Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’d love you to cite the law for me as it does not exist generally. There are very few debts in the U.K. failure to pay which would amount to a criminal offence (being generally tax, a court penalty or failure to meet a court order). For a simple invoice, utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭straight

I guess alot of the new regs are to prevent guys like him from buying in the first place. I have friends like that and I often envy how care free they are as they bungle through life.

I know plenty young people getting with life. Buying/building houses, getting married, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And now you pick up the dishonesty point from my earlier note! Failure to pay simpliciter is not a criminal offence it needs a dishonesty element. At least you’ve now realised it!

Jeez, you have it tough lad. Where do you find time for the phone. 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No I'm perfectly fine. I'm sorted. Thanks for your concern gramps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

A pregnancy over 35 Is classified as a geriatric pregnancy. I know plenty that missed the boat. 5 years is definitely not an eye blink. Meet someone and then say after two years decide they are the one. Save for a year for a wedding and then another five for a house, that's 8 years. Start at 32, oh no, sadly turns out you're 40 now and one of the many too old to have kids at that age. Save for IVF, you've missed the boat.

What happens if there's an emergency, sick parent, accident, etc. and you have to dig into your savings?

For too many it's too difficult now.

I started saving from my first paycheck. I'd save 15k a year on my own no bother. Get the house sorted because once children come along there is no more saving.

What's the gramps about? I'm 42, practically a millennial myself.

Thanks for the exchange of views today lads. No doubt alot of people finding it difficult. I don't come on here to antagonize or upset anyone but I just thought I'd share my own lived experience in the hope that it might help someone.

Few lads a bit touchy alright, you couldn't open your mouth but you would be accused of avocado.

I'll leave ye with one bit of advice which I got years ago and sadly I didn't listen to it.

"Throw down the deposit as soon as you can and be paying away".

I thought I could time the market. Was waiting for the drop, house prices doubled in the meantime. Eventually bought near the top of the market after my girlfriend insisted.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair, you are lecturing younger people about avocado toast and saving money.

In 1999 the average rental price in Ireland was about 500 pounds per month according to the CSO. When the first minimum wage was brought in soon afterwards, it was about a fiver an hour.

Why do I mention that? Well because earlier in the thread you said that back then you were in a job earning 12,500 a year. Which was only slightly over the subsequent minimum wage. Yet you were sharing a house with "4 other pissheads" where you were paying 300 pound per month. A fair assumption is that it was an even split and you were together paying 1,500 pounds total per month for the house. In other words renting a house which cost 3X the average price.

Imagine someone coming on here and saying there were now earning just slightly above minimum wage but then said they were renting a house that was three times the average rental cost.............but sure if they just cut out the avocados they'd be able to go on to buy multiple houses........ Basically someone on a minimum wage job sharing a 5k+ per month house with 4 other people. Renting a house out in leafy D4 or similar.

(Ignoring that you later say that you were easily saving 15k a year from your first paycheck. Which is a good trick given that you'd have had only 8,900 left over after just your rent)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I remember trying to buy a car during 2008. April/ May that year the car stocks were starting to rise exponentially. I was looking a 4 year cars that were 70% of first day value. The second hand market was as crazy as now. Everything's was borrowed from a CU or PCP.

I went one day to see a car and I asked the sales man the price. I said it's was crazy that a 3 year old car was 70%of the new price. He asked how how much I had to spend/could affords. The asking price on a 3 year old Nissan Primera was 15k (about 21k new at the time).

I remember my reply to him. I can afford 20k( I did not have that kind of money) but I am only willing to pay 12k for that car.

I bought a three year old Avensis in August for 11.5k ( they were touching 17k at that stage of the year)

The reason people may have 6,8 or 12k to buy a car for cash is that they have foregone spending it elsewhere.

They do not go out for meals in Restaurants as often, they do not go on holiday as often, they do not use taxi's, they do not go to a hairdresser ever fortnight or a barber ever 3-4 weeks. They wear clothes for longer, they do not change phone every 18 months.

They do not spend crazy money on presents, or think that money is needed to mark an occasion.

Neither do they have Avacoda on toast.

The problem for some people is perception. There is still property bought for relatively ok money. But it's not in the location they think they are entitled to.

Ya there is a serious issue in Dublin. But that issue is not going to change. If you want to live there and have access to all it offers then you have to stump up. The reason being is that we are very short of building workers and 50% of them.have to travel in and out of Dublin every day and they are not going to do that for 7-800/week

Slava Ukrainii

How much are people spending on these avocados? Are they the new cocaine? Is it a few hundred quid per week?

I mean isn't this the world where it's not worth a labourer's while getting out of bed an hour earlier to commute to Dublin unless he's getting something like an extra 800 quid a week on top of what he can get locally? Surely he could bother his arse to get up an hour earlier, get that extra 800 quid and use it to buy maybe one or two of the magic little green items per week?

Slava Ukrainii

Filling potholes? No.

On one hand you say that it's not worth a labourers effort to commute to Dublin for work unless he earns an additional 800 a week to cover his commute.

And on the other hand you criticise people, many of whom probably earn less than 800 a week total, and many of whom have to do the same commute to Dublin every day, for not being able to to buy a house because of avocados.

There is a bit of a disconnect there.

Never mentioned toast myself.

I was earning 12500 pounds + shift plus second job. There was alot of large payrises shortly after I started. Like 15% one year, 7-8% the following year. That's how much our house cost to rent in cork city. I was paying a bit more for the ensuite.

I was saving 15k euro a year before I got married and had kids in 2008. Started putting away money from my first paycheck and built it up over time. Had 50k saved when I applied for my first mortgage in 2006. Also drank the sh1t out of it in my 20's and travelled the world. No skin off my nose if you don't want to believe me.

I don't disbelieve you. But would you get a mortgage to buy that house now, at the price you bought it, given your savings at the time plus what you were earning at the time of application?

50k isn't a lot. I had that saved when I finished fulltime education (albeit I spent a few years as a postgraduate). But I recognise that not everyone had my own circumstances. I'd say it's more usual for people to come out at 22/23 with 5 figures in debt and then into a fairly low paying job to kick off. I'd doubt many of them are renting in houses that are 3X national average rent.

I'm sure that SSIA gave you a bump up too

(Average rent in Cork is 1,448 Euro now for Cork city. That's under 1,150 punts. Which is still less today than you were paying in 1999. Not saying you are wrong, just that you must have been living the high life in a fancy spot)

Be careful with averages.

You tell me if I'd get the mortgage. House was 350k for 3 bed semi. 100 percent mortgage. I was earning about 45k I'd say. Girlfriend was earning about 35k I'd say.

I was living the high life alright. I guess you would call our rental a HMO in all but name. The landlord used to call around for the cash once a month. It would have been alot cheaper to rent a full house to ourselves maybe. We had different things on our mind back in our early 20's. My friends moved us into this fine new house with a couple of girls and I wasn't too impressed compared to the cheap bargain we had before it. Now, the house we had beforehand was a fair kip (didn't even have a shower until we fitted our own).

You would have some job to find a house to let in cork now. Mine is let for 1100 euro and I'm plagued by people looking for it.

That is the point though. You were able to "live the high life" but still get onto the property ladder.

Most people of that age today can't do that. And not because of avocados. I wouldn't like to be in their position if things stay the same.

Someone of 45k today would not be granted a 100% mortgage to buy a 350k property. My understanding is, either with an exception or under the upcoming new rules, they'd be allowed a max mortgage of 180k. (4X). We'll assume you needed the 50k for fitting out the place and other expenses. But the corresponding 26 year old today would need your 50k plus another 170k to buy that same property.

I never mentioned avocados. I don't know what your fascination is with them.

We spent our money on drink, drink and more drink. No fancy fashion, no fancy PCP's, no fancy tech, no cafés, no fancy restaurants. In fact, the cafés and restaurants barely existed compared to the number of them today. Any hols or trips away were v basic cheap accommodation to save money for drink.

Might get 300k for that house today if I sold it. Should get 400k to get my money back according to inflation.

Houses are cheaper now and wages are higher. I was up to 60k before I left that job in 2017.

• Advertisement

We were earning about 80k between the two of us. Fitted the place out for 10k. Did alot of the work myself.

People don't drink as much these days as they did back then. And when they do, it is more common to have a few drinks at home. I don't know why a fiver spent on a pint is better than a fiver spent on a sandwich. (Or whatever a pint costs these days).

If there is one thing I remember as being synonymous with the mid-2000's it was the famous breakfast roll. Never mind grabbing a sandwich at lunch. People too lazy to make a breakfast. But being handed out credit hand over fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

This is the Softening house market? thread not the housing chat thread...ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Good for you. However, my point stands. Too difficult for to many now and especially those that do not qualify for hap but earn less than 100k.

We have a have a home (about half through the mortgage) and were hoping to move, that's why I'm here. However, I look at some younger people in good jobs, don't drink, late thirties and still paying off university loans with the biological clock ticking down rapidly.

Just because it worked okay for you, doesn't mean it's going the same way for those behind you generationally. There's a cohort that work hard but are just not getting the breaks to get on the property ladder and are essentially locked out of society to a large degree. and I think that's wrong.

To summarize, you got drunk, put a shower head on a bath, moved somewhere fancy in cork and got a mortgage and now think that everyone should be able to do same by saving €50 a week. Great point and let's get back on topic

Back to softening, we've come out the worse bidding where it increased 120k more than first bid, not seeing the softening.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Any chance we can get back to the market?

Estate I live on just outside Cork City usually has two to three house for sale pretty much constantly for the last few years. On daft now theres 7 houses for sale, a combo it appears of a lot coming to market and many that came out earlier but still not sold.

If I was buying in my estate I could now bid on 4 similar properties right now instead of just one option, means I’d almost certainly get a better deal than six months ago with the optionality.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I see extra houses coming up in Tralee on Daft for sale as well but looks like a share of houses droping off as fast .Are landlords chancing their arm as the market is strong at the moment and if they get high asking price will sell or else they just keep on letting out the house .

It's not about filing potholes working on the road is travelling to and from work2hours per day. That is what a lot of building workers do in Dublin. You get out of bed at 5.30 in the morning grab a cut of tea and a slice of toast.

Get your wet gear that is drying somewhere. You then hop in your van and start driving to arrive on site at ten to eight. You are on that site for nine hours with probably two half hour breaks. If you have a one hour break for lunch the starting time or finishing time is adjusted by 30 minutes.

In summer the car or van is cooking, in winter you leave it wet and cold half the time to hop. onto a van and face a the same two hour journey. You arrive home at maybe 7pm have the dinner and a shower do a couple of thing with the kids and head for bed at 10pm.

Why do lads not stay up there because they will be across various sites so even staying in or around Dublin will incur travelling time anyway. As well van security. You cannot park a work van with a couple of grand in tools and equipment on the side of a street in Dublin. As well an average building workers consumes 4-5k calories a day. If you are staying in accomodation in Dublin you will end up buying a lot of that grub cooked.

Mostly travelling in and out is costing 250 minimum per week. Sharing it with another lad is 125gone every week. So the extra 800/week is taxed at the high rate you will end up with slightly less than the 400/week. 125 is gone in travel expenses.

You will probably want something hot at least once during the day so that is probably 40-50/week or else grab a coffee on the way home.

Some will be very disciplined. The spouse/partner will have a good bit of there grub prepared every evening. This is mostly where this person only works part-time. The labourer will have access to some of her tax credits and this will maybe bring up his take home by 150-200/week

But if you think you will take on that lifestyle for anything less you are welcome.

People have choices but many turn around at 30ish after working 6+ years and are living with someone. They have drifted through there twenties and have no savings. They want a lifestyle but have no plans. The clock is ticking.

There was only one stage where it was relatively easy to buy a house as a single person and that was in the noughties. Even then it was not as easy as many think. Most ended up buying apartments that they got stuck with and are still in negative equity.

In Limerick this week's there was three two bed apartments sold for 119k,121k and 132k at auction on youbid in a fairly decent development.

Ya it was an auction and you had to solve that conundrum but there is solutions out there. But even as a single person there is solutions

Slava Ukrainii

My point was that one one hand, it's not worth, say, 750 Euro to one person just to compensate them just for their commute from Kinnegad (or wherever) to Dublin, but on the other hand another non-labourer person who commutes from Kinnegad to Dublin for work and earns only 750 a week total should be able to stop buying avocados and save to buy a house on it.

The labourer has a choice he can get a job in Kinnegad paying 750-800/week on a building site. The lad or lassie commuting in and out of Dublin can they get a job paying similar wages with the same longterm prospects.

My son is in Dublin. He could have got a job locally that would have paid 10k less taxable.in Dublin he is paying nearly 10k after tax for accommodation. However his prospects are much better. He got a 10-12% pay rise this year he would have been lucky to get half that in Limerick.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That's sidestepping the point. The non-labourer commuting to Dublin is expected to pay for their commute, their living expenses and save for a house on their 800 a week. If not, then they are lazy/spending their money on sh1te.

Whereas for the labourer, they need 800 just for the commute or else it's somehow not worth their while. Surely the labourer should also cut down on avocados and put some of the 800 towards an investment in a house or else they are lazy? Even at that they'd only have the pay for commute + house because they also have the other money for living expenses. So they'd still be better off than the non-labourer who is expected to do that plus all their living expenses on that money.

You have to agree that it is a bit of a disconnect.

I'm not disagreeing with your point about prospects. But when people are criticising younger people, they do so based on what they are earning/spending/not-saving today based on their current income and expenses. Not on prospective future income. They are told that it is the avocados and that "in my day I went without shoes to buy a house" rather than acknowledging that many are going through shorter term hardship in order to leave themselves in a better position long term.

You even state yourself that your own son is probably currently financially worse off in the short term in order to improve future prospects. That wouldn't have been the case 30 years ago. If you got a job in the city back then you'd have had more disposable income than staying locally. Will he be in the position, like the other poster, to buy a 350k house at 26? (as the poster pointed out, CPI would scale that to 400k today). If not, is it because of his fondness of avocados? Or laziness? Or just a changed environment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement