Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used car - timing chain replacement after 8 months

• 23-11-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I bought a used car from an independent (SIMI) dealer 8 months ago. In the last few weeks it's started to make a rattling noise when accelerating, which has been diagnosed by a local mechanic as a timing chain issue, which needs to be replaced.

I'm concerned about this as there's only 95,000km on the clock, and I've driven less than 5,000km since I bought it.

The dealer is washing their hands of it as the warranty is up. My question is, based on the mileage and how much I've driven it since purchase, would I have a decent argument in saying that the timing chain was on the way out before I bought it? Or could this genuinely be wear and tear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

No argument in my opinion. Even if the car was still under warranty its still a wear & tear item and wouldn’t be covered.

Whats the make & model and how old is the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Never heard of a timing chain to rattle on acceleration,maybe it's possible though.

Should be more noticable at idle.I'd have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Timing chain should be changed around 100000kms any way, you're lucky if you got a warning because if it breaks while driving it does a lot of harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

100000km is a shorter interval than for most timing belts. Properly serviced with good oil you might never change a chain.

You're right about it breaking, if there's a noise in it OP shouldn't wait until it breaks to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

It's a 6 year old Mazda 2.

Yeah everything I've read about timing chains seem to say that it's most notable at idle from a cold start and then disappears, but at idle mine sounds totally normal. Only audible when accelerating and it doesn't go away over time.

Might have to get another mechanic to have a look and get a second opinion on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

There is no recommended replacement interval on the mazda 2 chain. However usually a chain stretching is due to poor maintenance ie lack of oil changes. Regarding the warranty on it Id be arguing that as there is no recommended intervals and its designed to last the life of the vehicle then it should be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I like to look in through the oil cap as tells many stories as what your engine looks like and crud suggests lack of servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

My opinion would be last owner got rid of it because of timing chain was on way out . Ie last time it was seviced by mechanic and listening to engine could tell chain was on way out . personally I think garage selling knew full well chain was on way out 5000km like and it gone I would do that mileage in two months if the garage don't play ball I be bad mouthing them to anyone who would listen 👂

At very very least garage should replace it at cost price ie you pay for parts like 5000 km and chain gone. Very bad customer service if there going to wash there hand of it

Problem too would be were did you car was like a Porta cabin jobbie personally if was I would expect them to wash there hand of it

But if was an established garage around for years that be very bad customer service wash there hand of it

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd wager there's a lot more than 100000kms on it as well according to what's being said here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I made my living for a long time selling secondhand machinery. In a case like this no one is a winner but warranty is up and it was fit for purpose when sold. I can’t see an onus on the seller to do anything in this situation.

Yeah but 5000km it nothing it call customer service fix it under goodwill plus it was probably noisy to the trained ear when it was sold . At very least it should be you pay for parts and we do fitting for free would cost garage day wage for mechanic

Telling a customer to take a jump 🦘 after 5000km is very short-sighted as customer will bad mouth you to anyone who will listen

And you're living proof . " I made my living for long time selling secondhand machines" going by that your not doing it anymore you probably got a name for not standing over what you sold

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Doesnt matter about the mileage on it. Mazda have no recommended intervals for changing the chain on the 1.2. Its designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

However the timing belt on the 1.4 is recommended to be changed at 100k.

Id be fighting that one based on Mazdas recommendations. Just because the previous owner didnt look after it the new owner shouldnt be out of pocket. The OP probably got a years warranty with it. The chain based on it supposed to last the life of the vehicle couldnt be considered a "serviceable" item and should be covered as a failure. Timing Belt - a different story altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Bit harsh making assumptions like that about a lad based on one post on the internet.

When you buy secondhand you are getting a big discount so you take your chances.

I've bought cars for less than €1000 over the years that lasted with little expense.

I've also bought cars 3 years old that failed me frequently.

Ultimately if it's out of warranty then it's not the dealers problem.

Saying the dealer probably knew it was an the way out is another red herring, it is up to the buyer to do their own inspection / research before buying.

Not went op bought car from a professional dealer plus Simi registered what dealer love saying trying looking professional and accountable . Went buying from dealer especially what it sounds like a professional dealership went it Simi registered op should be able buy the car without need to get a mechanic to check it out

Dealer should fix car for free or at very minimum supplier the labour for free and op buy parts . 5000km and chain is gone and dealer won't stand over it after spending 💰 lot money on just 6 years old car with low mileages

And saying it not dealer problem word of mouth is big thing in Ireland few bad Google reviews about way treat customers will bad for there business

If somebody went moaning to me about a second hand car bought 8 months ago, out of warranty and it's all the dealers fault I'd probably laugh at them tbh.

This one is pretty black and white, second hand car l, it's out of warranty so it's just tough luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

🤣🤣🤣 may I retired? Made my millions and got out? Who knows?

how long should a warranty period be on a secondhand sale?

No one is a winner here but vilifying a dealer because he isn’t into charity work (which is basically what you are saying he should be doing) isn’t the solution, the cost of doing business is high enough without having to do this,

as for word of mouth and all that clap trap the dealer has done nothing wrong here as far as we can tell, why should he be worried about this? Unless you are suggesting someone would intentionally try and taint his reputation for not covering something that is out of warranty…

Pretty obvious 5000km later and chain is gone. I bet went car was sold if a mechanic heard engine he would be able to tell chain was on way out .

Word of mouth is big thing now especially with internet and all .of course the dealer will bad mouth to everyone op knows it only natural less than 5 thousands KM and chain gone the snake 🐍 know full well it was going went he sold it ect dealer will lost lot more than cost of fixing it with lost of car sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Between broken wheel studs and this I hope I never sell something to a boardsie😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Agreed. Dealer shouldn’t have to hear from the customer once the warranty is up

• Advertisement

Personally I think bit of goodwill is needed from dealer 6 months warranty on 6 years old car not great. Op pay for parts dealer pay the labour on repair would have been fair

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any wear on a timing chain didn't happen overnight. The OP should have had the car examined by a professional prior to buying and/or had the car checkednojt before the warranty expired. They dontnappear to have done either, despite the amount of money presumably spent on it.

Since buying it, the OP has had several months to have their new purchase checked out buy have failed to do so. None of this should fall back on the dealer who sold it and its daft to think that goodwill or any other fantasy assistance should be put on the table.

6 months is what was agreed. If people want longer they need to agree it before purchase - and pay for it.

100-percent agree But I bet if op got mechanic to give it one over went she bought it he would have heard the timing chain was on way out

Advertisement