Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Model 3 Long Range.

Sports Boost was available after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Acceleration boost. €1.8k reduces 0-60mph from 4.4s to 3.9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I haven’t seen this before, where a specific bay at a hub is painted for disabled drivers. It’s in France (Normandy) and becoming more common there so might arrive here at some point in the future.

Is the site in Dundrum still the only one here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Newly opened health centre in Enniscorthy has disabled charging spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Hi all,

I've a Passat GTE that with my commute, I've brimmed the tank 3 times since February. A full EV is long way off being spreadsheetably sensible, but I'm wondering is there any value left in importing a NI registered EV, and whether it's still possible to find one which escapes the post-Brexit customs and VAT.

Skoda, Kia or Hyundai is what I'd be interested in.

I know this is covered to death on the forum, but I'm hurtling towards a stage in life where I'm getting bogged down with information overload! So I figured I'd ask the people in the know. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't bother @bbk. Second hand EV prices in the UK are higher than they are here these days. The country is a bit ahead of us, people are more aware that EVs are coming, so demand is higher. With similar limited supply that means second hand prices are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Considering petrol is currently way cheaper than diesel anf you’ve only bought 3 tankfuls of petrol in 6 months, I’d suggest you stick with the GTE if it’s in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realise that but it makes sense.

Is that NI customs and vat avoidance still stand for NI cars between a certain year and ownership criteria?

I know I'm a long long way from it being worth doing considering how well a Phev is working for me. I saw a 2020 Audi Etron for 40k Gbp which seems a lot less than new. More curious than anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is Johnstown estate. 2 Tesla chargers, one Bay marked disabled. As they are tethered chargers it more difficult to park in the space on the left and stretch the charging cable to reach.

I'm terms of bringing in NI cars, yes it can be done. As the charger infrastructure is so bad in NI some people give up on fairly new EVs so you might get a bargain. As others have said your fuel savings may be negligible. You need to be 100% sure your import will satisfy all the criteria such as first bought in NI, and factor in the taxes and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

With only 2 charging bays and having one set to disabled I could see leading to some moral dilemmas for people.... One bay is occupied and your SOC is 2%, do you wait for the occupied space to become free or use the disabled space? you could use the disabled space and wait in the car and relinquish the disabled space should a disabled driver need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well the bay is marked as disabled parking, not disabled charging, at least based on the satellite view.

So it implies that a disabled person could park there even if they don't need to charge (which is a bit of a dilemma itself)

If that's the case, then I don't think you'd be okay to park up for a quick charge, because it should be kept free for disabled parking.

It's a slow charger anyway, so there probably won't be many stopping on for a quick charge anyway

You might be okay if you sat beside the car, but you'd realistically be standing there for over an hour

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Disabled parking taking one of the bays is nonsense. And I say that as someone that has a blue badge in the family EV.

Why do you say that? It's a bit OTT that 50% of the chargers are reserved for disabled parking but it seems fair that there should be bays dedicated to disabled guests who have EVs

There should be 8 AC chargers to begin with...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Because it means a charger can be blocked by someone using the EV bay who doesnt have an EV, but the blocking is legit because the space is marked blue. Of course, we have both, a blue badge and an EV, so get the best of both worlds! But thinking out loud for the vast majority of EV users this is a waste of scarce resources

I agree that the fact that it can be used for disabled parking without charging is a major oversight, and something that should be fixed. The bay should be for disabled charging only, not parking

However I think the idea of dedicated disabled charging bays is a good one. For someone with mobility problems a car is much more of a necessity than for the rest of us, so access to charging is important as well

With ICE cars it's difficult enough, forecourt attendants are gone now so disabled people either need to bring a helper or put up with the added hassle and do it themselves

At least forecourts have space to get a wheelchair out though, most AC chargers are just shoved into a normal bay

DC chargers are a bit better, but looking at the spaces around them I suspect many of them wouldn't meet the standard for disabled parking

So I think there's an opportunity to fix that problem and I think it's good to see some attempts to do so, however poorly thought out they might be

As I said though, it's OTT to make 1 of only 2 chargers a disabled parking space. The fact that chargers are scarce is the root of the problem, there should be more like 8 chargers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think common sense kicks in, even if blue badge you have to be actively charging to occupy an EV charge space

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

On that blue badge piece and not having an EV parking there. Recently I was in my local LIDL(very busy Saturday afternoon) and saw 2 people arguing over the charge bays. The car park was jammers and a lad parked his EV in the EV charging bay but was NOT charging. He came out to an angry EV owner and they proceeded to argue about why he was parked there and not charging. He said "The paint on the ground says e cars only, not EV charging only" and his car is an EV whether or not he is charging or not. Frankly I don't see too much fault in that argument but then again he shouldn't have blocked the space.

I'd say common sense isn't very common and people can be very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I don’t believe for a minute that anyone genuinely believes that those spaces are for parking without charging - they’re just chancing their arm and using unclear road markings as a defence if anyone calls them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A guy in my local Tesco who drives a Prius PHEV used to park in one of the charging spots every day for about 3 months, and never plugged in, despite the carpark always only ever being about 30% full….

I posted a pic on an Irish EV Facebook page and within a day or 2 he stopped parking there and hasn’t done since!!

100% agree, people will chance their arms as often as they can, especially if there's advantageous or free parking involved

I'll admit I've probably parked and plugged in a few times when I didn't really need it to get free parking, but at least I was using the service provided

Blocking EV chargers is just the worst karma, especially for EV drivers. You know it's going to happen to them at some point as well and they'll be the ones giving out about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

The introduction of charging has resulted in a miraculous improvement to the access to the Lidl charges near me. Previously one was occupied almost exclusively by a Model 3 while a BMW phev spent an inordinate amount of time on another. The introduction of charging must have coincided with a move of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Tesco in Wexford there was a woman sitting in a Zoe not plugged in, there's 2 hours free parking there 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This guy works in Tesco so his car is parked there all day!!!! And he parked in one of the charging stops for the whole day!!! And I never saw it plugged in!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quite simply there are last f****rs around. If the charger/charge point is publicly accessible the legislation covers it, must be actively charging

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Seeing as this is the random chat thread, I see that theres now, in total, 67,000 electric cars INCLUDING plugin hybrids in Ireland. I actually thought there was way more than that

The target is 1million target within the next 7 years, If my sums are right, thats a 1400% increase in EVs and potentially a 1400% increase in demand on chargers.

Thats a mindblowing increase in such a short space of time, and if theres fights over charging spaces now when there are relatively speaking very few EVs , this could escalate quickly

The 1 million target was plucked out of someone's rear end and never had a basis in reality. Sounds impressive though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thats kindof the issue too though.

If its such a crazy figure, then the ESB and everyone else can sit back and say it'll never happen, so the charging and grid infrastructure dont get massively upgraded. And with a cr@p infrastructure, the attractiveness of EVs is limited, or at least tainted.

BUT then imagine if through regulation of ICEs/ grants for Evs/ love of infinate instantaneous torque - EVs suddenly do become popular and every year the guts of 150,000 Evs get registered in Ireland - there'd be carnage.

One thing that got me thinking of the chicken and egg question was the unbelieveable announcement in Germany a couple of weeks ago (who also have the greens in) that maybe it might actually be sensible to build the charging network BEFORE the anticipated gigantic imminent surge in EV purchases !!

Never happen here, we prefer announcing grand gestures with no planning or any concept of how to deliver. Then when patently non attainable we just blame the weather or Ukraine or Brexit etc and publish another Programme for Government announcing another set of equally fantastically unattainable targets never to be delivered and rinse and repeat every 4 - 5 years or so.

The Greens have already walked back on that target, it's down to 935,000 or so

They're pushing public transport and cycling, which are both great except they aren't going to install proper infrastructure, so people will just stick to cars anyway

Business as usual in other words 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

And is going to be reduced further again shortly.

I've seen two potential targets floated.

1) 650,000 EVs by 2030

2) 1/3 of vehicles on the road to be EVs in 2030.

Note that EVERY BEV will count towards that figure including a 40 tonne Volvo truck BEV.

We need an urgent discussion on what exactly is achievable up to 2030 and BEYOND in terms of infrastructure.

And if we set an infrastructure target how do we develop ways to over achieve on it.

Need clever tactical work on things like mobile DC charging solutions like the Porsche charging trailer.

Need to look at how infrastructure will be used and can be used to maximum benefit.

I'm bored with the Irish official attitude of "but its too hard".

Advertisement