Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely redundancy in January, how can I survive off €208 JB a week with 1200 monthly rent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

There's nowhere in Dublin cheaper to rent though. Except for a council estate which i don't quality for. My rent is already below market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

"And the people here in Ireland generally are quite racist as we see in this thread as well. Hence i prefer to live in the city where the other foreigners are . I don't have any Irish friends at all. Don't like them".

There really is no reply to this type of comment.

This is one of the few helpful posts here thank you.

It says that rent supplement is not paid if your rent is over a certain limit but it does not state what that limit is. So wether I apply for that i am unsure.

At first I was sympathetic to your plight, but quite honestly, your comments have become quite offensive and racist in their own right..

If you dislike Ireland, and the Irish people so much, maybe it is time for you to consider relocating back to your country of origin or some other EU country. What is there to keep you here? There is a recession coming and the situation in Ireland is is not going to improve, anytime soon. If anything, it will get worse.

Ireland is not all bad. You will be supported here, but benefits are not meant to equal your working income. If you have visual impairment that qualifies you as blind, you can also make an application for a Blind Pension which comes with other secondary benefits, such as a free travel pass. You may qualify for this as well as JB.

So you know, as the saying goes - don't bite the hand that will be feeding you.

By the way, I have two cousins who grew up in Utrecht, (dutch mother, irish father) and moved here in their 20s after their mother died, both now in their 30s and living full time in Kilkenny, and love it there.

As for Galway or cork even there the rent is expensive. It might be a couple hundred less than here but still more than the jibseeker benefits

Although Galway people are the njcest in Ireland. Nicer than dubliners . Not as nice as the Dutch of course.

• Advertisement

Well, the answer and supports you are entitled to are obvious. You simply need to… wait, you’re a foreigner? HUMPFFF as a card carrying racist I can’t be offering help to the likes of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

op- have you considered a house share?

for example a double bedroom in Templeogue area for €500 pm? Cuts your rent by €700.

There are also cheaper house shares on daft.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

What you should do is present yourself at the SW office on your first day of unemployment and tell them that you want to apply for Jobseekers, but that you actually want it to be paid at the rate of 70% of your current salary, as that’s what the rate is in the Netherlands. They’ll probably point out that this is Ireland, not the Netherlands but you can respond that it’s too hard to move to the Netherlands.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

OP do you work from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And the people here in Ireland generally are quite racist as we see in this thread as well. Hence i prefer to live in the city where the other foreigners are . I don't have any Irish friends at all. Don't like them.

Foreigner here too OP, think you talking shìte.

Anyone else here is thinking this poster is just some stupid wind up?

And in case OP you are serious and don't mind to work with animals, send me pm and I'll get you in touch with the company hiring and offering accomodation with the job.

• Advertisement

Working on a farm ? I would only work on a farm if it were my own farm. But thanks a lot for the offer.

And some foreigners do like the Irish and their culture . I just don't like them. I tried to integrate in the past going to the pub and watching the utterly uninteresting GAA and all that. Trying to do things like the Irish do and trying to integrate. It just isn't for me and i have since decided to stop attempting to integrate in Irish culture.

I "work" from home 4 days in the week and i "work" from the office 1day in the week. On that office day i often leave early in the afternoon and "work" from home the rest of the time. There is naught to do. Sales are at an all time low and there's nothing new planned for next year. The company is in bits. It's like being in the Titanic while its sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

With the tone of your posts so far, I have a feeling I know why your attempt to integrate didn’t work.

To answer your question, unless you find a similar job sharpish, there won’t be an easy solution. You would to look at going a bit further outside Dublin or use your savings or find any job to make ends meet or change country.

And before you throw the racist card, I am also a foreign national.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wow, how to win friends and influence people.

And elicit helpful advice from boards.

Not!

OP, why would you want to live and make your life in a country where it seems you can't afford to live where you want/need to live, think the locals are racist, don't even like the locals, think the infrastructure is crap, and all because you're afraid of being a couple of hundred miles nearer Putin and his nukes?

Sounds like your (possible) impending redundancy will be a great chance to restart somewhere else, somewhere you actually like living.

In the meantime, if you actually do want to stay here (why, though?) - as someone earlier in the thread pointed out, you either increase your income, or reduce your costs. A certain amount of lateral thinking will be required. And insulting the natives and country that are currently hosting you is not a good start, you can have that advice for free.

Then why do you stay in Ireland? Genuine question.

I'm Irish, and I neither go to pubs, or have any interest in GAA. You are putting all Irish "culture" into some stereotyped cubbyhole.

If you find you dislike most or all of the people you interact with, you need to step back and take a good hard look at the common denominator in these interactions.

One thing about Dubliners. They are very quick to suss people out, and they don't take kindly to people with a superior attitude.

It's not about liking Irish or the culture, you'll find clowns absolutely everywhere, in my native country, in your native country, in Ireland... Why did you come here? Myself, I came in here, because I wanted to try something new, got tired of my old job and needed big change. And I got one. 16 years later still here. Rural Ireland. Was it difficult sometimes? Yup it was. But I can tell you, I wouldn't change it. Plenty of space to get my doggies out. It's pretty safe place for my sons. There are pros and cons, but it's only up to yourself to make a place to live. There's one thing you have to keep in mind, if you are not ready to join different country, culture, people and adapt, accept the problems, accept the good sides. Well you better look for another safe haven for yoursel in that case.

Post edited by xhomelezz on

You must be from some bad place then if you think Ireland is a good place.... Weesh. I feel sorry for you. But let's look at these options.

Going outside Dublin - but i don't drive and Irish public transport is not adequate so then how can i go to the grocery store ?

Use savings - but then i don't have savings anymore for rough times like illness.

Find a lower wage job - this is a temporary solution but it would look bad on my CV. So then when the crisis is over they will be like "why were you pulling pints at the local ?" And i won't get an IT job anymore.

"Move country " it's racist to tell a foreigner to leave the country. No matter whether you are native Irish or not. As i said before moving country isn't always so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How do you figure it's racist to"tell someone to leave the country "?

And nobody is telling you to - they're questioning why on earth you want to live here if you dislike Ireland and the Irish so much?

Would moving country be more or less difficult than living here on JSB, given all the restrictions you're placing on yourself?

I moved here in 2017. I was almost finished with my university degree. I did not have a job lined up in the Netherlands and I was in student accomodation. Loved my apartment there but dutch law determines you need to leave after you graduate. Then my Dutch friend living in Dublin called me said he had a job lined up for me. A lowly job in a callcenter. So i was like ok I'll do that. Since i worked my way up and now work in IT sales.

I can't imagine how boring your country must have been that rural Ireland is more exciting than wherever you are from. I am sorry to hear.

I can't imagine how boring your country must have been that rural Ireland is more exciting than wherever you are from. I am sorry to hear.

Well OP, as far as I can see you don't even bother to read posts here. So I'll put you on my clown list. As I said you'll find clowns about everywhere. Good luck to you.

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that clowns make about 50k a year, that is above the Irish median wage.

I gave you the explanation of why I came here, what else do you want to know?

I suggest you take that job, 50k for a clown job should definitely sort out your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Regardless of the poster

220 is the total for 7 days from 2023 or 953per month.

I assume you have some savings you can dip into for those months, or you can find a house to share if single meaning your rent won't be as high, or you may receive redundancy money. Max redundancy is €600 a week, as you are two years with the company this would come to €3,000, (based on your rent I assume you'd get the max).

As others have pointed out you should start looking for a job now to avoid having to sign on, or you should consider a minimum wage job to tided you over that would bring you to €452, full time, but there are plenty of places paying more than the minimum wage.

If you don't have savings and feel a minimum paying job won't suit you or your lifestyle, you could apply for rent supplement along with your JB, there you will be means tested to see if you are being truthful when saying you can't pay your rent.

In any case your your local social welfare office will ask for proof that you have been Jobseekng as it is part of the T&C's

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not really matter what is going on in the Netherlands nor any other state of the Union. The only requirement is that you are treated the same as any other EU citizen or an Irish citizen and you are. And you in turn will have to do what every other person in the country would do and that is most likely give up the apartment and find shared accommodation, boarding or move to a cheaper part of the country or if all else fails seek social housing.

However your situation may be worse than you think. Contrary to what you think as posted else where, it is very possible for Ireland to deport you. As you said you have been been here for five years, that means that you have failed to establish economic viability as required by the EU directive. Furthermore you stated that you have a serious medical disability, which at this point could lead the authorities concluding that you are more likely to become a burden on the state rather than being likely to establish economic viability and in accordance with the EU directives that gives them the right to deport you.

Choose your strategy carefully, you are in a more precarious position than you think....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Seems like either way you are in a tight spot, but if you dislike Ireland/Irish people so much, it would seem to make more sense to relocate to where you are from. As you can see, Ireland has welcomed more than our fair share of emigrants, and for the most part we are better for it. But if you aren’t happy here, and are prone to voicing your dislike of your hosts, then that grates a bit and your welcome well wear out pretty quickly. As I posted earlier, if you are unable to pay your share of the rent, your flatmate will also be at risk of eviction, which means your flatmate will look to replace you, so it would seem prudent for you to plan to move before you are made to.

So, you need to assess whether you are better off here or in the Netherlands and nothing of what you have posted makes staying here a more appealing option if you are that unhappy in Dublin.

The Irish are not my "hosts". I have worked full time for 5 years and paid taxes. A "host" does not charge his "guest". I also do not need permission of the Irish to be here as Ireland is in the EU.

There is an eviction ban until March 2023 which might be extended. I am not at risk of legal eviction. I am at risk of an attempt at illegal eviction by my Irish slumlord who has repeatedly threatened to send his goons to evict people by illegal force. Well he is welcome to attempt that luckily Ireland has stand your ground laws against illegal home intruders allowing the usage of appropriate force if necessary to protect your home. This is legal in Ireland within limits. If someone is armed you can use force to disarm them but you cant just shoot an unarmed intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think I read on another thread, but am open to correction, that an eviction notice can be issued during period when evictions are banned, it will become enforceable immediately after the ban ends. It will be your flatmate rather than the LL who will want you out as he/she is likely to be joint and severely liable for your rent and will not want to risk being homeless because of you.

Edit: Yip, notice of eviction can be served during the moratorium period, and acted on as soon as it ends, and a point very pertinent to you, protection against eviction may not extend to you if you don’t pay your rent.

https://www.irishlegal.com/articles/law-banning-no-fault-evictions-during-winter-passed

Ireland is your host, by virtue of the fact that you are not a citizen, as another poster has pointed out to you, your right to be here is not absolute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

If I was WFH home 4 days a week like the OP is, I wouldn't be spending €1200 on rent to live in Dublin city center, no wonder she/he is so miserable.

Okay would you live in Muff county donegal if you could not drive due to a visual disability? Would you really? Without having any family there that can give you a lift?

Because I really do not think you would do that. Not without the ability to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Well may I say welcome to Ireland and congratulations your on your way to becoming Irish with that entitlement streak running through your posts, long with the chip on your shoulder on how the Irish and Ireland is a pathetic country. There are many like minded out there across Dublin.

Honestly, if you want to find out about rent support schemes apply for them, you might find you are entitled to something, maybe not everything but something, and if you aren't then you have to change and realize that you might have to move outside of the city centre or even Dublin for a while. That's just life.

I'd be inclined to look for somewhere new to live, if I where you.

Who knows you might even have a new job and not have to worry about any of this.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement