbial. For the most part a sale is just the same stuff at the same price as normal. With a fake "previously at" figure added above.

If there is a deal there is almost no stock. So it might aswell not exist. Amazon is poor aswell.

This is why this thread is a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

And boards is a dysfunctional heap. Forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I got offered a Prime trial. Put 5 items in my basket only to be told that none can be delivered to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Prob way late to the party on the bundle deal issues, but ai found if you added the non bundle item to your basket, then clicked on it from the basket it brings you back to the product page and you could then add the bundle option.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They won't deliver things like food or drink or power banks. A lot of third party sellers on Amaazon don't ship either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I saw on twitter Amazon's response to a query about the bundle offers was that the items were out of stock so they couldn't replicate the issue! Not out of stock for UK customers though. Amazon don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

So my Amazon Prime Student offer is finishing - this was based on my daughters DCU email but the renewal seem to require UK student documentation? Anyone able to renew with .ie student emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭Treppen

Heard of people signing up for free courses on Open University then getting the college email. Dunno if it works though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All were fulfilled by Amazon & normally shipped items eg a screwdriver set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What's the best deal for some smart plugs that people have seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

I got these recently. Hooked one up to the Christmas tree lights so google turns the lights on/off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Easiest way to get a UK version firestick to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

Saw loads of them in a basket in Currys in store yesterday on discount at half price. I would have thought UK and Ireland versions were same? I think it depends on the amazon account you use to activate it that gives you some UK options.

“Roll it back”

UK has BBC iPlayer, Irish does not

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

have you a friend in the uk? Get them to wrap it as a xmas present - value will be under the 45e threshold for a gift - "Gifts may be imported free of VAT and customs charges where the value of the gift (including insurance, freight and postage costs) is €45 or less and the gift is correctly electronically declared as such for customs purposes etc." - works for me -

Out of interest can you tell me are there any benefits to getting a firestick when I already have Sky Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the 3 main things I use my Firestick for are BBC iPlayer, NBC Sports (both via VPN) and All4 (which for some reason isn't on my smart TV and SkyQ doesn't have the full range of programs that the app has).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nod2022

Can I ask what vpn you use? One I paid for is useless for BBC iplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

As a heads up I just got an Amazon Fire kids tablet in Argos and the whole reason I bought it (parental controls for the kids) doesn't work in Ireland. The amazon parent dashboard redirects to https://parents.amazon.co.uk/countryNotSupported

As far as I can tell so far that makes adding apps etc. to the kids' profile impossible unless you implement a workaround with VPN and by changing your address to the UK. Needless to say that's janky. Might be worth researching other kids' tablet options to save yourself the hassle.

EDIT: Actually a VPN is not required. To get Amazon Kids and parental controls working in Ireland I did this:

1. Changed my default address to a UK address. I think you could make one up. I used an old Parcelmotel UK address that isn't even active anymore because Parcelmotel discontinued that service
    2. Connect to Amazon customer service on chat. Ask them to update the default address to the UK one. Note that even though I had done this myself in my Amazon account settings, I still couldn't access Amazon parental controls until I asked the Amazon chat support rep to do it for me. Also note during the chat they asked where I was currently and I told them Ireland.

The parental controls are good in fairness - I like that you can set it so the kid has to read for x minutes to get y minutes of app time.

Post edited by Caspero on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've 2 setup - SmartDNSProxy (who as the name suggests have both Smart DNS and VPN services, I think Getflix are the same company) and Private Internet Access (PIA). Both seem to work ok with iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

its exactly the same hardware - I used an Irish account when setting it up and bbc was missing so I just reset fire stick to defaults in the menus and used an amazon account that had my parcel motel address - and bbc player was installed.

still needs a vpn though of course. Getflix worked ok for me.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Did you pick those up in ROI Argos? Curious as I didn't think they sold them here. The kids fires are UK restricted probably for content licensing on kids+ or similar reason. I've been running two kids fire 8s for 5 yrs and only limitation is some content is geo blocked. I actually have traded in 1 of them now and ordered a new kids fire 10 pro but I had to drop it off in a Newry UPS collection point and the new tablet will be delivered to a mate who lives in NI. Trading in the old tablet gave me 20% off a new one plus a £10 voucher so with the BF sale price I paid £94 for the new kids Fire HD 10 pro. To get these working have a NI address as default on your amazon account and also go into device preferences and change the country region settings to UK. You should be able to use the majority of what the tablet does then even activate the kids+ subscription albeit it will geoblock some content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Anyone know if I get an amazon Kids tablet from the US can I register it to my Amazon UK account and activate the kids+ sub without any issues?

Is the Amazon.com set up and apps the same as those on an amazon tablet bought from Amazon UK?

Advertisement