Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/ebsm/api/public/deliverable/download?doc=true&deliverableId=83434

Interesting reading. 26,500 people in the eu were asked face to face questions. Just over a 1000 were in Ireland.

The Irish that were questioned defined themselves as - 47% The middle class of society, 34% The working class of society, 10% the lower middle class of society, 5% The upper middle class of society, 2% said none and 1% The higher class of society.

The majority of those questioned DO NOT trust The Media, Political Parties or The Government

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Phil McCracken

some on this thread have forgotten that no blacks no dogs no Irish signs were a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

and there it is…..the usual disingenuous whataboutery, using racism as a reason to dismiss any and all genuine concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You have to remember there is a very big class divide in SFs membership, especially in Dublin and Cork.

The very well heeled are the ones mostly talking about solidarity, no borders, etc etc.

People like Paul more in touch with the base, with economic realities, the practicality of construction, who just even think about it for 5 seconds, for them it's harder to go along with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some on this thread have forgotten that many Irish people didn't emigrate. They stuck it out in poorer times and helped build the country up.

That's where many of the economic immigrants should be sent. Straight back to where they came from and let them be good citizens of their state of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But you blame the Irish government for this, correct? Ukrainian refugees are in no way responsible for where they are placed, nor can it be said that admitting Ukrainian refugees to the country per se is the problem.

Struck a nerve there. Not all but some. What are the genuine concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

What are the genuine concerns about taking in 100k refugees and asylum seekers this year? You see no problem with that number?

If there's another 100k next year that'll be ticketyboo also I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I actually support Ireland taking in Ukrainians.I have great sympathy for them.Any of the ones I talk to are very grateful to be here but also want to return home.There is a war not too far from us and we have a legal and moral duty in my opinion.

What I don't support is the Government paying them €208 a week each whilst also covering all their costs.That was a laudable gesture at the start but isn't proportionate or sustainable.A couple will have nearly €22k a year disposable income.I work two jobs and my Mrs is an accountant and we wouldn't manage that.Nobody has the balls to say we need to change this.

The above is a small gripe compared to what has been done to the biggest indigenous industry in this country.It will send my business to the wall but again that's very minor compared to what's going to happen when there isn't a summer season in the tourist industry next year.Theres plenty who don't care about this now as they think "I'm alright sure I go to Spain every year,rip off Ireland" etc.They have no idea how tourism drives employment either directly or indirectly.

I don't blame the Ukrainians for any of this,the " international protection " scam (which this thread is about) is a much bigger threat.

I find it so frustrating that not only are we not trying to solve any of this but we're not even at the point where it can be discussed in the media.Think about that for a minute,this is a bigger problem than brexit,covid,the homeless crisis,the health service,climate change and all the big media,TV,papers etc are too scared to even cover it in any depth.That is frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

That is every bit as cringe as the BLM thing. Shame on them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You make some very fair points. I would suggest as well though that it's difficult to see how we could have avoided many of the problems of the large refugee intake of 2022, short of refusing to take any Ukrainians at all. It has been pointed out that per capita we have one of the highest intakes of Ukrainians in Europe, but what is being omitted from this is that, as per our neutrality, we haven't sent them any military aid.

A scenario where we refuse to take Ukrainian refugees in significant numbers and refuse to send them military aid would seem somewhat untenable in light of what other European countries are doing. Yes, the accommodation issues are severe and it has created all sorts of problems and bottlenecks for the country, but we were are in the middle of an ongoing European war.

I remember when we were told that thousands of Poles wouldn't come to Ireland, when free movement was brought in, again with Romanians.

We don't know, there could quite possibly be vast numbers. but hey, lets ignore that possibility and plan ( or don't plan) accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

It's truly shocking to read the numbers the country has been taking in. Absolutely no proportion applied whatsoever and it is borderline criminal of the politicians to hoist this burden onto the country. What's more, in budget 2023, if I was an Irish taxpayer I would be saying "there's millions upon millions to pay for this, I expect a decent tax cut myself from this money pot".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A) Very likely that they were not a thing, that single infamous photo showed up in the 80s at a local Irish exhibition in London, it has no provenance.

B) The Government now has a policy that is closer to "Dogs and Blacks but no Irish"

Even if it ever did exist which is dubious it is hardly any reason to endorse the extreme free market position on migration we now have.

That people on the left use it is truly bizarre.

refugees and asylum seekers aren’t economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They are when they come from countries that don't meet the general requirements for asylum. While they'll have the temporary status of an "asylum seeker", the end result, which is the rejection of their claim for asylum, then turns them into economic migrants. It's like murdering a man in cold blood in a street full of people. Technically you'll be innocent until proven guilty, but everyone knows that you're already guilty.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No one is going to be able to meet the accomodation need, even if the money is there.

That's obvious, and all sides know it but then we add in the fantasies that such a rapid increase in population will be commensurate with any public services, wage rises etc.

This is more radical than Reaganomics .

SF are going to have some mess to deal with in power, not that they did anything but egg it on.

I think it will tear them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, when Ireland decided to allow unrestricted movement to the new EU-10 in 2004:

" It is a deliberate misrepresentation to suggest that tens of thousands will suddenly descend en masse on Ireland." [Proinsias De Rossa, I.T.Letters, 20/8/2002

" I estimate that fewer than 2,000 will choose our distant shores each year." [P.De Rossa, I.T. Letters, 20/8/2002 ]

And was an MEP for three years at the time so not inexperienced in such matters

• Advertisement

Yes plenty of Irish fled this country over the past 700 years. This country has international legal obligations. What if war broke out here or some kind of natural disaster and countries refused to take Irish in instead greeting us “go home you paddy scum.

what if the Americans or refused the Irish fleeing the famine. It’s not the refugee or asylum seekers fault we can’t run or own country properly.

i think you’ll find Ireland has taken far less then any other country on the European continent.

I did before I posted it. If you don’t understand the terms used that’s on you.

There’s very little on your gripe list thats actually true.

A couple do not get €208 each from social welfare.

People under the International protection orders are asylum seekers not refugees, the Ukrainians are by far refugees

asylum seekers get €30 a week from the government and are not aloud work. They are kept in awful conditions for up to 10 years or more while the justice dept consider their claim.

This current crisis is not bigger than climate change in fact it’s only a precursor of things to come.

Post edited by Phil McCracken on

Economic migrants are not asylum seekers or refugees and that's what showing up on our shores from across the globe, Eonomic migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any sign of re purposing anything to accommodate these people and our own homeless (modular housing etc.) in the well heeled suburbs (of any city) yet?

Seems to me that places like West Dublin, East Wall, and any oul hotel in the back of beyond are the only sites available. The minute mass accommodation is mooted in places like Foxrock and the like, I wonder will the residents feel the same as others do around the country about the influx. Easy to hurl from the ditch as it doesn't affect them at present.

I also wonder what is included in the bar code on airline boarding passes. Does anyone know? They are scanned on departure so they must contain the information provided at check in, i.e. name, d.o.b. nationality, passport number, expiry date etc. What is the point of collecting that information if arrivals cannot be identified without the physical document? Just wondered and forgive my ignorance on the matter.

This issue is not going away. Doesn't matter whether you are in favour or agin it, it is becoming unsustainable in many ways, financial, accommodation, healthcare, education and so on. Maybe a pause for a while to draw breath and formulate some plans might be useful. It all seems so rushed, panicked and unplanned right now, and probably always has been.

Bad analogy for a start and you don’t know if what situations people are in, what would you do if some gangster or government official threatened you with beheading. Depending on who you spoke to there was never a war in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Advertisement