Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Zelensky sticking by his story

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy demurred, saying "I have no doubt that it was not our missile", Ukrainian media reported on Wednesday. He said he based his conclusion on reports from Ukraine's military which he "cannot but trust".

He gave no evidence for his position

Seems to me his problem is he went so massive with his 'version of events' in the first place. If he were to climb down now he would effectively be admitting to (in the most favourable interpretation from his perspective) trying to bounce NATO into direct intervention on the back of inadequate and/or inaccurate intel. And that would leave a trust deficit between him and his allies going forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thats a very large Crater for an air defense missle,

I don't think Zelensky is lying or wrong I think there has been a massive downplay here ,

I believe the Ukrainian tried to engage a Russian cruise missile and possibly missed,or damaged the Russian missle and it continued into Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think it is probable that NATO do not want to get involved - whatever the true story - nothing to see here.

Unfortunately two innocent Polish men are dead.

Zalenski might well be correct, but it is not what NATO want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't know anything about the NATO treaty or the definitions in it (and I don't have the time/interest to read it) but would an accidental stray missile really be considered an attack which would pull in NATO? If that were the case then it would seem NATO would be more likely to cause/escalate conflicts than prevent them. If something like that could invoke NATO mobilisation, then I'm sure there were various other incidents over the years which should have done so.

Regardless of the source of the missiles, I'm sure NATO would find an easy out to avoid them getting involved. I don't think NATO need to make stuff up here and Zelensky is doing himself no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In essence a stray missile (or an full invasion etc.) would be a cause to convey the members who then decides what's an appropriate response basically. In case these were 2 Russian missiles the reaction could be for example strengthen the anti missile defenses at the relevant NATO border rather than an full invasion of Russia; that meeting was yesterday as a side note. Hence there's not a default reaction and is decided on a case by case basis basically by the NATO members though for obvious reasons USA have a significant finger on the scale for what the reaction will be.

I don't think NATO need to make stuff up here and Zelensky is doing himself no favours.

If he keeps digging in on this he could seriously damage his relations with his allies. This guy pinpoints the problem

at least one Kyiv-based diplomat from a NATO country, who told the Financial Times: "This is getting ridiculous. The Ukrainians are destroying [our] confidence in them. Nobody is blaming Ukraine and they are openly lying. This is more destructive than the missile."

People have been claiming Zelensky is losing support on a daily basis for months ,but it's not remotely true , Zelensky wants answers to what exactly to hit Poland,I believe Ukrainian observers are now being sent to Poland to get a closer look at the site and anything recovered,

But yet at Rammstein airbase nato and eu countries pledged more military support and supplies for ukraine through winter,on top of another 30billion from the US .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Immediately it happened, Zelensky would have checked with his commanders in the field, and for sure asked " are all of our missile accounted for? Their launch sites and targets? Launch times? Results? " All launch data in fact for that day. So when he says that according to his info, it was not one of his (Ukrainian) missiles that landed in Poland, he is telling the truth. And that's what he said on TV. But let his team have access to the site, and if it turns out that it was a Ukrainian missile that hit, then I'm pretty sure that he will own up to it. Why was there even a delay in allowing the Ukrainian investigating team on site? That in itself is suspicious.

If by some chance (unlikely, as he is very much the hero of these times, and rightly so) his reputation was blackened beyond redemption, the West, UK, EU and US etc, would still very much support the war against Putin. I'll give Skabeeva, Simonyan and Solovyon credit for one grain of truth in their daily propaganda barrage against Ukraine and the West, they are fighting NATO, the EU, UK, and the US etc. And that's a fact, they are fighting because they see the continuing threat that Putin poses worldwide to peace and stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

To change the scene -and depending what outcome NATO/Poland/USA want - those in control of the site can place any bits and pieces on the site. What about NATO showing actual photos or whatever from their resonance of the area, to prove its point, with Ukr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't believe that Zelensky is lying as some have stated. However he may be mistaken. I use the word may because there is still doubts about the origin. For now though it's reasonable to accept what the Poles have said.

We will have to wait until the investigative team ( inc. Ukrainian's) complete their report. That should settle it one way or another. ( hopefully)

Well then he should not have come racing out the gate claiming with absolute certainty this was a Russian missile attack on Poland and describing it as a “really significant escalation”. Obviously NATO would never take those sort of claims at face value and would always do its own due diligence, given the extreme seriousness of the implications, but Uncle Sam does not appreciate his 'underlings' trying to lead him around by the nose in this way...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It may have been a Ukranian missile. Still wouldn't have been fired if Russia weren't invading another country on the whims of a piece of **** dictator.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is the most relevant fact.

Also its worth pointing out that Russia have been using the S300 to hit ground targets in Ukraine - its a fairly impactful missile even if that is not its primary usage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whoever fired it, it wasn't ever going to change the situation though. Either it was a Ukrainian accident, or a Russian one; and while the former would have simply made for an uncomfortable conversation between Kyiv and Warsaw, neither would the latter have resulted in anything substantial. Simple reality is unless Russia launch a premeditated attack on a NATO or EU location, NATO aren't going to intervene in this war.

And Putin isn't that crazy or desperate he'd poke that dragon; if Moscow thought they were in trouble now, there'd be American Troops in Moscow by next summer. As someone said earlier, at best NATO might relocate some troops around critical borders, run a few live-fire drills maybe, all in a show of strength to pull Russian attention - but that'd be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

A good start going towards rebuilding Ukraine's infrastructure. Fair dues to the Aussie behind the plan who is putting half his fortune into the project.

I would expect a great deal of Russian seized assets will also go into the Ukraine rebuilding project.

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seems like the goal posts are starting to move to enable an "Russian victory" after a peace deal...

Russia "no longer has in its sights" a change of government in Ukraine, the Kremlin has said. 

When the Russian invasion began, Moscow had made clear it wanted to topple the Ukrainian government and instal its own leadership. 

There had been fears for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's life at the time, although he remained in the country's capital. 

In new comments, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said his country "does not intend the 'special operation' to change the government in Ukraine".

Above taken from Sky News.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There was, for a time, a determined contrarian here who insisted the Russian Army's attack on Kyiv was nothing more than a feint; a ruse to draw troops and attention away from the "breakaway" regions and Russia never intended to conduct Regime Change. The gaslighting from the user was obnoxious, constant and no evidence to the contrary could persuade them beyond this idea Russia could be that imperialist. Standard Western self-loathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Ukraine's armed forces are getting some Brimstone missiles.

The Brimstone is the UK's idea of the famed Hellfire missile. Normally fired from aircraft or choppers, it can be launched from a ground unit too. it has a range of between 40km and 60km depending on what it is launched from.

Dan.

The MoD is reporting that Russia's long range missile stock is so reduced they're now firing 1980s cruise missiles with their nuclear warheads removed.

If that's how desperate they have got you'd wonder how much longer this tactic of terrorising civilian targets can last, if they're down to jury-rigging old missile stock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they run out of missiles then an open third floor window awaits the latest commander of Russian forces in Ukraine.

They can be prone to simple mistakes but the TLDR News channel has a good breakdown of the dire straights the Russian economy finds itself in: in tandem with munitions desperation one wonders if Putin himself might start to worry about those 3rd storey windows @Sam Russell . A lot of wealthy Russians will be losing their shirts because of Putin's pursuit of Historical Russia.

They already have some in service in Ukraine, several other countries also sent their variant of the ground launched hellfires,

It would be great if they could get predator drones to launch them from the air too

Yes, that's exactly what Ukraine needs more slow flying expensive propeller drones. Remind me again how those Turkish drones. They got earlier in the war are doing these days?

They are still flying daily,

Slow flying drone that can carry multiple hellfire missles, monitor thousands of kms of land and can loiter over a battlespace for over 20 +hours,

Exactly what ukraine needs and may be getting depending on how discussions go

What Ukraine needs more than anything is air defence systems because what they have at the moment doesn't seem to be doing a great job despite what they say considering most of their electricity grid and water system. Now no longer works. Most of the country is without power, and that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon, but then again the fifth report has come out saying Russia is apparently running out of missiles yet again. You never know. I guess one day the intelligence agencies might actually get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I agree, key focus now appears to be on AA equipment and also energy replacement, such as foreign supplied generators and transformers.

Russia will never "run dry" of missiles, but they can be running low, which limits their usage. It does seem to be the case as they are increasingly relying on foreign drones, they also appear to be using older missiles with the nuclear warheads removed. Likewise, we saw same signs that they were running into serviceable tank supply issues, lots of clues to that the time, including very old stock appearing on the battlefield.

The sanctions mean it's more difficult for them to source replacements and manufacture their own. Long war will hurt Ukraine, but it's also hurting Russia.

• Advertisement

And yet , they are still fighting and winning,the problem with air defense systems is they aren't always perfect,they are shooting down more missles than ever In Ukraine but no one system can get every missle and they can't physically cover the whole country,yes they power generation is damaged but they are receiving thousands of generators on a daily basis,

And the the EU and Nato countries are helping the power grids,

Not all the doom and gloom some repeatedly claim .....

Advertisement