Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Next time Ronaldo is questioned at a press conference he should be asked how he feels about being loved by so many kids across the world, while at the same time being a cheat, and showing them such a bad example, and does he not feel any sense of responsibility - even to his own kids watching their father.

Hope he blows a penalty over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fox were really pushing this game last evening on the Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants Thanksgiving game.

No wonder most Americans don't give a s**t about soccer after watching that.

Plenty of college football games on today that would wipe the floor with it for entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Conservative is his middle name.

Seemingly he's a party animal on the sly though

Southgate is going to get caned when they go out

😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If James wasn't injured TAA probably wouldn't have even made it to Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't see how a sport that had to set a maximum 3hr time limit because of all the stoppages could wipe the floor with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We may not get it, but Americans love their own football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Regular season college football is normally 2/2.5 hours start to finish. Not much different to the group World Cup games in truth, 45 Minute halves plus 8 to 10 minutes injury time plus a 15 minute halftime break. College football is massive in the US, bigger than NFL - most of the world's top 10 biggest stadia capacity wise are US college football stadia, and they are generally full from September to December. There is generally a local element to it, as well as strong past student groups who travel back to games in their Alumi regularly. Fans in most cities are exposed to it at a high level, its very traditional in relation to a relatively young country like the USA which doesn't have many traditions that are over 100 years old (well.... Not many that they can openly celebrate anyway😉)

Of it's not your thing, fair enough - but you ought to try to understand how and why it's strong before poo pooing it and why others might enjoy it. It is a big obstacle to the hearts and minds of many US sport fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice header for Australia there, cross took a wicked deflection so odd flight and Duke did well to adjust and direct it to far corner. Largely the better team but came at good time for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'll be amazed if Tunisia finish the game without getting someone sent off.

The header for the Australia goal was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

In fairness each to their own. I wouldn't be able to sit through a rugby game watchimg inceasingly pumped up lads mauling each other for 80 minutes. Likewise I can't get my head around cricket or golf for that matter. Even F1, which I used to watch, is pretty monotonous these days

Its strong for the same reasons almost every sport is strong.

Because it's the one that area grew up with. Its nothing to do with entertainment factor.

To paraphrase Eamonn Dunphy 'if you want entertainment, go to the pictures'.

It's very subjective - different strokes for different folks, just because you don't understand the attraction doesn't mean it's not entertaining to a lot of people. Approaching these things with an open mind often broadens one's horizons - personally although having no links to either place, I'll be watching the Buckeyes play the Wolverines in front of 110000 people in The Big House this evening, and throwing an odd eye on Dänemark /France. Don't mock it until you try it 😁. I don't know if my heart could stand the intense entertainment of 4 games like this Aus/Tunisia snooze fest today.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think the reason a lot of the world may not care about college football outside of america is that it doesn't seem to be much of a meritocracy and the fact that there is a lot of human intervention in deciding who plays the biggest games end of year (yes I know there's a lot of data going into that) but it's odd.

The games themselves are entertaining, but so much of them seem meaningless to the uninformed.

I do understand the attraction. All I was saying is this American held idea of soccer being boring compared to their sports is bollix.

A better level of entertainment/excitement is not the reason why US sport does better than soccer in the US.

Anyway, back to the soccer, two very limited sides in show here, Tunisia dross in the first half, a little more lively in the second half but no real quality in show. Mooy looks the best footballer on the field, which says a lot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Tunisia have been woeful to watch. Never looked like scoring in two games. Diving to the ground too easily. They won't be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Southgate reminds me a lot of Brian Kerr when he was with Ireland.

A quietly spoken very knowledgeable ‘football man’ with a fantastic record most of their contemporaries can only dream of, bar a few. They are an easy target because their approach to football is conservative and results based.

Yet they are still unfavourably compared to those few ‘more successful managers’ of their respective teams - Charlton - McCarthy1 (ROI) and Ramsey (England).

I would argue that Southgate and Kerr are/were the best tactical managers either country has had. As both managers approach to the game meant better teams rarely beat them handy. And poorer teams never won against them. A set up which is ideal for tournament football.

Kerr (disgracefully IMO) was not given more chances to qualify for senior tournament football. Likewise I think the criticism Southgate gets is equally harsh look at the fellas record! All the criticism seems perception based.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

France in the last game doesn't bode well for a heroic exit or even a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think the criticism will be there for Gareth until they can beat the teams around their level more often. They have a final and semi final to their name, but with their respective paths in each, I think the only decent side they beat were a particularly poor Germany? Lost to Italy, Belgium twice, and Croatia.

And that image of not being able to compete with the big teams was really strengthened by the last Nations League… they always blitz through qualifying when they’re the big dogs, but in a nations league campaign of relatively similar teams they were abysmal. (Not that nations league matters thaaat much, but it doesn’t help). So I think a lot of people would point towards Gareth’s conservatism and see that as him not getting everything out of his strongest players, who are all attacking. Which is a fair enough point.

I understand those points but Southgate is very close to success with his approach. How many times in the past have we seen good English teams let down by gung ho arrogance?

The Italians played a similar conservative approach to Southgate and they won a Euros because of it. When you could argue most would have picked other teams ahead of the Italian side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised the Aussies picked up the win. That was a brilliant header to win it.

Saudis not going to win again, surely? I'll go Poland by 2 goals. Lewandowski to get his World Cup goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tournamnet football is different though. First task is to get out of the group and you Adapt as results change. Southgate does that well. Conservative last night, a draw was quite a good result in essence, because they won their first game so well. Had they lost the first game, the last 30 minutes could well have been different. Once they get to the knock out stage, he will continue to be conservative as it has served him well.

His problem will arise when they need to go for it. Transforming to all out attack by bringing off his defensive players for his far more offensive players could well see them go further behind or stay in the tournament. That 'Gamble' will nearly be a last resort for him, such is his conservatism but it is when England could play some very entertaining attacking football before going back to the basics Southgate prefers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

RTE's coverage has generally been the better option. But your ones voice on co commentary now is too hard on my ears. Time to change over.

20 minutes in and Poland have more yellow cards than attempts. Cash needs to be careful.

Could easily have walked already, going leading in with an elbow like that was very risky. Poland aren't good at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

SA well on top, Poland being their usual crap at major finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Her voice is like a cheese grater grating coarse sandpaper. I have the volume on mute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Poland haven't shown much in this half but now find themselves ahead.

Zielinski with the breakthrough. Nicely worked goal from Poland. Best thing they've done this half.

How is that a penalty? Soft as anything I've seen.

JUSTICE! Get in, Szczesny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not a penalty to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And now Saudi Arabia are awarded a farcical penalty 😬

Which is saved! Delighted.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's more a peno than Ronaldos at least

Harsh penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s the worst penalty decision I’ve seen yet.

Some would say justice done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

saved, justice served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hate that keeper but a great double save to be fair.

Goalkeeper was a bit of the line for the penalty. Meh. Good double save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s right up there among the greatest saves I’ve ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Rebound save is exceptional

Didn't realise Szczesny made the follow-up save too. Outstanding goalkeeping.

Was Szczesney off the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Probably but the lad who hit the rebound was in the box before penalty kick. Never a pen anyway.

Milik nearly makes it 2. Great effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

What a howler from the Saudi defender

2 nil , game over now

Gift wrapped on a plate. 2-0.

Lewandoski gets his goal.

Did somebody predict 2-0 for Poland here?

That's the game. Can't mess around like that with Lewandowski nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well you can't be passing the ball to a player like that. Good think he knew he could score as if he went down it was a red card

• Advertisement
Advertisement