Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I just read the heading so not involved in the debate.

Right, left, polarised, Trump, facist, bigot, lib, dem, woke . . .

Anyone else feel they are being played to be one side or the other, like there's no middle ground. That's where I sit & just meh at where I'm meant to be poked. But please poke away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I don't think children are allowed on the premises in hooters. The language used is drag performers. The look exactly the same as the club kind just tone down the costume a bit. I'm sure it would be fine for say Roy chubby brown to read to kids without any pushback knowing who he is.

Edit Did not see. Child pageants seem to be a very creepy American thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, until you hear further reporting, you are going to assume that his motivation was something that there is zero reporting about? Is that really what you are saying.

Mass shootings are political because, like any other danger to society, we should reasonably expect our elected representatives to be focused on finding a way to prevent them happening. Refusing to acknowledge the availability of and access to guns, and tying to not only deflect attention, but to predict further violence aimed at a particular community is something that needs to be called out and hopefully eventually stopped.

Also, if you want to go down the 'We don't know what happened, but let's pretend we do route', you should have a look at this guys grandfather being a MAGA republican and strong defender of access to guns, and the repealing of state laws by republican legislators which would have prevent this guy accessing an AR-15. Because there's a hell of a lot more evidence pointing in those directions, than him having been jilted at the club.

My dad was in the Army oddly I did not join them Children can be separate from a parent trying to join dots does not really work. Are we suggesting someone's father was a Jihadi and the son should be treated as such I bet it wont. The Guy seems to be non binary and mentally ill does not take a huge reach to get he may have been to the club and had a beef with it.

I am the OP, so I obviously have a strong opinion here. But, as you sit in the middle ground, consider what policies are more likely to directly harm you or your family and prevent you living the life that you feel is reasonable to expect you can live.

I laid out my position in the OP with examples of why I have the viewpoint I have, I'm interested in someone who sees themselves as centrist in challenging that viewpoint. I've never claimed Left to be perfect, to be holier than thou or anything like that, my point of the thread is that most of the significantly negatively impactful strategies that exist in the societies most of us live in, are developed with a right wing mindset, and as an aside, on this platform, (and others) the finger is instead being pointed at liberal ideals or individuals and we are being told that they are what the problem is.

Look at the front page of the Metro newspaper in the UK today for an example of this in microcosm.

Top half of the page, a celebration of an extremely wealthy subset of society that has had that wealth handed to them, and continually propped up by the support of the taxpayer.

Bottom half, the demonization of a union leader who is fighting for his members to get a reasonable deal in the face of rampant capitalist practices within the industry.

Aside, from the thread, what do you think of the dichotomy being displayed here?

• Advertisement

Happens in Ireland all the time unions with the hand out when they want more money. Using events to disrupt. The royals are recognised world wide odd that they would not be reported on. Not a fan. And the Metro is hardly a bastion of great reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

"Aside, from the thread, what do you think of the dichotomy being displayed here?"

I fully support Mick Lynch and the unions demands for better pay and conditions. Iv seem some of the interviews with him which the media tried a blatant hit job. That newspaper headline is trying to paint him as the bad guy too. All intentional, all funded by the wealthy that control everything.

You are trying to pigeon hole everyone where there are only two opinions and you are either with us or against us. You have fallen into the trap yourself.

Can you not see it? You even started an us v them thread!!

Among other things i support free healthcare, unions (I'm in one myself) and cannabis legalisation.

Wheres your pigeon hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What’s the T’s obsession with children?? It’s very creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I love Mick Lynch , fully Suport his position, he’s doing what his Union members expect and rightfully makes no apologies, wages in the uk aren’t great for a lot of folks

hes what a Labour Party leader or cabinet member would have been fifty years ago

• Advertisement

The founder of modern gender theory, John Money, openly expressed approval of certain forms of paedophilia. There are also a whole cohort of academics calling for paedophilia to be redefined as "minor attracted persons".

When you start breaking down societal barriers, we shouldn't be surprised that the extremists also want to have their share.

If some far-right ideology tried to impose some ridiculous race-based theory on children, I'm pretty confident I know what the reaction would be. Yet it seems that when the shoe is on the other foot, children can be used as foot-soldiers for the ideology.

I think both forms of using children as a means to spread an ideology are utterly contemptable.

The problem is that, today at least, the problem is emergent from far-left ideology.

Whose obsession?

Can you give examples of it?

The problem is that, today at least, the problem is emergent from far-left ideology.

Example please.

More examples of the issue with radical religion in the US today.

There is no ambiguity about these comments, they are specifically referring to an attack in which 5 people were murdered. This is not someone saying being gay is wrong and then there's a random attack on a gay person somewhere at some point later, these are unquestionably hateful comments aimed at a particular community.

Religious nutters being religious nutters who would have thunk.

Uk stories this week about a Tory peer earning 29M out of a covid contract for equipment that couldn't be used.

And for some reason, the Guardian's front page breaking the story did not make it to the BBC's 'The Papers' section. Funny that.

Wish we had investigative reporting here like this.

The post of mine, which you have just quoted, has just explained one of those (and one of many possible examples at that).

And back to the US and the relationships between people of various levels of significance and influence on the 'mood' in society.

And for those who don't know who Fuentes is.

This suggests that this isn't something that Trump can pass off as something he didn't actually do if trying to appear non-hateful at a later in election broadcasts or whatever.

And of course something else that unites these individuals is their experience in being banned by Twitter and then having these bans overturned by Musk although apparently Fuentes has been banned again. And that brings me to the final image that shows how impactful these people might be, and given the above, how troublesome that could end up being, this from the official Twitter account of the US Republican party House Representatives.

There could be a Phd written on this tweet and the actions of the individuals referenced within within the political environment of autumn of 2022. You could argue that it challenges Ernest Hemingway for the shortest story ever written.

That would be fine if they didn't end up as part of the legal team for a sitting US President.

That aside, which do you think is the greater issue, religious pastors preaching this message to their congregation, or children going to a book reading by a person in drag?

It doesn't answer the excerpt from your post that I referenced when asking my question.

What do you think about the Republican legislators actions in Tennessee, attempting to pass legislation removing the age requirement in order to get married, earlier this year?

• Advertisement

Can any of the people angry about drag shows specifically intended to show content to children respond to this post?

For sure.

It would be the equivalent of asking us to defend burlesque dancers attending to children's events on the basis that those events weren't explicitly sexual in nature.

Would you be in favour of burlesque events for children if those events weren't explicitly sexual in nature?

Would you be in favour of burlesque events for children that weren't explicitly sexual in nature?

I'd be fine with it. The biggest issue of what I think children are exposed to in that sort of environment is what goes on in beauty pageants. I think that is much more problematic than a book reading.

But again, to go back to my post, are there examples of drag shows being held where sexually explicit content was aimed at children? Because that is what was suggested was what people have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This!. The beauty pageant scene for small girls, pre pubescent, right up to teenage adults is just open air grooming

Trump being seen as a protector of children while he is known to have deliberately barged into changing rooms full of young girls knowing they'd be in various states of undress....

He's a total creep to the point where he engineered those scenarios where he could be in the position to have power over these girls who have parents who have severely messed up boundaries and aspirations for their kids to 'win' these competitions. It's not even hidden. It's done out in the open.

Any parent who enters their kids into a beauty pageant is a massive red flag. and they seem to be dominated by the MAGA types who think opposing the sexualisation of pre pubescent girls is 'woke' or 'anti american' or some other nonsense

You're missing the point.

Drag shows are inherently sexual in nature. I know, because I like them - and have been attending them for well over a decade. Diluting the role of the drag queen to say, "Well, the drag queen is just present with children and no crimes are being committed", is not good enough.

Drag is gay sexualised adult performance.

I like drag. I love it in fact, especially RuPaul's Drag Race.

But I don't believe that children should be exposed to either drag artists or burlesque artists - even if no explicit sexualisation is taking place. Drag artists and burlesque artists are by definition sexual performers. That's why they exist as performers. It's not for 9am ITV or BBC.

Children should not be involved with those performers, full stop. Period.

It's quite frankly shocking that this even needs to be stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭patnor1011

For a moment I thought you are talking about Jeffrey E and his pals Bill C & Bill G. 🤣

You're completely muddying the water there. 'Drag' can be a spectrum anywhere from a full on burlesque performance, to a kids pantomime which has been happening innocently for decades/centuries

Up until a few generations ago, all female roles in any plays were played by a man or boy dressed up as a woman/girl

It's quite frankly shocking that this even needs to be stated.

Please show evidence of shows being specifically aimed at children that contain sexual expression that is more explicit than what they see at bauty pageants, or on shows like America's Got Talent or whatever.

Because, I wouldn't want children exposed to overtly sexually explicit content. I suspect it has happened somewhat inadvertently where kids were brought to an adult show, which shouldn't have happened.

But the suggestion here is that the putting on of such shows, specifically aimed at children is a frequent occurrence. If so, please show evidence of it. Give you attend such shows often, I'm sure you will be able for us to find them for us if they are indeed happening. Because, for all the claims about it happening, I've yet to see evidence of it.

Its Equally fucked up if it's Bill Clinton, or Donald trump. Or anyone from any political 'spectrum' abusing those girls.

Where do those girls come from?

In the 'US 'heartlands' those girls seem to come from MAGA type households.

The abusers are absolutely abhorrent.

The parents who put those kids forward to become abused are almost as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Do you know why his MAGA grandfather thought he may be gay when he learned about the shooting?

Because in this case, no matter how hard you try to portray shooter as some right wing MAGA lunatic it seems that apple fell far from the tree. Shooter identifies as nonbinary and like to be addressed they/them. One can argue that it was not right wing attack on oppressed group but rather something else. It could very well be oppressed groups infighting or hurt feelings, lover quarrel... Possibilities are endless.

Advertisement