Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Kemner ones are a pretty accurate homage alright. The only issue I would have is it may not satisfy that itch for you. Plus the way the vintage market is and is going I can see the real Bunds hitting the 2-2.5k mark soon enough. Oh they're advertised at 4k+ but simply aren't selling. On the rare occasions they come up for auction on the Bay 3.5k is the real "value".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks Wibbs, I do think you are right in that I may end up going vintage. To do that currently I'd need to let 1 of my Sinns or my Omega go and they are all still getting plenty of wrist time tbh. I'm hoping that if I buy the Kemmner, that it's closer to original styling and lume will make my mind up properly for me one way or the other.

Interesting article in the FT today on the resurgence of the "mini" watch. Of course it's a style more associated with ladies watches and jewellery in particular but, thought it might be of interest to some here esp as it's a free to read article.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Any recommendations for vintage watch repair, preferably in Ireland? I was recently gifted a hound-wound Longines from 1969 which is missing its crown (and possibly the stem - I've not looked properly yet).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I noticed Hodinkee and others a while back trying to push and pimp the "small dress watch" as The Next Big Thing(tm) particularly in their vintage sales. Well of course, as a 33-35mm gold or gold plated "dress" watch was pretty much the most common men's watch of the 20th century(followed by the digital watch). "Tool" watches were a rarity before the 60's and 70's.* So they'd have lots of stock to mine if they could get that trend going. Turned out they couldn't.

*military issued watches weren't so rare, but the large number out there of such in very good condition shows many if not most didn't last long in civilian life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have a look on ebay for the parts. Do you know what movement it is? 285 perhaps? Alan Tully outside Loughrea, Co Galway should be able to do it.

http://www.tullywatchrepair.com/contact-us/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Any opinions on the new omega seamaster? I think it’s very nice .The dial is much nicer than the current model and the full lume bezel is something nice that I’ve only really seen Tudor doing recently..Don’t know about price point though , €8500 rrp is a bit much for it but hopefully they will be available for less .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭893bet

8.5k. Early or late April fools surely.

My opinion is if you are foolish enough pay that then you deserve it.

It’s 2k cheaper than the titanium seamaster and that sells well so I’d say there’ll be buyers for it . Regular seamater is €6200 rrp , I paid €4k for mine . If I could get the new one for similar % discount I’d go for it .

Jimmy bond and the moon landing are well played out all right . I tried on the titanium and the clasp was uncomfortably thick under the wrist , Not sure if this steel one is similar design as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I will never ever understand clear case backs that then have stuff etched / applied on to them. Not a huge fan of the "60" marker on the bezel either

Yet another limited not so limited edition. Dial looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hi all. I recently purchased a Seiko 5 Sport which got delivered with a link removal tool. Handy, I thought. Until I tried to use it... The metal was thin and it bent and snapped pretty easily. So... In the Dublin 12 area, does anyone have a loan of a link removal tool?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks - will check him out. I am happy to mess around modding a Seiko, but this watch is an heirloom so I would rather send it to a professional.

Has the fake watch busters thread gone ?

Seems to be, that's quite an odd one if it's been nixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Thought this was interesting a very different video than normal from Jody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

The man's honesty is alarming. Really like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One of the few youtube watch channels that I actually like.

Eh yeah, it does appear to be gone. What the fúck?? I can assure ye it wasn't me that's for sure. As for finding out what's going on contacting the office is like praying, not likely to get an answer. I'll see what I can find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Post edited by Deep Thought on

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Keep an eye on ebay auctions that start low DT. They don't come along every often because either people have cash invested in one so don't want to take a bath or they've read the BIN prices, but when they do 3.500, to just over 4 is more the price than the 5-6K+ BIN "values" that get lots of watchers but no takers. Some have been on the Bay for years. Add 500+ for one with the red (3H) on the dial(though be very careful with these with too many the ink is barely dry...). The very rare sidereal time ones are 9K+. On the Military watch forum's PX sales section a German dealer chap usually has a good supply, offers guarantee etc and they're serviced by a German watchmaker who was a contractor for the Bund. He sold a non 3H example with original box(rare as rocking horse poo) and original instructions for 3900. And that's a dealer price where the dealer doesn't extract the urine. Even at that they're slow enough sellers.

Another example from the same seller above. An earlier 60's Bund issued watch(the Heuer replaced these) fully stamped on rear, flyback chrono, smaller at 38 mm, though they wear more like a 40. Fully serviced.

Three years ago they were 4K all the day long, even ropey ones. He's selling the above example for 2.5K.

It seems the fake busters thread is back but not working for me above a certain page number. Glitch in the database?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Yeah the site is buggered I think. The selling thread doesn't load beyond August for me now.

Page 54 is the last page for me with most recent post

Same for me, the thread is back but with padding. The last comment is from Schwarz on the 24/11 on page 54. Yet the thread is displaying 68 pages with 55-68 all displaying as blank but,at least that thread is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm seeing similar.

The Selling, Swapping... thread and the Fake Watch Busters are all a mess. Has there been some DB corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I think it might have been deleted because I got site banned for sharing a link that turned out to be an affiliate link, all my old disappeared

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Dave Portnoy sets up a "brand" and starts selling branded shítters for $2400😲 then gets upset when called out for his outright thievery.

Advertisement