Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think this too.

in a few years these will be more common and easily got.

by then there’s going to be the i5 and countless better options out there so residuals may not be what they are.

I could also foresee the uk doing trade deals with the EU that may start the used import game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Since the introduction of xx1 and xx2 reg are you really losing out? Obviously 231 is newer but at least with 222 you know it's not as old whereas something like 2012 could be January or December.

When I was shopping for cars in the past there was very little difference between 181 182 and 191 in price. Pesonally I didn't give a toss about the reg once the spec and mileage was what I wanted.

Recently traded a 181, offers were between €11,000 and €13,500. The only real difference in price were the ones with double the mileage being sold for a bit less and even then it wasn't much of a difference.

Also I'd dispute the "losing 25% when you drive out the door". My previous car was worth 70% 3 years later and that was pre Covid plus that was trade-in to me, not their selling price. Considering 1-2 year old EVs are being listed for what they were sold originally at I wouldn't really be too concerned about depreciation right now (or in a few years)

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ah but this will be follow with -

"I just dont want to loose money, it would be silly to lose thousands for a few weeks".....my reply would be

"If economics are the issue, well stop buying new cars then you loose thousands straight away irregardless...to which will be said

"thats facetious logic, you can care about not losing money and also want the car" to which I would say

"well BMW dealer thinks the same way that why they want you to take the car now so they can make their money and get better allocations next year" to which will be said

"I dont care about the dealer I just want the best deal for myself" to which i will say

"its great that you and the BMW dealer are so like minded you know exactly each others motivations meaning you will have no hard feelings its just a matter of who's will is strongest" - spoiler alert...you want the car 100 times more than the BMW dealer cares about selling it to you.

I know your right, but the plate year has been split once already has that not halved the issue?, if its quartered will it be better, or how about 12 individual months. Will december to jan always make a big difference? Again I will reiterate that in an inflationary environment and one where car dealers are doing price hikes on a biannual basis, the smart money is on taking the car ASAP at the agreed price. In 3 years time the car could be significantly more expensive new keeping second hand prices high, how low your buy in price was will make the difference on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Sure we might as well stay out of it and let you chat with yourself so ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Hi all, new to this. Due my E drive 40 in late Jan, went with Black so didn’t see the need for the M sport pack (can’t see most of extra trim cos it’s also black) and not fussed about steering wheel. Deal breakers for me have been adaptive cruise control and auto dim lights, both of which I’m assured I can order after market through BMW connect. Seems lights are approx 199€ and ACC is 1k. I did spec the Harmon Kardon upgrade as I’m coming from a 320d estate shadow line with it already. Never got to hear an standard level I4 sound system but the 420d I was In sounded a bit “tinny” with only 6 speakers v 16 with HK. (100w v 450w speakers)

a few quick questions: anybody have any difficulty upgrading their lights and ACC after delivery? Or how does it work?

does the entry level I4 have folding mirrors?

has anybody else researched standard v HK sound system

does the app give real time charge levels/pre conditioning battery etc or is that extra too

my sales guy is nice but a bit vague, saying due to chip availability the spec is changing all the time! So no firm answers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Have you the heads up display? It's a must. The app is excellent much better than Audi. I purchased the light package through the BMW store and it activated immediately. The app has pre conditioning, charge level and lots of features for checking the vehicle, lock and unlock, maps, Alexa, Hey BMW etc, etc.

Thanks Paul, no, the tech pack with HK, wireless charging and HUD was approx 2400€. My sales guy was “throwing in” wireless charging (approx 300€) as I was really driving him for some kind of deal. The HK was 1000€ on its own. So I’d have lost the charger good will and be in the hole for 1400€ for the HUD alone. My sales guy was v slow to change the order, but strangely the car went from 112 to 111 (sorry if I’ve that wrong) but up the production line and is due to be made this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wireless phone charging a €300 option? Was standard on a €25k econobox Hyundai EV back 6 years ago and costs BMW about €10 to provide. Personally I wouldn't be without wireless charging, but there is no way I would pay anywhere near €300 for it. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I justified it by saying I spend at least 10€ X 4 per year on cheapy cables. Over 5 years I’m 2/3 the way there to breaking even

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I built one into my Tesla myself for about €12 in parts. Wireless pad, double sided tape. Under the slim rubber "mat" that came with the car in the centre console

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And they are standard in all new teslas now. Even standard in a Kia eNniro. Not a chance I’d pay BMW €300 for it.

Frank Keanes have a 22 i4 eDrive 40 for €82k currently. Not sure of exact options to bring the second hand price up to that level but it’s very close to M50 base.

But just in case anyone’s looking.

They increased the price of both 2022 i4’s they have by 3k in the last week. That car was up at 79k. I assume because the new price increased by a similar amount.

The wireless charger in the i4 is the same as the 3 series and it’s a bad design with no venting or air flow around it. It’s fine for short periods but cooks the phone after a while causing it to overheat and power down so if you’re using CarPlay etc it stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I agree with the wider plate chasing should stop.

However the solid reasons it should stop *don't* include facilitating a dealer/manufacturer combo.

Who between them had no problem messing you about for ages on your order.

This "we can sell this car 10 times over vibe" is getting boring at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Agreed it's pretty crap. Not sure why but wireless android auto is a massive power drain also which means wireless charging can't keep up. An hour journey and my S10 is nearly flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Have you used the BMW Wireless charger? My last two BMWs had wireless charging and I still used cables as I found the location of the charger so inconvenient it just wasn't usable, I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

Nope. I find CarPlay is better with cable as well (as apposed to Bluetooth) anybody order the ACC over the air? I just find it very strange they would build a car with the radar etc in the bumper and then just leave it, on the off chance you’d spend a grand for ACC. Told my dealer if he comes up with some story that I need some hardware and can’t do the over the air adaptive cruise control with my model then I’m walking away. Guess we will test his theory that he can sell 10 of them a day then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Seriously 300 quid for wireless phone charging what a racket, mercedes charging 1200 plus vat per year for a performance upgrade on its evs as well now

It’s just typical BMW to be honest. A feature that is included on many cheaper cars is just an opportunity to charge more. I have seen in some forums that there was an issue getting these upgrades to work on the i4 through connected drive but that’s probably been ironed out by now.

to answer one of your earlier questions, folding mirrors are standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I don’t have the option at the moment to upgrade to ACC or adaptive headlights. As carsfan mentioned there is some problem with the software on the car so you can’t remotely activate it.

This is normal. The other poster that said they done it, done it on a 530e I assume as they haven’t got an i4.

BMW are working on getting it sorted seemly.

So for the slow learners down in Kerry…. Does this mean I won’t be able to give them 1000€ when I get it and ask them to upgrade the ACC? Have they given you a date you can do this? Is the hardware essentially on the car though?

Post edited by Gumbo on

The hardware will be there alright. All i4’s have adaptive mode which changes the regeneration and brake effect depending on what’s in front of you. The sensor is the same as for adaptive cruise but BMW want you to pay for the extra functionality.

How does that feature differ from the ACC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Did approx 700km the last two days.

Cork to Dublin to the north, back to Dublin and back to Cork the next day.

The car really is a pleasure to drive.

The Ionity chargers are excellent when driving long distance, still on the one year discount so cost me approx 22 euro for 700km.

Kill North was perfect yesterday AM but Dublin City North both were in use when I got there. Didn't have to wait long thankfully.

Coming back I stopped in Cashel today for a quick top up and I took the final free slot, a Tesla arrived 2 mins later and was waiting.

I see Ionity are adding 2 more in Cashel and 2 more in Dublin city North. Very welcome, even after my 1 year discount rate I'd happily pay full price for Ionity. They really do offer great convenience.

• Advertisement

Advertisement