Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountability amongst the upper echelons of the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Assuming SF get into government, I'd guess that they will find any attempts at meaningful change will be stymied unless the first reform they carry out is at the top levels of the civil & public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

AFAIK it is common in many countries for a new government to appoint the whole upper management of the department they run. Clearly at a lower i.e. non-decision-making levels, people are kept on as they are merely cogs in the engine.

We use the English system that was left to us at independence. But our system has one major difference from the English/British civil service: prior to independence, our civil service was run for the class that came over with Cromwell, and who mostly no longer live here, as a great many of them sold their land under the late 19th century land acts to the tenant farmers and invested the proceeds elsewhere. Much of our civil service seems to act as though they are still working for the people who came over with Cromwell, and have to keep the Paddies in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

There is a very simple solution that 400,000 Irish people wont like.

Make a public sector workers vote count as half one vote.

The people that are taxed to pay for the running of the country should have more say at the ballot box than those who take their taxes, form massive unions that are "friendly" with each other, and vote en masse such that they can effectively vote in (& out) the entire govt.

Any govt Minister that would seek to reform them would find themselves out of office in short order eg Nurses/Teachers/Garda strike & RTE backing the unions propaganda as they get paid from the same source.

Heck those groups threaten strikes all the time just get their pay bumped up outside of pay agreements. National debt? They dont care.

Weighted voting - simplez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, what will happen is that their idiotic ideas will have real figures (not their own fantasy ones) put against them and they will have to come up with the solutions for the hole they'll blow in the public finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

I don't mean to attack ordinary public servants. My focus is on the upper echelons, the Robert Watts and his ilk , the pigs of Animal Farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And this uninformed and irrational thinking is a good reason for leaving our democratic system at least we'll enough alone.

You phrase that post in a way that anyone who wasn't aware,would think that public servants didn't pay taxes.

I reckon there's a good book waiting to be written which will expose the culture and occasional **** ups of this group of Irish people. Robert Watt reminds me of Charlie Haughey, whose corruption on top seeped down to the others. Watt's arrogance and fcuk-you attitude to his would be political masters has infected many of his fellow mandarins who take their cue from him. Monkey see, monkey do.

You phrase that post in a way that anyone who wasn't aware,would think that public servants didn't cost taxpayers money to employ, didn't have uncosted and unfunded pensions, and didn't strike at the stop of a hat despite having job security that does not exist in the private sector.

Tell me where was democracy when the public sector and politicians colluded handing even more of the public funds to themselves? I don't remember getting a say in where my taxes were going.

Also your "pay taxes" analagy is specious. Sure why don't we pay each one a million euro salary, and take 950,000 off them. Then they could say "we pay more taxes than you". Obviously ridiculous, yet this is what teachers unions have pulled this exact same stunt!

So, my point stands tall. The people paying for all this, should get a greater say via a stronger vote, then those taking from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The people 'taking from them' are getting paid to do a job, they themselves are 'paying for all this' as well.

Your base logic is plain daft.

• Advertisement

Correction, they are overpaid and MASSSIVELY over pensioned, to do jobs that in many cases should not exist.

Taxpayers are being absolutely fleeced to pay for this largesse, and yet the insiders continue to get away with it, because they can force out any politician who dares to take on their unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

From my experience within the civil service around a third of the work day can often be spent on accountability related work (PQs, ministerial reps, FOI, AIE, preparing for Minister’s attendance in the Houses of the Oireachtas and multiple public events, providing stats/info for the usual publications, PMDS process, defending judicial reviews etc).

Without all that a lot more policy work and other tangible output would get done but it is what it is in order to be as transparent as possible.

It’s often the case i find that the very people who want something done make so much noise and generate so much correspondence/PQs that they’re causing a significant barrier to actually getting what they want done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The biggest problem with any large organisation be private or public is the 'not invented here' syndrome as you clearly demonstrate.

Which particular public sector jobs should not exist?

Democracy was when you voted at the ballot box for parties to implement their policies, remember that?

Tell me more about these "strikes at the drop of a hat" please? What strikes are you talking about?

You have some cheek to misquote me. I said "threaten strikes".

Secondly this version of democracy where those that pay for everything get the same vote as those that take patently unfair.

Imagine a household where parents who work give their kids an allowance. But instead of taking x amount the kids take a little bit more, and give that bit back, and then proclaim they should have the exact nsame say in the how the household finances are spent!

Oh and how exactly do you know who I voted for, because the last 4 govts had zero of my candidates in them.

You didn’t mention “threaten” at all in the post. The relevant section was; “and didn't strike at the stop of a hat despite having job security that does not exist in the private sector.”.

So I’m simply asking what strikes you are referring to? I suspect the answer is ‘none’ but perhaps you can clarify.

You seem confused about the basics of democracy. Your candidates didn’t get into government because very few people share your views and your voting strategy. That IS democracy, because the candidates reflecting the majority views got elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I never knew you were a public servant! A senior one....right. To be honest I take everything you post with a pinch of salt based off previous misinformation. You do love the status quo no matter how utterly dysfunctional.

You spend your day on Boards defending FFGG and attacking SF. How do you square that with your job?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is arrant nonsense.

The whole democratic system we have is based on one vote per person. We even extend it to be STV so those with a smaller support base can get elected, and could get a voice at Gov. This balances out so that every reasonable voice is heard.

You are suggesting that those with the most should have the loudest voice - or even the only voice. I would not want to live in a society that had that kind of system - the closest to it is the Republican view in the USA - no thanks. Billionaires deciding the fate of those further down the wealth spectrum - just look at twitter and the chaos being caused by a nutter new owner who cares nothing for the workers.

When the Titanic hit the iceberg, the crew locked the third class passengers below decks while they tried to save the first class passengers - is that the world you want to live in? I presume you assume you would be in first class.

"Your candidates didn’t get into government because very few people share your views"

Ahahhaaahahhaah. Wrong again! Highest amount of first preferences votes out of all parties! So they did indeed get elected, the reason they didnt get into government is because FF FG merged, something they swore blind they'd never do!

the people with the strongest, simplest and most certain views of something like the role and workings of the entirety of the civil service as it sits within our system of governmental administration are always the ones with the dumbest possible follow up responses to anyone challenging those views.

i dunno is that telling. i feel like it might be.

• Advertisement

This is some alternate reality stuff, if the system is so fair, why is it teachers are ridiculously over represented?

Where are the rest of the private sector PAYE workers in govt??? The truth is the deck is stacked afgainst them, whereas the govt and its sweetheart deals with the public sector mean that teachers can give politics a shot, and if it doesnt work out its straight back into their previous job, like nothing ever happened. Compare that with the private sector PAYE plebs if you dare.

Also "could get a voice in gov" lol . Vincent Browne has commented many times over the years hat the Irish system is absolutly nowhere as fair at govt level than most of europe. Basically the govt have all the power and the opposition don't. Hence SF won the most 1st pref votes, yet dont get a say in anything.

Oh this is AMAZING

So to use your analogy, when 2008 hit, the govt took out a loan for about 120Billion, and gave 60 odd to the public sector so they could all keep their jobs and pensions! And the private sector? Lifeboats out to Oz and Canada lads

Public service interview panels generally have one or two non public service interviewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Its nearly impossible to get sacked in the public sector bar killing someone on the job.

And people are confused why there is such a poor return for their buck.

Treat it the same as the private sector, and you will see a huge improvement.

You don’t pull your weight, there is your P45.

No accountability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah.

Retired civil servants take lion’s share of €2m paid to sit on state interview panels - Independent.ie

Retired civil servants take lion’s share of €2m paid to sit on state interview panels

Twelve people, including retired civil servants and semi-state staff, earned more than €25,000 for sitting on interview panels last year.

One of them, a retired employee of a semi-state company took in more than €61,000 in fees in 2021 according to the Public Appointments Service.

Total fees paid to panellists on interview boards came to €1.957m, well over half of which went to just 50 people.

Fees can be as high as €469 for private-sector management consultants, while a retired secretary-general of a government department can earn €377 per day — in addition to a state pension of well over €100,000 per year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

SF aren’t in Government because they didn’t have enough votes in the Dail. A cynic might think that they were quite happy to let others inherit the Covid challenges and sit back on opposition benches with all the answers.

When exactly did FF and FG swear that they would never go into coalition?

Do you think that SF in Government will implement any of the policies that you’ve proposed here?

For as long as politicians are forced to kowtow to public sector unions this will not happen.

I interviewed several years ago for a public service job. A panel of 4, all public servants.

What struck me was how only one of the four was as well dressed as me. One guy had a open neck shirt and jeans, the older woman a tired polyester sweater, another guy a very worn faded polyester suit and the last guy was very smartly dressed in a good suit and shirt. I knew him by reputation, an excellent guy in his field, and was not surprised at his appearance. The others looked as though they couldn't care less and I thought they presented a very bad image of our state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If the same transparency requirements existed in the private sector as existed in the public sector the private sector would probably become uncompetitive and fail.

• Advertisement

Lots of organisations, public and private, offer unpaid leave of absence or sabbaticals for staff who want to try something else. Leave for teachers today is very different to what it was. The days of keeping a teaching post open for decades are gone.

Advertisement