Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

igCorcaigh, I had expected to see a bit of chopped onion in there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I resisted my impulse to put chopped onion in there @Mystery Egg, as it was my first attempt, but after finding that the risk of them falling apart is not so great, I will definitely be including chopped onion in the next burger.

Controversial opinion here: Raw onion is better than caramelised. There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah here! (to the raw/caramelised comment)

Onion in a burger just reminds me of the really thick, hard, dry, overcooked, homemade burgers of my childhood.

My mother was a great cook and I liked them at the time but I really wouldn't be bothered eating that type of burger now.

Ah, we didn't get much burgers growing up at home, but you are reminding me of the burger shacks they had at the beach back in the 80's. Nasty dried burgers with raw onion and Kandee ketchup. Ah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Squash, radicchio and sage rissotto. Bunged some diced chicken in at the end as well. Decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 535 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Roast beef, mash and veg for housemates. Reverse seared the roast and then sous vide for two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭bmc58

looks ok,bit of fresh parsley sprinkled over the potatoes would improve the look though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You went back over a year to critique someone's dinner??

Was just looking through the threads last night (nothing better to do) and has a look at the posts.Didn't realise they were from a year ago.Gave my opinion on the dish,did I say something nasty?.What's your problem?

Moderator here.

You're a new poster. Welcome to the food forum. This thread has been running for years. Your first foray in was to critique somebody's dinner from a year ago. Not a big deal but really no need to do that.

Instead of critiquing someone's meal from a year ago, why not tell us what you had for dinner last night? Or what you're planning for tonight? Then you'll be in the spirit of things.

• Advertisement

Thanks,didn't mean to cause offence,just gave an honest opinion on the meal I saw.

Post edited by bmc58 on

As a new poster on this forum,I'm just wondering what was the difference between my post and yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Homemade chicken satay

igCorcaigh had said they wanted to make their own burgers recently, and mentioned that they love chopped onion in a home made burger, and we all had a chat about how to make the perfect home made burger.

Context is everything!

I made a fakeaway spice bag tonight in the air fryer with ChanChan seasoning and Mayflower curry sauce. Absolutely delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭con747

Chips look great, Mayflower curry is one of my favourites.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Oh that looks great @Mystery Egg, I had to Google the ChanChan spice mix, but it seems like it could be very good, with the fragrant spices that I love: Star Anise · Fennel · Cardamom · Chinese Cassia · Szechuan Peppercorn (zing!) · Ginger.

I do recognise the branding though, maybe I saw it in Aldi? Not sure...

The Mayflower curry is one of my favourites too!

The ChanChan is good - I added a sprinkle of sugar too, which my local Chinese definitely does. It was quite possibly Aldi, I bought it a couple of months back!

Only just discovered Mayflower curry sauce a few weeks back when my friend gave me a box of it. It's the closest I've come to making Chinese style curry sauce at home and as a small surprising bonus, it's somehow extremely low in calories.

Oh, I'll be sprinkling a bit of sugar (and MSG!) with it too, good tip @Mystery Egg!

We had a stuffed turkey joint from Lidl tonight, with baked potatoes, mixed veg and gravy. Desert was apple crumble and custard.

• Advertisement

I'm pimping those potato/bacon/cream packets from Lidl with extra bacon, garlic, onion, grainy mustard and creme fraiche. To go with salmon and green beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had mushroom and pea risotto on Saturday :

I deliberately made enough to have leftovers, so yesterday, we had arancini made from the leftover risotto, with a romesco-style sauce :

Absolutely NO leftovers from this one. I've come to the point where I'm making risotto just so I can then make arancini....

I have no interest in risotto but I loooooove arancini.

We had chicken and broccoli bake tonight, made from leftover roast chicken, topped with sliced potatoes brushed with garlic oil.

Looks amazing @Mystery Egg! Do you have to parboil the potatoes first? I haven't had an oven until recently, so would love to try to make some root veg or potato type gratin dish in the oven.

Nope, just thinly sliced a few Maris pipers and brushed them with garlic oil and a sprinkle of salt.

I used to top this bake with breadcrumbs and cheese but I'm watching my saturated fat intake so cheese is mostly out the window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Pork belly tacos with Fennel, cumin and paprika. Usual extras including black beans with onion and garlic. Slow cooked the pork in the oven then blasted on grill. We always eat these with cheap taco shells, family tradition.

Oh nice @Black Sheep!

Is it as simple as marinating the pork belly, then roast, grill, and slice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There's a Jamie Oliver pork belly taco recipe I use for the beans and the spice mix I rub on the pork belly strips, although I tweak it as I will explain.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/ultimate-pork-tacos-with-spicy-black-beans-avocado-green-salad/

He just pan fries the pork belly, which I think isn't great... The fat doesn't render down, it ends up very chewy.

What I do is apply the fennel, smoked paprika and cumin rub, and roast the pork belly in a tray covered in foil in the oven. 2 hours at 160 degrees or until tender. Then take it out, uncover, pour off the fat and water that has discharged, get the grill mega hot and give it the final blast to crisp up the pork belly. A bit like carnitas.

Very handy recipe.

Advertisement