Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cuckoos family seem lovely, definitley of good stock, older girls well on thier way to a rose of tralee spot i would think.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To be fair, the Emma Watson video message was great. Autistic kids usually have something they are really passionate about/really good at. Harry Potter was obviously this girl's thing and that message will stay with her for the rest of her life. A lovely moment.

That documentary involving Sean Quinn will be interesting. Lot of interesting things starting to emerge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I was following the reddit thread rather than here, I spotted him as well wooing away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Looking forward to next year's show already! They will probably start talking about it by Tuesday :-(. Is Santa Claus dead as i don't think he got a mention, he seems to be gone the same way as religion at Christmas and the Xmas number one. At least there are great drinks offers in the supermarkets, oh wait ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Cuckoo clan and the book reviewers were my favourites.the type of kids i love teaching , you just know by them there so well bred. if only there were more kids like that

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy Woo Year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

A most enjoyable show. Felt like there was more focus on being happy, there were I think probably a lot more toys than recently despite the feedback. It was a bit lighter I felt with less of the deeply serious and sad moments, and while I appreciate its important to think of all, sometimes let's just be happy too. Toys from 20 years ago? What harm if they are enjoyed.

Well done! And have a good night all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Botton line is, it is not a Toy Show, but is constantly portrayed and pushed particularly by Ryan Tubridy as one for at least six months before it happens. Many posts here again tonight from parents saying their children are bored and disappointed that there are so few (almost none ) toys shown and demonstrated. It's just a childrens agenda driven fundraising variety show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

She mentioned the Irish Women’s Football Team about 4 times before they came on. Would have been a bit abstract to bring the hockey team on do you not think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mobius2021

I think it should be renamed the Late Late Kids Show or Late Late Variety Show or similar. Not much of a focus on toys for a long time for better or worse.

Yeah he seemed to have got the message to tone it down a bit, all to the good.

Is it just me or did they not do the segment where they bring in the younger kids to play with the toys earlier in the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It would likely be stratospheric for young kids tbf.

A demographic that I guess passed both me and you decades ago.

However, I can remember watching this show many years ago, and the last decent present I would have got was the previous Christmas. I'm sure that's not the case for kids nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

You're going to Oz

And you're going to Oz

And you're going to Oz

And you're going to Oz

And you're going to Oz

And you're going to Oz

Jeez..tis like what Leo says to the nurses when they graduate.

Billy Barry kids were also really fcuking annoying, we couldnt stand them when we were kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Agree. It lacked something. I don’t think this years show had a “YouTube” moment (for want of a better description) that the last few years have all had.

I think they need some fresh ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I was out getting a cup of tea!

Only reason I thought 9 was the full team was Ryan said at one stage "Not everyone is here, we have one more ... "

and the 9th girl came out ... so that's why I immediately thought it wasn't football.

We see how some are so bloody sensitive and assume everything is a racist/sexist/whatever-ist attack, as seen from my accent comment earlier on.

Anyway, nice kids tonight, not a lot of toys though ...

And Ryan seemed to tone it down a bit this year, he;s getting old, less of the Bolivian marching powder it seems - doctors orders ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

LLTS jumped the shark this year I feel. I think Toy Show the musical was a bad omen, they've made a monster of it and it's lost it's simple appeal. Very little focus on toys, or Christmas really for that matter. Nice to see kids with special needs and long term illness getting a moment in the spot light but at the same time there was a lack of typical salt of the earth kids who have character and give us all some laughs.

They're trying to up the ante every year now with the theme and the production and it's losing the simplicity that made it special... regular kids playing with the best toys of the year. Hoping that it resets to a simpler setup at some stage so that my future kids can enjoy it like I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah I'm disappointed this year, and no I'm not a moaner really enjoyed last years.

Could do without appeal element bur like others said at least this year not loads of sob stories and Ryan was a lot calmer.

More toys and less singing next year would be better.

• Advertisement

If you thinkbthat's bad practically every second comment on the /r/ireland mega thread was a cocaine joke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We got the world famous double finger point in the promo material. Everything else is just a sideshow after that. Such talent, such grace, such a wonderful finger pointer, the man can do it all.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Still thinking of that poor fella getting a guided your of a parked up aeroplane at dublin airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not a great show at all. Tubridy is really self indulgent from overplaying the puns at the start to the musical interlude they always force in.

It was embarrassing what they done to the Ukranian girl, speak Irish go on... and ye're best friends, isn't that lovely you've opened your house to them ... anyway here's 4 munster jerseys in size Large and you can stand and watch the players warm up on a freezing night.

Emmie ... here's a 10 minute gig and a surprise worth 10k.

You watch the Toy shows for the toys, it was that way ore Celtic Tiger too, let's all pretend Tubridy isn't taking a pay cut and earns 7 figures a year and RTE will still be chasing thr licence fee.

Hopefully back to some bit of form next year.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They literally spoke about how she loves watching the women's soccer team before Ryan introduced them all, so don't bullshit me with the hockey analogy.

You know exactly what you were doing there, so don't be a coward and just own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Maybe, next year they could do style sort of show, that shows what toys are available... Maybe review the toys.

I dunno.. maybe something toy related.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mobius2021

Better than recent years but that's not saying much.

His Sonic jumper got my nostalgic for the old video game section they used have back in the old days. Think that Dub Kevin used to pop up there once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It has become a cross between Jim will fix it and some of those variety shows from the 70s. (The Jim will fix it comparison in terms of kids getting nice trips or meeting their heroes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was happy enough with that.

It wasn't overly emotionally compared to other years. Sometimes it was overdone in my opinion but it was nice for the kids.

The theme wasn't overdone either and they did have a Christmas song.

The amount of toys they showed was as good as it gets.

Special guests were average enough. Emma Watson's meant a lot to Catriona. I do think they could have pulled a singer out of the bag tough and a few others.

I did feel sorry for the girl who got that stupid trophy for the dolls house design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭mikeecho

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement