Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.5 Creedmore

Options
  • 26-11-2022 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Been doing a bit of research into this calibre. Anything over 1,800 rounds barrel is beyond it's best, apparently. Been a lot of "new" calibres in last few years that've been & gone. .223, .308, .30.06 & 300 Win Mag still popular calibres.

I reckon . 223 & .308 are good enough (centrefire) calibres for us for vermin, deer or target shooting.

What you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Depends on the intended usage I suppose.

6mm has become extremely popular recently and rightly so.. compared to the 308 it’s flatter shooting, less affected by wind and has less recoil.. of course it has its drawbacks , as you mentioned barrel life and cost probably being the biggest two

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Looking at Hornady ammo prices not much in it for 6.5 Creedmore and .308. Seems to be a better and cheaper selection for .308 in online shops.

Barrel life would be a major factor for me. Is there anyone here doing that work now?

I reckon if I was going 6mm that 6.5x55 Swede is a great round.

Target shooting and to a lesser extent hunting one always seems to be looking for an "edge" e.g. a newer, faster, flatter round. Been there myself previously 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

Been shoot'n my Tikka M595 .243 for last 20+ years 55gr for varmint with option of 100gr for deer and its still giving me sub 1" grouping @100m after approx 2000 rounds so I can recommend .243 for an all-rounder

Just my tuppence worth

Pv

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Get a 308 necked down to 6mm like the 6mm creedmoor or... The .243 both of which are 6.2mm bullet dia with excellent ballistics

Also for barrel life reviews handloads can burn barrels out faster

Advertisement