Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭bmc58

Thanks,didn't mean to cause offence,just gave an honest opinion on the meal I saw.

Post edited by bmc58 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭bmc58

As a new poster on this forum,I'm just wondering what was the difference between my post and yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Homemade chicken satay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

igCorcaigh had said they wanted to make their own burgers recently, and mentioned that they love chopped onion in a home made burger, and we all had a chat about how to make the perfect home made burger.

Context is everything!

I made a fakeaway spice bag tonight in the air fryer with ChanChan seasoning and Mayflower curry sauce. Absolutely delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭con747

Chips look great, Mayflower curry is one of my favourites.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh that looks great @Mystery Egg, I had to Google the ChanChan spice mix, but it seems like it could be very good, with the fragrant spices that I love: Star Anise · Fennel · Cardamom · Chinese Cassia · Szechuan Peppercorn (zing!) · Ginger.

I do recognise the branding though, maybe I saw it in Aldi? Not sure...

The Mayflower curry is one of my favourites too!

The ChanChan is good - I added a sprinkle of sugar too, which my local Chinese definitely does. It was quite possibly Aldi, I bought it a couple of months back!

Only just discovered Mayflower curry sauce a few weeks back when my friend gave me a box of it. It's the closest I've come to making Chinese style curry sauce at home and as a small surprising bonus, it's somehow extremely low in calories.

Oh, I'll be sprinkling a bit of sugar (and MSG!) with it too, good tip @Mystery Egg!

We had a stuffed turkey joint from Lidl tonight, with baked potatoes, mixed veg and gravy. Desert was apple crumble and custard.

• Advertisement

I'm pimping those potato/bacon/cream packets from Lidl with extra bacon, garlic, onion, grainy mustard and creme fraiche. To go with salmon and green beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had mushroom and pea risotto on Saturday :

I deliberately made enough to have leftovers, so yesterday, we had arancini made from the leftover risotto, with a romesco-style sauce :

Absolutely NO leftovers from this one. I've come to the point where I'm making risotto just so I can then make arancini....

I have no interest in risotto but I loooooove arancini.

We had chicken and broccoli bake tonight, made from leftover roast chicken, topped with sliced potatoes brushed with garlic oil.

Looks amazing @Mystery Egg! Do you have to parboil the potatoes first? I haven't had an oven until recently, so would love to try to make some root veg or potato type gratin dish in the oven.

Nope, just thinly sliced a few Maris pipers and brushed them with garlic oil and a sprinkle of salt.

I used to top this bake with breadcrumbs and cheese but I'm watching my saturated fat intake so cheese is mostly out the window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Pork belly tacos with Fennel, cumin and paprika. Usual extras including black beans with onion and garlic. Slow cooked the pork in the oven then blasted on grill. We always eat these with cheap taco shells, family tradition.

Oh nice @Black Sheep!

Is it as simple as marinating the pork belly, then roast, grill, and slice?

• Advertisement

There's a Jamie Oliver pork belly taco recipe I use for the beans and the spice mix I rub on the pork belly strips, although I tweak it as I will explain.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/ultimate-pork-tacos-with-spicy-black-beans-avocado-green-salad/

He just pan fries the pork belly, which I think isn't great... The fat doesn't render down, it ends up very chewy.

What I do is apply the fennel, smoked paprika and cumin rub, and roast the pork belly in a tray covered in foil in the oven. 2 hours at 160 degrees or until tender. Then take it out, uncover, pour off the fat and water that has discharged, get the grill mega hot and give it the final blast to crisp up the pork belly. A bit like carnitas.

Very handy recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Decided to go fully vegetarian for this week (as in all meals for the week), with one exception - cheese, can't be arsed checking if the cheese is vegetarian or not. Not any reason for it, just to see how I get on. We normally only eat meat twice or three times a week anyway so it shouldn't be too bad. Anyway.

Salad of chickpea, cucumber, feta, pepper, avocado, radish, onion. We do a version of this semi regularly anyway, it's always filling and tasty.

Fennel risotto. Thought the fennel would be far too strong, but it wasn't at all. Really nice, this one is going on the list.

Fennell, cumin, paprika, chilli, brown sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil rub.

Uncooked obviously!

Looks like an installation piece @Black Sheep 🙂 Nice spicing!

This may look like too much onion gravy with the nut roast, but there's no such thing as too much gravy!

Kind of disturbing looking tbh

My 6 year old told me it was a bit dry (He was right).

Oh LOL! She look's like she's posing. Was always curious about that beer can technique... That chicken skin looks top notch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm looks like a version of an xmas dinner - roast parsnips? yum

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A quick weeknight dinner, just some frozen cod fish from Lidl (yay to having an oven again!), with potatoes (microwaved a bit first), tomatoes and other bits. Grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you research it, there's no advantage to doing beer can chicken (I've done it).

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

I use a roaster like above which gives the all round crispy skin but let's heat inside the chicken allowing quick cooking and juicy meat. I can do an average chicken in about 40 minutes in a hot oven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aldi ribeye, salsa verde, spuds with rosemary, urfa chili and nigella seeds and a twice baked spud with gruyere and guanciale.

And some mushrooms and tomatoes and asparagus which Id already eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Chilli beef with red peppers and sweet corn,green beans,spinach and rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cabbage linguine with mushrooms and crispy garlicky breadcrumps and chilli/anchovy oil. What, anchovies are totally vegetarian.

Home made burgers and chips tonight. Nice thin patty, burger sauce (light mayo, yellow mustard and ketchup), easi single, raw onions and home made pickles, on a toasted brioche bun. Not to everyone's taste but we really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I was flying solo last night, so used a single portion of frozen homemade bolanese from the freezer. Jazzed it up with some fresh parsley and grated parmesan!

Oh and I had an orange chocolate brownie for dessert, that I bought at a local Christmas market 🤤 It was super fudgy!

Had some scraps from a roast chicken so I did a stir fry.

Chicken, onion, garlic, chillies, green beans, stock, rice wine, soy sauce.

The chilli lottery got me. Put one green and one red chilli in, removing the bulk of the seeds. Too hot to finish comfortably!

Just a smoked mackerel with butter beans in a tapenade and semi dried tomato mix. Easy but tasty fare for a Sunday.

Peking duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ On a Monday night? What a treat! 😋

7.99 in Aldi! Can't beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭con747

That's the one. My wife didn't believe me either.

That's great @Black Sheep! Did you marinade the bird, or any ideas on how to Pekingise it?

EDIT: This recipe calls for the duck to be dehydrated overnight in the fridge, uncovered... Oh I knew this wouldn't be easy!

Very straightforward ...

Google Ken Hom peking duck recipe.

You pat the bird dry with kitchen roll and put it on a rack sitting over a roasting tin.

There's no marinade as such, just a soy, honey, water and rice wine syrup to coat the duck. You pour it all over the duck and then then duck goes in the fridge uncovered overnight. The skin kind of dries out.

The key is that when you pour the syrup all over the duck it MUST be boiling hot... It needs to actually scald the duck's skin, you should see the skin contracting. The recipe as written could be clearer on that point.

Other than that it's plain sailing... It's very satisfying when it turns the right colour.

Ah I see! So it's important to shock the skin with the hot syrup, and then leave it dry... Interesting.

Here's my first attempt at porchetta (already prepped from O'Mahony's butchers)... Hope it's not overcooked. It's resting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭sporina

Oh thank you @sporina! After a couple of years without a proper oven, it's great to experiment!

I do a very different version of crispy aromatic duck that when shredded for pancakes, turns out really well.

I half the duck and dry marinate it for a day in the fridge with sliced ginger and garlic and a spice mix made of szechuan pepper, star anaise, cinnamon, clove, black pepper and fennel seed.

Then I slow roast it, covered for around 3 hours. You will get quite a bit of "juice". Separate off the fat and keep this for another Chinese dish. When coolish, its easy enough to remove the bones. At this point, I'll often bag and freeze each half for later use.

To serve, simply crisp up the duck well in a hot wok shredding it as you go. The usual pancakes, spring onion and cucumber.

I make a spicy and sour plum sauce from a jar of salted plums but you could use the more familiar sweet plum sauce or hoisin sauce if you prefer sweet.

It won't give you the beautiful lacquered bird of the other method described here but I find it very handy to prepare in advance.

I've also just added my spice mix to Lidl confit duck legs and crisped them up in the same way. That's really quick and easy.

Beef chilli wrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

With supermarkets full of sausagemeat. No skinning required. Sausage ragu.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bolognese_sausage_rag_01151

Advertisement