Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First half of this game was very disappointing. Surprised at the amount of changes Japan made. Pleased to see Junya Ito come on now.

Instant impact from Ito. Free-kick in a good area. Can't beat the wall. Japan will be raging if they can't win this as Costa Rica are maybe the worst team in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Japan making a mess of themselves. They really need to win this. Can see Spain and Germany drawing and Spain beating Japan, putting Germany through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This feels worse than usual alright… wonder if most of the teams only having a few days together before the tournament is part of the problem. No time to work on anything but quite basic defensive stuff.

Think it’s notable that one of the more cohesive teams have been the Saudis. They met up a month before the tournament began, so had way more time to work together, and they look like they all know exactly what they’re doing with coordinated attacks and defenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Games like this always remind me of a Rory McGrath line from They think It's All Over, when he was asked to provide commentary on a yacht race:

"Riveting. One of the many things I'd rather be doing than watching this."

Oh my goodness. Costa Rica goal. Japan shoot themselves in the foot.

Don't know why Yoshida did that, followed by Morita with a weak tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Utterly undeserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terribly sloppy goal to give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Seems the giant killers struggle with lesser opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's a sucker punch for Japan. Played all the football, though they haven't been great in the final third, and find themselves behind to Costa Rica's first shot on target in the tournament. Looks like Germany have been handed a Get out of Jail Free Card.

• Advertisement

Big couple of minutes for Japan coming up. A draw would see them through provided Spain beat Germany later. Lose this and I think they've thrown away their chance.

All over. Japan really disappointing. I think they paid for too many changes. Seemed like they went into the game hoping not to lose rather than going all out for the win. Wrong approach and paid for it.

Looks like Germany have been handed a Get out of Jail Free Card.

Yep, AFAIK they could lose tonight and still go through if they give Costa Rica a good hiding, assuming Spain beat Japan...

Japan have kamikazed their chances of getting out of the group now. They just weren't at it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Japan have definitely ‘lost face’ there. They played like the worst of a Stephen Kenny Ireland team. Fair flipping play to Costa Rica. I was thinking this WC is the most competitive I can remember, at the early stages anyway.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Crap. And not just the game!

Wanted Japan to win, so Germany would have to go for it tonight. Now a draw will probably do, and even with a defeat they may even be favourites for the runners up spot now. You would definitely favour them to beat Costa Rica and Spain to beat Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm not sure I fancy Germany to get a draw with Spain....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hopefully Spain give them a hiding tonight,really fcuk up their goal difference,Japan will be gutted if they don't go through,in hindsight CR shipping 7 v Spain left it tight

There is a scenario, there's lots of scenarios. But if Spain beat Germany tonight, which they probably should, then they might rest players for the game against Japan. If Japan can get a draw in that game, and Germany beat Costa Rica, it would end up:

Spain 7 points

Japan 4 points

Germany 3

Costa Rica 3

Minamino one of the game changers the other day, and has the best goal scoring record of anyone in their squad, and only given 10 minutes today. Seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I reckon Morocco can get something from the next game. They were stubborn against Croatia, while Belgium didn't look very good against Canada. I'll go 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Could be spot on alright, just feels like teams are cancelling each other out slot and playing not to lose rather than win. Here's hoping it picks up a bit in the knock outs

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Must be huge numbers of Moroccans traveled. Some amount of whistling every time Belgium have the ball. At least the game has an atmosphere I suppose.

I think it is world football has just got smarter. Gone are the days when you had teams like Cameroon back in 1990 who were tactically naive and used to flood forwards, regardless.

As for this Belgium v Morocco match. It must have an edge because the players and fans can insult/wind up each other in fluent French. Seems like a fantastic atmosphere anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

RTE player messing up again or is it Just me?

My alternate way of watching seems fine.

Have Belgium practised a single set piece? Absolutely rubbish ability to send in anything from a dead ball.

I’m watching on the rte player app, working grand here anyway.

Morocco take the lead!

Hang on, might be offside. Yep, it's chalked off. And that's half-time.

Belgium struggling to impose themselves. Morocco winning it back well but sloppy in possession.

Offside for me. Number 6

There's a shock lead for Morocco from a free kick right on the stroke of half-time. VAR might intervene though.

Has to be chalked off. Saiss clearly offside and clearly goes for it

• Advertisement

Belgium off the hook big time

No goal. Belgium are so, so fortunate.

You’re right. Morocco doing well keeping it tight so far.

Lucky break, but at the same time if Saiss isn’t there I reckon Courtois claims it handy enough.

Not a bad game so far. Belgium very poor from all dead balls. Morocco attack on the break at speed makes it decent despite the inability in the last third to hit target.

De Bruyne looking a shadow of himself this tournament so far. Doing some tidy enough stuff, but not imposing himself the way we’d expect. Same applies to Belgium in general I suppose.

They really miss that sometimes-telepathic Lukaku-De Bruynne connection.

Boufal close there.

Do the locals not automatically support the 'Arab' team, especially against a big European one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Could not believe the result from the early game, unreal.

Can't see Germany screwing up a second time. At least I hope not.

• Advertisement

They probably would, if any locals had any interest in going to games (even their own 😅)

Boufal was Morocco's best player, I thought. Aboukhlal coming on is a good talent.

1-0 Morocco! I think that lead is deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Good

Belgium are terrible

How have the Belgians put up with Martinez for so long, baffling

Bloody hell that was poor from Courtois, and Belgium in general.

Really look a lot less than the sum of their parts. Even if they progress it’s surely the end of Martinez anyway, but probably two campaigns later than it should have been. What a waste of a serious well of talent.

You walk away for a few minutes and you miss the only goal of the match.

• Advertisement

Seen the replay, similar enough events to the first goal that was ruled out.

Aguerd has been quality again.

My man Aboukhlal!

2-0 Morocco. It's all over for sure now.

Very good finish placed in the top right hand corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement