Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's not even on the radar as a financial solution though. Our government are either going to subsidize private investors or have Eirgrid/ESB slap massive standing charges on electricity bills to pay for it. There is no payback built in to the current model.

I'd tend to agree with you that critical energy production should be state owned. We had far cheaper electricity before the EU made us create artificial "competition" in the market which in turn has ramped up prices.

I also think we should be looking to spend money now on upgrading our oil/coal plants to CCGT while we wait for the technology required to transition to higher renewables mature and reach the levels we need. A fully hydrogen RICE is still years away and the plate racing power output of the gen needs to be much higher than your actual need because hydrogen is just not that good a fuel to run in engines. That technology will improve but it's still 2028 before the first models will be available.

If we want to use hydrogen before then we either mix it with gas or use PEM or SOC fuel cells and neither are very good for peaking purposes and would require significant battery banks to support them.

In short, here's what I'd do in order of importance

1: start upgrading older oil/coal plants to gas

2: begin the long slow process of upgrading the HV network as what we have now won't work with renewables spread out across the country

3: wait the 7/10 for the hydrogen economy to develop and mature. First to the market always pays a hefty premium for an inferior product.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apologies, im very busy now, but yea, our current government and opposition are completely lost in regards potential solutions such as....

...id have to strongly disagree in regards the move towards gas though, but i do understand to a degree why its mentioned, fossil fuels are done, its very likely international fossil fuel markets are going to remain highly volatile from now on, and the only way to protect ourselves from this volatility is..... our exposure to international energy markets, in particular fossil fuel markets, is one of the main reasons why we re currently experiencing significant inflation, solution, get the hell away from them as fast and as much as possible, i.e. off shore wind and nuclear, only nuclear will more than likely never occur on this island, so......

I can understand where you're coming from but fossil fuels aren't done. The EU has decided to accelerate the move away from them when we just aren't ready to do that. There'll be a reckoning for these policitians far sooner than people think because we can't continue increasing energy costs at this rate because of a political ideology.

Ok, I'll say it again, now listen carefully

You don't have to be a GP member to be concerned about the environment.

Read that again, then read it again.

The recent survey by the EPA showed numbers that reflect the concerns in the Irish population. If the %'s aligned as GP supporters the GP would be the largest party in the Dail

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

2 things with hydrogen

1. It has to be green. Blue, grey, pink etc are counterproductive

2. The consumption of it should only be through fuel cell tech. Burning it is also counterproductive as it releases a different ghg.

Once 1 & 2 are done right Hydrogen is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Perhaps I am missing something here, but I cannot see how French nuclear will have a capacity less than some wind farms this year

2021 the total installed wind capacity in France was 18.8 Gigawatts. For nuclear 61.4 Gigawatts. The actual rolling capacity would leave wind around 7 Gigawatts and nuclear 57 Gigawatts.

Even from your own example for Thursday, nuclear that made up 44% of France`s installed capacity in 2021, and by your reckoning now produces 10 Gigawatts less, which would leave their present installed capacity at 37%, provided 64% of their requirements. Wind with 13.5% of France`s installed capacity provided just 3%. Solar with 9.4% installed capacity provided 2%.

As I said perhaps I`m missing something here, but based on those figures the idea that we will be sending anything to France in 2026 through the extension lead looks more forlorn hope than reality

We are already paying for it in form of Europes most expensive energy prices

Care to show the data on that or can we assume you just made that statement up?

The EU has decided to accelerate the move away from them when we just aren't ready to do that.

There's never a good time to break a bad habit but Putins actions have resulted in a slashing of the transition timelines as its become a national security issue now for most countries.

There'll be a reckoning for these policitians far sooner than people think because we can't continue increasing energy costs at this rate because of a political ideology.

I'm pretty sure it's Putins political ideology that caused energy prices to go whacko as govts applied sanctions over his invasion of Ukraine.

Or are you saying that Putin should be rewarded by just carrying on as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Phil McCracken

well it all depends on your level of literacy.

I know the application of logic, like finance and mathematics, is just another areas to be avoided at all cost by greens, but even the application of a scintilla of logic should show you that cross referencing those figures with the Green Party polling figures, the population has no faith in their policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ryan expecting 1 in 10 voters to vote for them next election. For a safer future. Haha

It's unsurprising that you misunderstood the jist of my post, a near daily occurrence at this stage

the population has no faith in their policies

The %'s in that EPA report say otherwise

No matter, the govt have until Mar 2025 for additional policies to be implemented. At the rate things are going we're talking about hundreds of additional CAP policies being brought in across all national and local government departments.

The next CAP is due for release shortly, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next series of plans will be and the effects they will have on the environment and biodiversity of the country

For the folks very interested in the Green Party, there's an interesting write up below

Candidly and privately, many in the Greens accept that any electoral backlash to this Government will focus on them, meaning they are concentrating on amassing as many legislative wins as possible before then. 

Ask for a list of these wins in Government and the party's members are not shy about listing them: they point to the enactment of the Climate Act 2021 and the Climate Action Plan, they talk of the investment in public transport, of retrofitting and commitments to the arts and sport, but for one party source, the major focus "has to be on Ukraine".

Ok, so Ireland doesn't have the most expensive energy then, thanks for admitting the error

Encouraging proposals coming out of the EU on addressing the damage done to peatlands

Those measures shall be in place on at least:

• 30% of such areas by 2030, of which at least a quarter shall be rewetted;
    • 50% of such areas by 2040, of which at least half shall be rewetted;
    • 70% of such areas by 2050, of which at least half shall be rewetted.

30% of our peatlands rewetted by 2030,man that'll be an awesome first step to fixing the delicate ecosystem. I would hope for higher than 70% by 2050 but its a good starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Nah they won't keep dreaming. We will keep burning our turf and their is nothing u or sleepy Ryan can do xx

No misunderstanding.

The figures speak for themselves when you cross-reference your post and compare the figures with green party support which shows the population has no faith in green "solutions".

The only near daily occurrence is you attempting to ignore even the most basic statistics and verifiable facts.

I doubt you have much knowledge of past CAP`s or indeed of REPS, AEOS, GLAS or the new ACRES scheme, but if you are relying on the next CAP to empty the countryside of farmers you will be disappointed. "It will seek to ensure a sustainable future for farmers and provide more targeted support to small farmers". The E.U.Commissioner for Agriculture Janusz Wojciechowski doesn`t share the Irish Green Party`s policy of reducing cattle numbers. In fact on a recent visit to Ireland he stated the E.U. had no interest in reducing cattle numbers and their concern was food security.

Post edited by charlie14 on

You stated Ireland was the most expensive, then you provided data which showed you were incorrect 🤷‍♂️

I'm loving the "Climate Heroes" series RTE are doing. Check out the latest piece

RTE news : From agricultural land to nature reserve in five years

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the Climate Action Plan, not the Common Agricultural Policy when I say CAP.

• Advertisement

Another Climate Action Plan will be just another wish list for greens on the evidence of target achieved from such past wish lists. The E.U. Common Agricultural Plan is aimed at keeping farmers on the land to ensure food security and thus supporting rural communities.in real practical terms

Everything that you are opposed too, but thems the breaks. Nothing you or the Irish Green Party can do about it other than suck it up.

Sounds like private party polling has made the correlation on concerns and policy support that went completely over your head.

On the Samuel Johnson quote of "Depend on it sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully" it is going to be interesting to see how many of the green parliamentary party will be happy sacrificing nice lucrative political careers now they have had a taste, on the altar of an ideology when changes to legislation are but the stroke of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

This is "magical money tree" thinking. Value can only be generated by: a) harnessing natural resources, b) human productivity. You cannot generate value by paying more for what we already have. The ESB plan for 30 GW of offshore wind plus hydrogen generation and storage is to merely cater for existing demand, i.e. no additional demand growth and no exports. Hence why people are clamouring to know what it's going to cost.

Another Climate Action Plan will be just another wish list for greens on the evidence of target achieved from such past wish lists.

Indeed, 77% of all actions closed out so far so still room for improvement.

Important to note that actions not closed out are not dropped, they simply roll into the the next quarter and are tracked as delayed actions which still have to get closed out. Delays are normal and an expected part of things so the structure is already built in for actions which are not completed on time.

In essence, anything added to the action list has to get closed out regardless.

The next list of actions will be released shortly, can't wait to see what the next list will look like. Some great work done so far which is having a huge positive impact on the lives of people and the environment

• Massive investment in public transport with a heap more planned
    • Massive investment in active travel with a boat load more planned
    • Entire system of planning set up for offshore wind development with the first auctions for ORESS due to take place shortly
    • Exclusion of domestic solar panel installations from planning requirements (with some exceptions)
    • Smoky fuels ban implemented in full
    • Along with several hundred additional actions

As Bertie used to say, a lot done, a lot more to do

None of which, best case scenario for green`s politically, have made any impression on voters. Worse case it has turned voters completely away from them.

From your own link I cannot see how The Irish Green Party from their own analysis of their political support can see it otherwise. As I said, it`s going to be very interesting on your "more to do" just how many of their parliamentary party will view more of the same that will make that hangman`s knot fit even more snugly and end their lucrative political careers because of legislation that can be changed by the mere stroke of a pen.

The analysis by the Greens Party of their own political future I cannot see being looked upon by FG & FF as anything other than a warning shot across their own bows.

You say it's a bad habit, I say it's lead to prosperity in Europe. The more advanced a society becomes, the more energy is required to get there and the more they care about the environment. This is from the UN so take it up with them if you don't like it.

Really, the whole Putin caused all this is pure politalk. The EU has decided to hamstring itself all in the name of a country that's not even part of the union and for very good reasons we should add. The EU commission have caused energy prices to soar and nobody else.

I did have a chuckle at your previous comment about fuel cells. That technology is nowhere near ready. The largest I know of is in the 25MW range for Prime power (note, this is no good for peaking as it can't ramp up or down quickly enough), it takes up a lot of land and depending on the type used still requires gas to create the hydrogen through chemical processes.

Last I looked there were 70-80MW fuel cell power plants coming online somewhere in Asia, Korea possibly, but that was a while back so I've no idea if there's larger ones now or not.

It's very early days for hydrogen fuel cell power plants so no doubt there'll will be scaling up of the tech in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did the lads in the white coats come for Ryan yet?

They just can't be used for peaking though. For prime power you can theoretically keep stacking more in parallel but it's no use for peaking, which is what we are talking about here. It's okay for baseload and at the scale we are talking about it still has some emissions, although negligible. RICE would ideal but they are years away from running on pure hydrogen and aren't very energy efficient.

I've no doubt we'll get there in about 10 years, maybe, but trying to accelerate it because of a political ideology is bloody daft.

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

You and your fellow travelers are the fundamentalists tail that wags the dog. There has to be an election. Being fascist doesn't mean there's no election

Advertisement