Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show (25.11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Part of the reason it was not Christmasy is that it's only November and too early. Why you may think, I reckon this is just a commercial decision. Once you get into December, the office parties and dinners start and RTE starts to lose adult viewership, advertising and people who will donate to the Ryan Fund.

So the show has little to do with Christmas and little to do with toys. RTE need to be held up to the fire and given a good roasting, in the Christmas spirit of course.

Anyway, HAPPY CHRISTMAS to everyone on TLLS thread, even those who are only having a Happy Holiday 😛

The show seems to have been taken away from the kids and made more geared towards Ryan/adults. Kids don’t sit at home waiting for Ryan’s songs or finding other kids adorable. They just want toys, which is reasonable enough in a toy show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

To be brutal about it for the people complaining it’s now more for adults, well yes, it is

If it was for kids it would be on earlier. The ads etc, the donations etc, unfortunately are all adult-based, so they want adults to stay hooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah, I dunno - look back over the threads here for the past decade or more and you'll probably see the same kind of themes and commentary running through them.

I really don't think a 6 year old would turn down the "option" to stay up late and at least give it a chance. It will still be as well publicised and talked about next year.

My 3 will be watching (again, maybe just for the "occassion") but that alone is enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm still waiting to hear what "collection of scum" thought of last night's show in comparison to previous years.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Too much Tubridy, not enough toys.

Tubbers seemed a tad less frenetic/manic than previous years maybe but does he need to be front and centre of everything??

Give the kids a bit of space ffs....we don't need to see him gurning about in the middle of all the big musical numbers.

It all seems a bit charmless and scripted lately...geared more towards creating wannabe viral moments on social media than actually being a fun show for kids about toys and Christmas.

Fair enough and look, if parents and kids in the main enjoy it, then that's great- in it's favour, i have to say, the production values were very good this year and indeed have been for many years- the costumes, the choreography etc far exceeded what RTE used to do.

RTE used to be sh1te when it came to putting on such a show and always looked lo-fi and parochial in its efforts so glad to see they've upped their game.

I totally agree about the production values, they were top class, although initially there was a hiccup with sound levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A few years ago the Toy Show was on the first Friday in December.

I remember when it was announced Ryan was like "It's more tradtional, not to early etc"

The set was about the same as it would be normally.

It was only on that date because of how the days fell.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,701 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Having reared a family I have to agree. Kids just aren't that impressed by other kids performing. I would imagine if truth be told many parents were dealing with tired and bored kids last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sure aren't they prepararing for it, and getting paid well for it, most of the year 🙂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If RTE want to run a variety show to raise money for whatever charity is in chic at the time then they should just go do it properly. Get proper acts on that will entertain the audience, young and old, from musicians, magicians, comedians, storytelling, etc. This craic of having tubs act like he's the star of a Broadway show is hilarious. They could even have some of the children interact with the performers.

What we have at the moment is a production team brought up through the Billie Barry school of jazz hands thinking everyone loves what they are doing, well they don't. It falls between so many stools right now that it's completely confused. Add in a host that has the charisma of lamp post and it's going nowhere.

Both my kids were bored to death after about 30 minutes of watching it as they had no idea what was going on. It was just one random set piece after another punctuated with neverending ads.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well my 6 year old was bored and at the other end of the scale his nana was disgusted that the babies from the hospitial were not on the show🤣.

Both enjoyed last year. Back to drawing board rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

i really enjoyed it

but man Ryan was hyper - I wonder if thats all natural or..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I think Welsh Megaman could sue you for plagiarism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People might not realise that it is deliberate on Tubridys part that he is the main man, centre of attention at all stages of the show.

He and his management team push for that and it shows.

what I really dislike are the sly, nasty remarks at the kids expense that he makes, to put them in their place. It’s just really sneaky and cynical to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just on the “bring back the Billie Barry kids.” For years they had the same silly 2-3 dance moves. Awful overrated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

And the poor Ukrainian girls...as if things couldn't get worse, they get given a rugby Munster jersey and brought to watch them play. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Every year I think they don't show enough toys and then the next year they show even less.

No mention of Christmas, No christmas songs or carol, No snow on set, Next to no toys on set.

Even a few years ago we would hear from kids which toys they reviewed they liked the best and which they thought were no use. That's gone now.

I think the target audience is gone from kids to parents. Parent like tuning in with their kids because they remember the toy show when they were a kid. It's like when the Den came back a couple years ago, parents were nostalgic from when they watched it as a kid and wanted their kid to watch it and like it too.

And like everything in this world, it's turned from an event into an "experience". Like nowadays people don't just go to a stadium to watch a match, it's all about the experience...the bars, the food. People buying Toy Show boxes, Toy Show pyjamas, the musical theme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have to say, I do feel very sorry for the kids of the cranks who would have been bitching, and moaning, about the show all week.

Then having to sit with them while they spat angrily through gritted teeth about Ryan, and the show in general, all night.

Must be very hard to get into the mood, or have any joy in the moment, when you, probably, feel like you have to toe the “party line”, lest you upset the grown man on the couch, and agree that everything is terrible.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Emmet you seem to be in the minority here - most people didnt think the show last night was good.

Is it wrong for kids to expect to see Toys being demo'd on the Toy Show? I know my kids expected more toys on the show. I didnt moan to the kids during the show at all - they gave their own opinions of it. We love the Toy show - its a big event in our house - nice fire lit, some christmas decorations up, everyone sitting down to enjoy it together, eating sweets and drinking hot chocolate. Last nights show was a letdown though. My kids do not find Ryan Tubridy jumping around acting the eejit funny - his forced over acting with the kids is not enjoyable. The kids should be allowed lead their slots - Tubridy ruins the show.

I think Donncha O'Callaghan presenting the Toy Show would be excellent. He has done a few kids shows for RTE - he is excellent at engaging with kids and brings out the best in them. Tubridy has no idea how to interact with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's it in a nutshell - it's a kids' themed TV show but very much pitched at the adult audience too (which is fair enough though....they are chasing both TV ratings and advertising).

That’s not actually what happens. Parents botching to other adults doesn’t translate into spoiling it for their children, if and when the kids are enjoying it any parent is delighted. No parent wants to ruin their child’s fun. The critique is done online, not out loud in front of the children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There was a fair bit of criticism of the kids last night, which was well out of order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement