Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wasn't there a Lego section relatively early in the show? The guy who was into liverpool?

Granted it was short but kids who are into Lego or even who aren't yet into it don't need the LLTS to tell them about it

The reviews are in.

I have to say I’m mainly in agreement with the article. I stopped watching the show about 1115 last night- I’d had enough and left before yet another musical number where Ryan was the star. The first hour was probably the best hour in my view- it was pacey, kids were center stage - after that it lagged quite a lot and got bogged down in too much Ryan stuff.

I don’t care what it’s called, it’s not a toy show- it’s an entertainment show- featuring many talented kids-and possibly a lot of kids are quite disappointed this morning because they were expecting toys naturally enough- and there were very little of those sadly.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/late-late-toy-show-review-the-kids-are-always-fantastic-but-as-a-production-its-repetitive-its-time-for-a-reboot-42175083.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The grumpy librarian kid was the best out that programme 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I hate Ryan Tubridy hosting the Toy Show. His attempts to be funny are not funny, his 100 miles an hour speed through everything is annoying. When a child is showing a toy he always has to mess it up so you don't actually get to see what the toy does. The man is not funny! I don't think he has any rapport with kids - he has to be over the top silly with the kids which ruins the show

The singing and dancing is overdone on the show. There was just too much of this last night which most kids actually find a bit boring.

The best bits of the show was cuckoo's nest and the grumpy librarian.

Also I thought there was alot less toys in the studio last night. Other years it was packed out with toys.

The fact that some kids last night got holidays etc and others walked away with nothing was downright mean. The girl that got the cardboard home of the year award - she should have thrown it at tubridy!

My view is that the toy show was alot better years ago - it was about reviewing toys and toy demos. My kids seen no toys reviewed last night or no toys actually close up. For the toy show to survive it needs a new presenter. Tubridy needs to go!

Can I ask you, did your kids have high expectations of seeing toys? And what did they think of the show as a result?

If they did, then IMHO, the show ultimately failed as the target audience primarily is the kids- yes the parents fund the toys but it's the kids this show is designed for.

I think last nights show was actually designed for adults- lot's of cute moments to be sure- but kids don't respond to cute moments - they respond to toys.

And even as a kid, musical numbers were the things that got in the way of the toys and i couldn't wait for them to end, so i could see more toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

The 6 year gave it a 5 out of 10 this morning, just not funny he said.

In contrast he loved last year's show.

Honestly, I do think there's a bit of "Old man yells at cloud" and "things were better in my day" throughout this thread.

Kids literally see toys EVERY day. They can see any toy they want at the touch of a button and a full 3-20 minute review on a lot of toys assuming they are online (which many are)

You might have watched the show with the expectation of seeing wall to wall toys (there was never wall to wall toys) but no doubt "back in my day" there were more toys on the show but to expect the same level of toys on the show based on when you were young is to forget that times have changed.

There are still toys, but they are there to create the foundation/talking points for the show.

Again, my three kids were entertained which is ultimately why we engage with the medium. If you want information on a specific toy, you don't need to be entertained to to so. The kids will go and look up the toy. Simple as.

That doesn't mean the Toy show is "past it" - it's evolved and while again you cannot keep everyone happy all of the time.

I am not sure if you are facetious here but if you wanted to see more toys (unlike the seventies, eighties, nineties) you can see them at the touch of a button. Hell, if you wanted to see far better "toy reviews" than they ever did on this show, look at one of a multitude of YouTube channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yep the kids expected to see more toys - they are less interested in the singing and dancing other than the intro. They were disappointed with the show. They lost interest half way through because it was boring them.

I agree with you it was more adult focussed than kids. I also agree with other posters in there was nothing christmasy about the show other than the Christmas jumpers.

My kids wanted toys and less taking, to be fair

Ah I get that- and I've previously mentioned in the thread that the whole reason for a Toy show is long since redundant, for the reasons you've pointed out.

As a result, would it not be better to call it something different? Kids of say 6 -9 which I imagine this show is the main target audience, naturally enough, would have an expectation that a Toy show, would be about toys, Shirley?

• Advertisement

You've loads of people here who are saying that their own kids were saying not enough toys. Mine included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Emmet, it really seems like the majority of the thread, the majority of reddit, the majority of twitter; and crucially, the majority of the newspaper reviews disagree with you.

Feic this site, I still haven't learned to multi quote but really,

@[Deleted User] @Deeec @appledrop - your above posts say it all really- my view as an adult counts for little but "out of the mouths of babes" .

I don't know why any organisation would burn decades of history and PR by renaming the show to be honest, when you still need "something" as the foundation of the show and I (and kids) thought there was a good balance last night.

I mean the show itself isn't that Late anymore (relative to US late night talk shows) - would they rename it?

Fair enough. I don't believe this forum or indeed this thread are reflective of the majority of people that tune in (and will tune in again next year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

You can watch plenty of singing and dancing from musicals on YouTube too. The show is aimed at adults. The young comedian owned Tubridy at the end by saying RTE stands for Ryan Tubridy Everywhere. He couldn't stand to let anyone else have the stage for more than a few seconds. It's utterly vile.

Indeed you can and I didn't say you couldn't - the show is competing with a hell of a lot more than in did a decade or decades ago yet still appears to be doing okay (from a viewership standpoint) - not that that is a barometer of anything tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

Re toys on the Toy Show.

I feel the show is geared more towards parents (musical bits, dancing, background stories) as actual toys barely make an appearance.

Kids do have the world at their fingertips but RTE appear to have no idea how to keep kiddy eyeballs on their flagship kids show.

They need to be more punchy and YouTubey with the toy bits. I'm sure the team who work on this round the year could be able to source a few big toy sensations for set pieces and fill out the rest of the show with decent value great toys within reach of the pockets of most of the country, if there's one thing the anklebiters know it's what's crap and what's not in toyworld.

There's plenty of time over nearly 3 hours to have a few Billy Barryesque two minute segments and also give a nod to kids less fortunate in hospital etc and they could source some guests who most of the kids watching would know/follow.

And they could start the thing at least an hour earlier and have a bit more Christmassy feel to it.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Yes, there's a lot more competition. They've carved out a niche by turning it into a big event. I thought Tubridy was a bit better last night in fairness.

Strangely enough all the views of adults.

Strangely enough all the views of kids.

Looks like the kids or adults (based on small subsections) didn't enjoy the show for one of a few reasons.

It's a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If its aimed at kids why on earth is it on so late ? Honestly 9:30 till 11:50 is far too late . Why not start at 8 and put the news on RTE2 for one night ? Most kids who watch this are under 10 and dont last till the end anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Someone mentioned Blippi earlier, Blippi would be absolutely fantastic to host a show like this. For those who don't know Blippi (and if you don't have young kids you likely don't), he's a YouTuber whose content is aimed at kids. He's very natural, and amazing with kids....and kids love him. His videos are educational and entertaining - and even though there's a giant commercial marketing machine behind him selling his products and "merch" it's still much more natural than the RTE effort.

YouTube is what kids watch these days, not TV. The format is very different to traditional TV and with that in mind RTE have lost the battle (and the kids hearts and minds) before the show even starts. The Toy Show is jaded, tired, and out-dated. Even calling it The Toy Show is misleading, because it's not about toys.....hence why children get bored with it. If you tell a child they're going to watch the TOY show, they expect toys....not singing and dancing and stupid puns and Mrs. Brown etc. How many kids under 10 know who Mrs. Brown is let alone watch it? The Toy Show is trying too hard to please everyone - esp. adults - who should not be the target audience at all. And as for the host making hmself front and centre of everything...well, I think that's been discussed enough.

Even filtering out the cranks, apparent child haters, and misogynists there's ample evidence that it didn't land with majority of kids here and my social feeds.

As my 5year old, having said too much talking, was getting into bed she wondered why it wasn't as much fun as last year

Both kids asked why no toys. I know they have YouTube but they wanted the whole experience of staying up late, hot chocolate, Toy Show PJs, and some toys. It's not like we bah humbug this, it's an event in our house

Toy bit fell down I'm afraid. I liked the rest but this is an event for them. They got the balance wrong

I wouldn't disagree with that - if only to try it out - the Christmassy feel is definetly missing.

Yeah, look. Fair enough.

5 years olds and kids in general I would add, have far higher expectations, far lower attention spans and a lot more to compare with than "our own" experience of the same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Time keeper is watching on RTE player, additional injury time is down to adverts and buffering.

Oh don't go there on the "Christmassy" thing- we had that conversation at the start of the thread if you care to look back (I really wouldn't if I were you) -apparently Christmas is not "inclusive" enough these days so we don't mention the "C" word anymore !!!!

The show is just over-inflated at this stage- it's over complicating the whole thing - the purpose of the Toy show was to entertain 6-9 year olds, with mainly toys. If one was serious about keeping up with the times, then the bravest decision would be to cancel it, because as many have said, the purpose for which it served admirably for many years, has long since gone, that is, for kids to demonstrate to other kids, facilitated by a presenter, the latest and greatest toys.

These days, the show wants to "enchant" them and "mesmerise" them - no, that's likely what Toy Show the musical might do (although I'll bet a lot of 6-9 year olds will be bored at that show too)- it's completely lost its way - it's trying to please everyone and ends up annoying many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Judging by the length of the ad breaks and the duration of the individual ads, it's clear that the Late Late kids variety show is a HUGE moneyspinner for Ryan Tubridy ,Everywhere - their equipment of the Super Bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well people will 'complain' about the toy thing, since the show is heavily promoted as The Toy Show!!

From a marketing point of view I agree - it's not an advertising show case for toy companies anymore. In fact you could observe that the only guaranteed way to have your product mentioned is to do the 'one for everyone in the audience' thing. That ensures a mention and you can be quite sure the shows producers and advertisers sell this as such. Which of course limits exposure to the big boys with deep pockets or the state like Fáilte Ireland using your and my taxpayers money to give €200 to 'everyone in the audience'.

It's a light entertainment show with your chief host Ryan Tubridy with a cast of various children. And Ryan is in nearly every shot, maybe he has to be there as continuity but he could stand back a bit more too. Doubtless there is some ad lib but a lot also looks pre rehearsed.

Whatever it is, it ain't no toy show anymore so RTE should be held up to the fire.

• Advertisement

I mean, all good points, and I don't envy the producers of the Toy Show because that's likely at the forefront of their minds too. But if you alienate the target audience, (and I think they have this year), then you've saved up a whole heap of trouble for next year- if the six year old was disappointed this year with the show, having been wound up with the build up to it, will they be as excited next year? Absolutely not- and that's not good. If that six year old, next year says-"The toy show is boring- I'm going to bed"- an RTE producers nightmare 😀

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement